Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timoptol-LA 0.5% stops my cheeks flushing

Default Timoptol-LA 0.5% stops my cheeks flushing

I have had Rosacea since 1982, facial flushing and swelling with no pustules or papules. In December I was prescribed Timoptol-LA (I'm from the UK) to treat glaucoma, my eyes are pretty terrible. It is a gel consistency rather than liquid eye drops and very difficult to apply. I got some on my right cheek and even though I wiped it off quickly about 1 hour later my right cheek was not red.
    Since then I have been putting 2 drops of the gel on each cheek, in the morning and once at night and my redness has gone, it is like a miracle as nothing has worked for me in 45 years.
    I can't find anything about this on the forum and I have searched, has anyone else tried this and had success.

Quote Originally Posted by Johndlwdbm View Post
    I have had Rosacea since 1982, facial flushing and swelling with no pustules or papules. In December I was prescribed Timoptol-LA (I'm from the UK) to treat glaucoma, my eyes are pretty terrible. It is a gel consistency rather than liquid eye drops and very difficult to apply. I got some on my right cheek and even though I wiped it off quickly about 1 hour later my right cheek was not red.
    Since then I have been putting 2 drops of the gel on each cheek, in the morning and once at night and my redness has gone, it is like a miracle as nothing has worked for me in 45 years.
    I can't find anything about this on the forum and I have searched, has anyone else tried this and had success.
    This is the same thing as timolol, right? A derm prescribed me the timolol eye drops for my flushing rosacea (flushing every night). Apparently it's used to treat haemangiomas (I had to look up how to spell that lol!) in babies. Unfortunately, after 2 applications** I had severe rebound I had put 1 drop on each cheek. Before I used it, I had asked my derm if it was anything like mirvaso and she assured me that it was not a band-aid like mirvaso and that it wouldn't give me any rebound heh. I'm just a little bitter about that ^_^

I think there was another user who found topical timolol helpful if you search. But I'm surprised there aren't more who have tried it.

I'm curious if you ever tried (oral) beta blockers? Even though it did not work for me, I am very glad you have found something that works for you

** Edit - I meant 2 days. I had applied morning, evening, morning, evening, and I thought I had rebound that night (that didn't happen the first day). Anyway
    Last edited by laser_cat; 29th January 2018 at 02:25 AM.

Hi, you mentioned swelling. How did the swelling present for you? Did it change the contours of your face?

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Hi, you mentioned swelling. How did the swelling present for you? Did it change the contours of your face?
    I would get a huge flushing episode every night as I lay in bed (that is how my Rosacea first presented out of nowhere). The redness goes away after around 1 hour, the swelling stays all night and would take around 3 hours to go away after getting up in the morning and walking around. When swollen there was noticeable contour changes on my face. I had swelling straight away from the very first time I flushed when I first had rosacea. Must be fluid in the skin from the huge increase in blood-flow, and it takes hours to go down.

I have stopped using Timoptol for the past 6 days and my Rosacea while there is still much calmer. I haven't had any rebound so I am going to continue using it again from tomorrow.

I would get a huge flushing episode every night as I lay in bed (that is how my Rosacea first presented out of nowhere). The redness goes away after around 1 hour, the swelling stays all night and would take around 3 hours to go away after getting up in the morning and walking around. When swollen there was noticeable contour changes on my face. I had swelling straight away from the very first time I flushed when I first had rosacea. Must be fluid in the skin from the huge increase in blood-flow, and it takes hours to go down.

I have stopped using Timoptol for the past 6 days and my Rosacea while there is still much calmer. I haven't had any rebound so I am going to continue using it again from tomorrow.
    Before I tried it I had found

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02774590

and what especially intrigued me was -

"In a single experiment where the test case was the PI (a practicing physician), the investigators treated his rosacea with timolol for this off-label indication and have noticed an improvement in flushing and an unexpected improvement in acneiform eruptions associated with the rosacea. After 30 days, less flushing and acneiform lesions were noted on the treated right side compared to the left side . Similarly, at 60 days after treatment, as visualized by infrared imaging, significantly less inflammation and flushing was noted on the treated right side even outside of episodes of flushing. The improvement was durable, such that after a 60 day washout, improvements were still noted."

