Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timoptol-LA 0.5% stops my cheeks flushing

Quote Originally Posted by eIegantsquatIobster View Post
    Hello, my derm allowed me today to try 1mg/g topical timolol gel which is officially meant for eyes. I guess that makes it to be only 0,1%! In studies with topical timolol for infantile hemangiomas they use 0,5% strength more often. So, I'm currently a little bummed out that this might be too small of a concentration, but at least I'll see if it gives any negative effects. I have a very tiny 5g bottle of the gel so I will test it out on my right cheek only. I put two drops on like 2 hours ago. So far haven't noticed any change in color or "feel" at all. I'll keep you posted!
    P.S. I am realllly lucky with my derm, she is so so kind and helpful and lets me try out all this weird s***. I wish everyone had a dermatologist like that.
    Good luck elegant! How goes it so far?

Hey! So I've been applying it now 3 times daily for 4 days. So far no difference whatsoever - nothing good but nothing bad either.
    I just looked up online - there's a timolol eye medication available at 0,5% too, if this doesn't do anything I could ask for that one.
    Last edited by eIegantsquatIobster; 3rd February 2018 at 08:19 PM.

Hey! So I've been applying it now 3 times daily for 4 days. So far no difference whatsoever - nothing good but nothing bad either.
    I just looked up online - there's a timolol eye medication available at 0,5% too, if this doesn't do anything I could ask for that one.
    "Nothing bad" is promising imo haha.

Yeah the one I tried (and the OP too) was 0.5%

So, it's been exactly two weeks now, so time for an update. I don't have much to say. Unfortunately, nothing is noticeably better, but rather at times a tiny bit worse. The cheek I'm treating sometimes (not often though) has a patch that's a bit redder than the surrounding skin and the other cheek. HOWEVER, other times it appears a little paler or the same colour as the other cheek. The occasional mild redness on the treated cheek, however, concerns me a bit but I'm not completely sure yet it's because of the timolol. Could be just my random rosacea redness fluctuations. I think it is too early yet to tell anything for sure so I'm just gona continue my experiment as before. I am considering toning down the treatment to 2x daily, I will let you know if I decide to really do that.

So, it's been exactly two weeks now, so time for an update. I don't have much to say. Unfortunately, nothing is noticeably better, but rather at times a tiny bit worse. The cheek I'm treating sometimes (not often though) has a patch that's a bit redder than the surrounding skin and the other cheek. HOWEVER, other times it appears a little paler or the same colour as the other cheek. The occasional mild redness on the treated cheek, however, concerns me a bit but I'm not completely sure yet it's because of the timolol. Could be just my random rosacea redness fluctuations. I think it is too early yet to tell anything for sure so I'm just gona continue my experiment as before. I am considering toning down the treatment to 2x daily, I will let you know if I decide to really do that.
    hey elegant - can you remind me again if you struggle with flushing cheeks or permanent redness or ...? (I seem to remember you posting about flushing nose? but you aren't applying timolol there?) I am thinking about giving my timolol eye drops another try, as it was 1.5 years ago - when my rosacea was pretty uncontrollable - when I first tried it. Maybe it would be more amenable to topical timolol now.

Tried timolol for 3 applications, but it might have lost potency (no difference).

A (non-rosacea) friend kindly tried it too haha, also no difference

Might try to get another rx

Hi, I mostly have redness that comes and goes but in the last year roughly the redness stays more often than the paleness. I can still get pale randomly but it's more and more rare and I haven't been reeeallly pale in a while
    Yes, I wrote here about my nose issues. It is currently the worst part of my face because it is almost always more or less red and really reactive.
    I didn't try timolol on my nose just in case it does something bad.
    I'll be honest - for the past days I've been lazy with my timolol applications. It's because I couldn't see any real, stable difference and decided that maybe the concentration is too small. I have an appointment with my derm on 12th of March, then I'll ask if I could try 0,5%. I'll keep you updated!

Speaking of it not working after 3 tries, I think this is supposed to be more of a long term drug which shows effect (hopefully) after about a month or more of application. In the studies with infantile hemangiomas, the lesions regress for months and the patients keep applying beta blockers even for 6 months and longer.

Hey, so probably no one's following this but I will update anyway. I was supposed to visit derm 2 days ago and ask for a stronger timolol solution BUT stupidly by mistake I missed the appointment LOL and now have to wait another month to see my derm.
    Now I've restarted using 0,1% timolol on my right cheek twice daily (previously i used it 3x daily on the same cheek and the results were no change to slightly worse).

I began doing this like 2 days ago, will update.

Hey, so probably no one's following this but I will update anyway. I was supposed to visit derm 2 days ago and ask for a stronger timolol solution BUT stupidly by mistake I missed the appointment LOL and now have to wait another month to see my derm.
    Now I've restarted using 0,1% timolol on my right cheek twice daily (previously i used it 3x daily on the same cheek and the results were no change to slightly worse).

I began doing this like 2 days ago, will update.
    I´m following, so please feel free to update