Thread: I need a wee pep talk

Unhappy I need a wee pep talk

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've been on here but I guess I needed a pep talk and maybe some advice so wanted to come on and post.

I'm 38, I've had Rosacea for as long as I remember. I certainly don't remember a time when I've not had it - but I guess it was mid 20s when I became aware of it. I believe my Rosacea is quite ununusal as it effects my cheeks, temples and forehead - leaving a white area around my eyes. It basically looks like I've been in the sun with sunglasses on ALL THE TIME. I get asked this constantly and every time I start to flush instantly, and I just want the earth to swallow me up. I wish I was more confident and didn't react this way but I really can't help it.

I've been following a vegan diet for nearly 4 years now - and I guess I convinced myself that by doing this I'd heal myself from the inside out. I wanted to believe that so badly but 4 years down the line, I find myself in no better a position than I was before.

I caught myself in a photograph recently, and I thought is that really what I look like? I sometimes feel like I don't know how much longer I can on like this. I hate mirrors - and cameras, especially with other people around. I feel I instantly flush when someone pulls a camera out, or I catch myself in a mirror when there are other people about.

It just makes me so sad sometimes.

I haven't been on any medication for those 4 years, and probably for a while before that. I did have laser treatment about 8 years ago - but after 3 treatments costing in total 1500 I decided I didn't notice a dramatic enough of a difference to continue. Plus my bank balance couldn't take the risk.

So I guess I wanted to come back on to see if anything has changed over the past few years and try to motivate myself to try something new and keep going

look up soolantra

I understand completely.

If being a vegan didn't work then I think it's time you became a carnivore. See how that goes. I know being a vegan sounds like an extremely health way of life but for who??

Lower (not eliminate) your carbs a bit and add in some protein (meat, fish, eggs, chicken of all varieties) and don't skimp on the fat. Make the carbs the smallest part of the meal and eat them at the end and only if you still feel hungry.

Mouths watering just thinking about that now!!!

My roots are Scottish to!!
    Last edited by BigW; 11th February 2018 at 02:43 AM.

Try propranolol or clonidine for the emotional blushing - it could really help! If you try propranolol then you should know that it only kicks in about after an hour since taking it.
    If this helps: I know my social blushing has gone down a lot in the past three years. God knows, I used to go bright red whenever anything involving me conversing with other people happened. Giving school presentations was a nightmare.

With time.. it just somehow died down. I can talk to people now and not feel anything in the face. I still sometimes blush in extremely awkward situations but it goes away pretty fast and I don't feel super embarrassed about it anymore.
    This article might help a ton with the social blushing aspect, it did for me: http://www.uncommonhelp.me/articles/...blushing-tips/.
    As for the general redness that's not evoked by emotions... no one knows what to do, apart from zapping lasers.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by eIegantsquatIobster View Post
    As for the general redness that's not evoked by emotions... no one knows what to do, apart from zapping lasers.
    Good luck!
    Laser treatment was a complete and utter waste of money for me which led to greater frustration. My wife agreed to it because we both thought the expense would improve my life which would continue on to hers.

I truly believe this can be solved nutritionally. I've had mine pretty much under control for a couple of years now by completely eliminating gluten and reducing foods with histamines.

I know it's a hassle researching and experimenting and processes of elimination but it's 100% worth it in the long run.

I also cut out tinned sardines and legumes which were a huge part of my diet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigW View Post
    Laser treatment was a complete and utter waste of money for me which led to greater frustration. My wife agreed to it because we both thought the expense would improve my life which would continue on to hers.

I truly believe this can be solved nutritionally. I've had mine pretty much under control for a couple of years now by completely eliminating gluten and reducing foods with histamines.

I know it's a hassle researching and experimenting and processes of elimination but it's 100% worth it in the long run.

I also cut out tinned sardines and legumes which were a huge part of my diet.
    Hi BigW,

What kind of lasers did you try? Did you have telangiectasis or general redness that did not show improvement?

Thank you,
    M.

Quote Originally Posted by eIegantsquatIobster View Post
    Try propranolol or clonidine for the emotional blushing -
    Good luck!
    I actually think propranolol or clonidine would help with baseline redness as well. They did for me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    Hi BigW,

What kind of lasers did you try? Did you have telangiectasis or general redness that did not show improvement?

Thank you,
    M.
    Hi Miss M.

General redness which was my main issue. I didn't have it all the time but it would come on in the weirdest of situations for no apparent reason and at different intensities.

The burning sensation got so intense sometimes, ice would just melt so quickly when I put it on my skin.

The frustrating thing was I could not find a pattern in why it would happen despite keeping accurate food diaries including moods, stress levels and work loads.

I got on the computer after even hiding from my family with tears in my eyes I was so stressed about it. Nothing usually phases me but that condition really got the better of me.

I did try Clonidine after reading some people had success with it because I was at my wits end and would have tried ANYTHING but it dropped my blood pressure so low once I almost passed out after a few push-ups!!

Thanks for the replies. Apologies I didn't see them until now!

Going to the doctor's today so I shall ask about your recommendations.

The anti-flushing medications (e.g. clonidine and propranolol) will be helpful to baseline redness as has been suggested above as will diet modifications. Laser and IPL do not work for a lot of people with rosacea, although they seem to help a minority.