Pls keep us posted, wishing you continued success!

Hello guys! Very glad to hear about your beta blocker success! I have a derm appointment in 3 days and I have already been waiting for it since the beginning of the year to ask about the same treatment - topical beta blockers. I also have read the study laser_cat just posted about.

laser_cat, sad to hear you had rebound from this type of topical medicine. That's odd, I've read a bunch about beta blockers and they don't seem to have a rebound..

OP, please keep us posted. Once I hopefully get my beta blockers, I'll try them out straight away and post here. Good luck to everyone!
    Last edited by eIegantsquatIobster; 31st January 2018 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    This is the same thing as timolol, right? A derm prescribed me the timolol eye drops for my flushing rosacea (flushing every night). Apparently it's used to treat haemangiomas (I had to look up how to spell that lol!) in babies. Unfortunately, after 2 applications I had severe rebound I had put 1 drop on each cheek. Before I used it, I had asked my derm if it was anything like mirvaso and she assured me that it was not a band-aid like mirvaso and that it wouldn't give me any rebound heh. I'm just a little bitter about that ^_^

I think there was another user who found topical timolol helpful if you search. But I'm surprised there aren't more who have tried it.

I'm curious if you ever tried (oral) beta blockers? Even though it did not work for me, I am very glad you have found something that works for you
    I am curious laser_Cat on the name of the timolol eye drops you used?. There could be a difference in some of the ingredients that could have caused a problem. I have used different ones over the years for my eyes, and all of them were of the typical watery type. This Timoptol-LA is a gel, which surprised me as it is very awkward when using it on my eyes but it is very easy to apply to my skin. A watery solution would be more difficult to manage. Anyway I have started using it again, two drops in the morning and again at night, my face is feeling cooler and calmer without the flushing.

I am curious laser_Cat on the name of the timolol eye drops you used?. There could be a difference in some of the ingredients that could have caused a problem. I have used different ones over the years for my eyes, and all of them were of the typical watery type. This Timoptol-LA is a gel, which surprised me as it is very awkward when using it on my eyes but it is very easy to apply to my skin. A watery solution would be more difficult to manage. Anyway I have started using it again, two drops in the morning and again at night, my face is feeling cooler and calmer without the flushing.
    Sure - mine was timolol maleate 0.5%, watery consistency. I wonder if it made a difference. Good to know about the gel form. I still have it, maybe it's worth another try. Like you, my rosacea involved flushing at night, starting out of the blue. I remember it made my skin the same shade as my neck (blindingly super pale ... no wonder I have rosacea lol!) during the day.

Can I ask you if you ever tried oral beta blockers? I wonder about the difference between topical + systemic (eg which is stronger..)

Thanks for keeping us updated

Thanks for the reply. I swell also. Where exactly was the swelling?

Mine occurs mostly on my left cheek near my jaw line

Hello, my derm allowed me today to try 1mg/g topical timolol gel which is officially meant for eyes. I guess that makes it to be only 0,1%! In studies with topical timolol for infantile hemangiomas they use 0,5% strength more often. So, I'm currently a little bummed out that this might be too small of a concentration, but at least I'll see if it gives any negative effects. I have a very tiny 5g bottle of the gel so I will test it out on my right cheek only. I put two drops on like 2 hours ago. So far haven't noticed any change in color or "feel" at all. I'll keep you posted!
    P.S. I am realllly lucky with my derm, she is so so kind and helpful and lets me try out all this weird s***. I wish everyone had a dermatologist like that.
    Last edited by eIegantsquatIobster; 31st January 2018 at 04:58 PM.