Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: has anyone tried oat groat?

Under normal circumstances Malassezia is able to hide itself from the body's immune system -- even the constant low-grade inflammation symptomatic of seborrheic dermatitis, i.e. the redness and flaking, is apparently an immune response to metabolites that Malassezia produces, such as oleic acid, rather than to the presence of the fungus itself. But, as Tom puts it, when a treatment dissolves the fungal cell walls, it exposes the fungus to the immune system and the body can finally recognise it as "not self", and as a result it responds with heightened inflammation.

When I first started treating for seborrheic dermatitis years ago, with climbazole and piroctone olamine, my whole face became beet red, and I looked like I had a permanent sunburn. This lasted for several weeks but eventually faded with continued treatment. Had I not read Tom's explanation for this inflammatory reaction, I likely would have freaked out and given up.

There isn't much that can be done to alleviate the inflammation. In my experience topical anti-inflammatories like aloe vera gel were of little to no benefit. And I wouldn't recommend steroids especially if you might have an underlying demodex issue, since demodex finds immunosuppression to be a perfect opportunity to proliferate unchecked. What helped me in the end was simply covering up the redness with Dermablend foundation cream, and letting the inflammation run its course.

Thanks, Sejon! Appreciate it! Thank God for you, Tom and your likes on this forum!

I actually bought the Dermablend foundation cream a while back when I saw you recommended it, so I used it mixed in with Tom's cream, but sometimes this redness just can't be concealed. Appreciate the tip, though

That's 5 overnight and 2 mask applications now. All looking good so far. No breakout, so hopefully that means it manages to keep demodex at bay, and skin also looks calmer. If that is all oat groat is able to achieve, I will be very happy. But if it also manages to treat any fungal issues, as it likely does according to several on here, I will be delighted. I've been looking for a product that can treat demodex and malassezia at the same time that also doesn't contain any ingredients that can feed malasseia for a while now. This really could be a one-stop wonder treatment while not having to subject your skin to any harsh or otherwise disagreeable ingredients, allowing the skin and its barrier to heal in the process too.

I've just bought a coffee grinder to try and grind the oats as finely as possible. Would there be any difference in grinding 1 tbsp of oats by itself, then adding to 6 tbsp of water, letting it hydrate for 30 minutes while stirring and then filtering compared to just adding water and the oats to the grinder together and then filtering after?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_1 View Post
    I've just bought a coffee grinder to try and grind the oats as finely as possible. Would there be any difference in grinding 1 tbsp of oats by itself, then adding to 6 tbsp of water, letting it hydrate for 30 minutes while stirring and then filtering compared to just adding water and the oats to the grinder together and then filtering after?
    Probably no difference, except that I think most coffee grinders are designed for dry grinding only, unlike blenders, so I'd be reluctant to put any liquids in my one for fear of damaging it. If yours can grind with water in it, then I see no problem with either method.

Whenever I return to this, I think the simplest approach will be to grind all the oat groats I have in one session, and store the powder in a large zip-loc bag for later use.

I didn't even think of that! Good thing I didn't use it yesterday, as the instructions say not to add water. The coffee grinder does a great job at grinding to powder quickly - much more efficient and finer that using a mortar and pestle. Well worth buying an inexpensive one for a little over a tenner. I didn't let the oats hydrate at all and was left with filtrate that was very watery and non-sticky, as expected, and non-filtrate that was very sticky and non-watery. It seems that there needs to be at least a bit of time to hydrate in either case if the oats and water can't be mixed together. The non-filtrate is probably useable and effective but not ideal.

I'm still not experiencing the difficulty with washing the mask off after 15-20 minutes though. It's definitely a bit messy, but using some face wash is sufficient to get it off. At worst, I'm left with a slightly dewy look to my skin.
    Last edited by Nick_1; 29th March 2019 at 06:44 PM.

It's important to let the oats soak in the water for a while. Tom mentioned 30 minutes but personally I think that should be considered the bare minimum. But a few hours should be more than enough.

Since having used the more finely ground oats I've actually experienced more of a reaction. The first night there was quite the increase in crawling as if I really bothered the mites. I woke up to a bump on one side of my face and another in more or less the same location on the other side. Today there's a couple of bumps near my mouth and facial hair is a bit itchy. I hope this is the last of them, given how oat groat is meant to be fast-acting. I'm also considering reducing the frequency of applying the mask because it could be a little harsh for daily use.

How is everyone else who is trying this getting on?

Alright, Nick, good news that it works

I must ask why you found it harsh? I only found it to make my skin flake off in my problem areas, but elsewhere not harsh at all.

Update: I stopped on Thursday, so Iíve had three days off, but I kept treating with Toms cream + ivermectin. Skin has been coming off like crazy. Every day. Today is first day Iím not super red, but still flaking somewhat. I have also used a sea salt face wash, which seem to have made me flake even more. Feels like my whole skin is changed...

When I wrote that it was harsh it was right after I applied the mask and washed my face. Afterwards my skin calmed down, so it's probably not too much of an issue. When on the skin it can feel a bit harsh as it dries.

I haven't experienced any crazy flaking. It's only really if it scratch my skin when the mask has been applied that I get any - notably in the beard area. I'd say that any of the flaking in the areas typically visible with seb derm have now largely been resolved. In regards to my entire face, especially the cheeks, I feel that there's a few thin layers of my skin to go until it would look completely normal, and I've managed to get rid/dissolve one or two already. It's kind of hard to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    Update: I stopped on Thursday, so Iíve had three days off, but I kept treating with Toms cream + ivermectin. Skin has been coming off like crazy. Every day. Today is first day Iím not super red, but still flaking somewhat. I have also used a sea salt face wash, which seem to have made me flake even more. Feels like my whole skin is changed...
    I used Tom's lotion on a nightly basis for a little over a year. It managed to clear my dermatitis in some areas within a month or two (like the sides of my nose), yet other areas, particularly in my beard, remained just as bad as ever, or even worsened, despite patiently treating for such an extended period of time. I remember I once shaved my beard and had large, bright red symmetrical rashes above the corners of mouth and the sides of my chin -- they were so vividly red I looked like I was wearing clown makeup -- and this happened a year into using Tom's lotion, at which point I finally conceded that it just wasn't working for me.

My theory is that Malassezia is incredibly adept at protecting itself within biofilms, to the point that it can become resistant to standard anti-fungals, even the much-lauded climbazole. This might explain why there was initially some shedding followed by clearance in a few areas during the first few weeks of treatment, but it eventually reached a plateau after which treatment was no longer effective at all.

Due to the more direct nature of how chitinase breaks down fungal cell walls, the biofilms might be defenceless against the assault, and all that shedding that you and I experience from the oat groats is actually these biofilms detaching from the skin, layer by layer.

The texture and appearance of the shedding, at least in my case, lends credence to the biofilm theory. I've had skin peel off in large swathes before, such as healing from bad sunburns (I grew up in the Caribbean and wasn't very fond of sunscreen as a kid so it happened to me occasionally), so I know what big flakes of skin look like when it comes off, but the shedding from the oat groats mask looked quite different: it was sticky and very "stringy", almost like I was removing a spider web that had been embedded within my face. It didn't look at all like regular dead skin.