Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: has anyone tried oat groat?

I have a couple of theories. I use a 2:1 ratio for the mask but a 5:1 ratio overnight, which might not be quite powerful enough. Or if it is then perhaps the effect on the skin isn't quite the same if applied before bed and then the mites appear hours later due to the way in which the oats kill the mites. D. folliculorum can be seen during the day so this might explain the original die-off people experience with this method. I suspect that this doesn't account for all d. folliculorum, as others will only come out at night. Besides this, maybe the oat groats are effective and the bumps that have appeared could be a die-off that is associated with an effective topical, or even a malassezia die-off.

I'll give it another week or so before I completely give up. Skin is looking pretty good besides the few bumps. I think that is down to the oats effectiveness on malassezia though, which is why I really like the mask. Demodex is relatively easy to get under control with enough time and daily or near daily continued treatment, but it is the texture and tone of my skin that is harder to improve. This past week has been great in terms of that, and is why I'm very happy I have finally found something that can improve that.
    Last edited by Nick_1; 14th April 2019 at 11:24 AM.

I stopped using the mask and have been using oat groats overnight for the past week and my final conclusion is that at a 5:1 ratio it is useless for seb derm but mostly effective on demodex. My seb derm was looking terrible at the end of week and it's not something I can associate with malassezia die-off. A much higher concentration seems to be necessary for it to be effective on malassezia.

Thanks for sharing your observations. It's especially interesting that it supports my theory of it having an effect on demodex also, even though it's disappointing that a weak concentration is ineffectual for Malassezia. Did you find the masks effective for Malassezia, but not as much for it to be worth the hassle?

I found the masks to be helpful for malassesiza. I only stopped because I thought that overnight applications would be enough to treat both, even at a weaker concentration. Going forward I think it's back to ZZ cream and a couple of applications of the mask a week. How's the sulphur treatment going? You must be closing in on a couple of months by now.

Thanka for sharing
    I have an update.
    I mixed 50/50 oat groat and water and used it as a mask two or three times a day when I went on holliday in Portugal for a week, where it was sunny and warm. It is so obvious that my skin is reacting to the mask, but not as explosivr as before, especially in my perioral area. Also it should be noted that I dont experience this lifting of the skin. Anyway, I still had one stubborn spot (see here: https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...zia-or-demodex)
    I put the oat groat solution on for 15-30 minutes, and I would scrub the red spot (with hard skin) with the oat groats as I put it on and as I removed the mask. Every day the skin just kept peeling off, and after a week the red patch was gone. It should be noted that after each session I put on pure injectable ivermectin (ivomec, same strength as Soolantra it seems), because I didnt know if this was fungus or demodex. Anyway, success!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_1 View Post
    How's the sulphur treatment going? You must be closing in on a couple of months by now.
    Yes, still applying sulphur about 3 nights a week. There's been very gradual improvement with occasional setbacks, but the worst of it, by far, was in March. The second half of April was actually pretty good, but I've recently had another minor setback with a cyst on my jawline, and some small p&p's elsewhere. Whenever I get a bit exasperated, I try to remember how much of a wreck my skin was in March when the die-offs were happening in full swing, and then I realise that I've come a long way since then.