Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seborrhoeic dermatitis - Products don't help

Quote Originally Posted by eiskaktus View Post
    Sadly the noreva cream made my skin burn a bit more than usual, so I stopped.
    Sometimes an inflammatory reaction like burning and redness is a sign that the treatment is exposing Malassezia to the immune system -- which is a good thing, because then the yeast population gradually starts to die off. The conundrum is that it can be difficult to distinguish between this kind of immune reaction and the reaction your skin has to something it simply can't tolerate.

For those based in Europe I've found out how you can get the Nutraseb cream. As I said it's manufactured in Spain, but it goes by a different name there: "Nutradeica".

If you do a Google search for "Nutradeica gel crema", it turns up several online stores based in Spain or Portugal that will ship to other countries in Europe. It might take a bit of browsing around but you can find some where the shipping costs are reasonable, so long as you order two or more tubes at once. One tube should last about 4-6 months.

It contains piroctone olamine as an antifungal, as well as the sebo-suppressant zinc PCA and the anti-inflammatory glycyrrhetinic acid (in the form of stearyl glycyrrhetinate). I'd say out of all the creams currently available to treat facial SD, this looks to be one of the better ones (especially as there aren't many to begin with). The others I'm aware of are:

Bioderma Sensibio DS: (+) contains climbazole and piroctone olamine (-) but also, rather stupidly, coconut oil as the second ingredient
    Ducray Kelual DS: (+) contains piroctone olamine although at a very low concentration (-) and glycolic acid which can make it somewhat irritating for some people
    Sebclair/Promiseb: (+) contains piroctone olamine at 1% concentration (-) but also shea butter, which Malassezia can metabolise like plant oils
    La Roche-Posay Kerium DS: (+) contains piroctone olamine although at a very low concentration, and the sebo-suppressant zinc PCA (-) but also palmitic acid which Malassezia can metabolise, as well as the highly comedogenic ingredient myristyl myristate
    Noreva Sebodiane DS micro-emulsion/serum: (+) contain lipid complexes and ceramides to aid in restoring the skin barrier (-) but no known anti-fungal agents

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    Sometimes an inflammatory reaction like burning and redness is a sign that the treatment is exposing Malassezia to the immune system -- which is a good thing, because then the yeast population gradually starts to die off. The conundrum is that it can be difficult to distinguish between this kind of immune reaction and the reaction your skin has to something it simply can't tolerate.
    This is what my face currently looks like. It's difficult to show the redness on a pic but it's the best I could do.

https://www.pic-upload.de/view-34459318/pic2.png.html

There’ also these European Products:

Germany:

Eucerin DermatoCLEAN Mild Cleansing Milk with Piroctone Olamine (as a preservative not as an active ingredient)

Eucerin uses piroctone Olamine as a preservative in several products.

Nivea uses piroctone Olamine as a preservative in several products.

France:
    Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns (cradle cap) with climbazole and salicylic acid

Uriage HYSÉAC has several facial products with piroctone olamine for seb derm and acne.

Greece:
    Oliprox Cream: climbazole and piroctone olamine

Italy:
    GinGira Zinc Pyrithione *100ml Spray by Borola

Biogena Flogen several products for Seb Derm with piroctone olamine, lactoferrin, glycero-phospho-inositol, and Aloe vera
    Last edited by MrRed77; 14th December 2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Left something out.

Good recommendations, MrRed!

I've also come across the Biogena Flogan Gel before, which interested me due to its use of topical lactoferrin in addition to the standard piroctone olamine, but it seems very difficult to obtain outside of Italy except for some of their pharmacies' online stores that charge outrageous amounts for shipping to the UK.

Sejon, I read in an old post you wrote that you had stinging sensations when you sweat. Did that ever stop? Did you figure out a way to make the stinging go away? Stinging when sweating is more common with other malassezia skin conditions like TV. I also experience that.

An update from me:

I started using a cream with Ketoconazol a few days ago. I sometimes use a shampoo from the same brand (also with Ketoconazol) and it always seemed to help a bit with the itching on my scalp.
    This cream however doesn't do anything on my forehead and area around the nose. I have a very slight burning sensation and the affected areas are still red.
    What makes me believe I have seb. dermatitis is that my scalp itches, as well as my ears and the area around the ears but my forehead doesn't respond to the treatments.
    Should I continue using the cream?

I simply don't know what to do anymore.

Default Cold compress for burning

When people go through topical steriod withdrawal they are instructed to use cold compress to relieve burning and itching. Just take a wash cloth and cold bottle water and apply that should work like a mild steriod. Seb Derm is bad but if you look at photos of topical steriod withdrawal you will happy you aren’t dealing with that.

What products are made in Germany for Seb Derm it seems like France, Spain, and Italy have over the counter products using climbazole and piroctone olamine. The only one I found from Germany uses icthammol which seems similar to coal tar or pine tar. Not even sure it works well without side effects.

I read that Commision E of the "Bundesinstitut für Arzneimittel und Medizinprodukte" recommends oat grass and Heartsease ( Viola tricolor) for seborrheic Dermatitis. If you could do research you may find treatments only known in Germany that you could share with others.