Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: has anyone tried oat groat?

The beard does indeed sound like a very stubborn area. The biofilm theory also makes sense, considering almost everyone seems to find something that initially works and then suddenly stops working. Cycling antifungals has long been a popular method. I assume that oat groat is an effective antifungal in its own right and does more than just break down chitin. Once the cell wall has been exposed the yeast would likely still need to be killed.

I found the following online: "Fractionation of cell wall polymers and carbohydrate analyses showed that the polysaccharide core of the cell wall of M. restricta contained an average of 5% chitin, 20% chitosan, 5% β-(1,3)-glucan, and 70% β-(1,6)-glucan. In contrast to other yeasts, chitin and chitosan are relatively abundant."

I'm considering attempting to speed up the process by applying the mask several times throughout the day for a few days for a full-on assault. For demodex, I've had a couple of very small pimples with pus now appear after the larger bumps. This is very different to the bumps without a head that I usually get.

The mask is great but I'm not convinced the filtrate is sufficient for overnight use. Last night I actually used the mask overnight and felt it was better with no crawling sensations experienced. It sinks into the skin nicely and any of the small bits can be brushed off the skin once it dries, so it's not actually messy. With just using the filtrate overnight, my skin was beginning to look like it does when I forego any topicals. Going forward I think it's best to either solely use the mask as an overnight treatment, or as a 15-20 minute application in addition to zz cream or some other sulphur ointment overnight. I will have to see which is optimal.

Please keep us updated. This chimes with my experience that applying the ground oat paste directly is much more effective than just the filtrate. The perk would be that no soaking time is required. I would think the downside is the messiness, but I guess you're applying it so thinly that it isn't a problem.

The past few days I've experienced something quite interesting with applying the mask twice a day for 15-20 minutes. I mixed to a 2:1 ratio (water:oat groat). The first application results in visibly dramatic lifting of the skin. The second application later in the day/evening results in just a little. After this application I'm always quite satisfied that my skin looks reasonably normal because the mask seems to suck the oil and some redness out of my skin. This has happened each day. It seems like overnight I'm back to square one again though, in terms of how much lifting of the skin can be seen. I don't think I'm feeding the malassezia to cause this.
    Last edited by Nick_1; 8th April 2019 at 07:45 PM.

Interesting indeed! It sounds like you've basically replicated what happened to me. Did a lot of skin peel off then?

Assuming the fungal biofilm theory holds true, there would presumably be many layers of it, which would explain why you feel like you're going back to square one by the next day. I believe Tom surmised this also -- that the longer you've had a fungal overgrowth, the more layers that would need to shed.

Of course, if someone can offer an alternative explanation for this skin shedding, I'd love to hear it, because the only alternative I can think of is that ground oat groats inexplicably melt your face off like an acid, which isn't very believable to me.

The skin doesn't peel off in the sense that I would be able to take some tweezers and do so. It's more like surface shedding where if I scratch my skin in the areas you see in the images the skin will shed off.

One image shows quite severe shedding. They can be slightly misleading in the sense that some of what you can see is the bits from the mask itself. It can be hard to differentiate in an image. Quite amazing how it can dissolve the fungal wall so quickly and gently.

1.jpg2.jpg

Very interesting! Maybe I need to try this mask. Iím still mixing a 5:1 ratio of water:oat. Do you still experience the pimples, Nick?

Edit: I have literally used a tweezer to remove more and more layers of skin shedding each day, supporting that layer theory.
    Last edited by rednessator; 8th April 2019 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    Very interesting! Maybe I need to try this mask. Iím still mixing a 5:1 ratio of water:oat. Do you still experience the pimples, Nick?

Edit: I have literally used a tweezer to remove more and more layers of skin shedding each day, supporting that layer theory.
    No pimples. I think the cause of those was using the filtrate as an overnight treatment, which is insufficient to control demodex.

I maintain that oat groats used as mask is great, but am not convinced it is a suitable overnight treatment for demodex. Perhaps it is down to the mechanism of how it works that doesn't lend itself well for use as an overnight treatment.

Hmm! Nick, why do you think we all have so different experiences with this method?
    Iíve continued using it on my scalp and it has not stopped my lesions and keratin buildup after all. So kind of a disappointment in that regard, but reaction on face was there for sure!