Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seborrhoeic dermatitis - Products don't help

Default Seborrhoeic dermatitis - Products don't help

Hey everyone.

Basically half a year ago I started using sunscreen a lot to protect myself from the sun which made my seborrheic excema come back.

Now my symptoms are the following: My scalp is itching, my eyebrows and ears are affected as well. What bothers me the most is the redness on my forehead (literally the whole forehead) and on the area close to the nose. It's burning all the time whether I put something on my face or not. I don't really have flakes on my forehead but the burning sensation bothers me.

I tried The Ordinary Zink&Niacinamide, Aloe Vera, avene cicalfate but nothing seems to help.
    Tomorrow I am going to buy noreva sebodiane ds mikroemulsion which is a solution for seb. excema but I don't know if it will help.

Can anyone please suggest a few products (if possible from Europe) to help with my redness and burning, also my lips are very dry.

Thank you so much

Hi eiskaktus, if you're confident that you have dermatitis induced by the Malassezia fungus then the Sebodiane DS micro-emulsion is worth a shot. It worked well for the seb derm on the sides of my nose. It didn't have any effect on the dermatitis in my beard, but since no anti-fungal agents have improved my beard dermatitis I suspect it might not be induced by Malassezia, so I suppose it's unfair to judge it based on that.

There's also the Sebodiane DS serum. One possible regimen you could have is to apply the micro-emulsion in the morning and the serum in the evening for a couple of weeks, and see if you notice any improvement.

I'm not entirely sure how the Sebodiane DS products work, but as I said I can at least attest to their micro-emulsion. If you want a product with a proven anti-fungal agent, you can try the Ducray Kelual DS cream or Nutraseb cream, both of which use piroctone olamine. An even cheaper option worth considering is a tube of 1% ciclopirox olamine cream, which I believe is sold under various names in Europe (e.g. in France it's sold as Mycoster cream).

You want to avoid products with plant oils because these have been proven to feed the fungus. The only acceptable oils are: capric/caprylic triglycerides, squalane, and mineral oil. Getting into the habit of reading ingredients lists thoroughly is critical with this condition. None of the products I've mentioned contains plant oils.

For shampoos, try to look for ones that contain anti-fungal agents like climbazole, piroctone olamine, or ciclopirox olamine. Examples include: Sebamed Anti-Dandruff, E45 Dry Scalp, Ollatum Anti-Dandruff, Ducray Kelual DS, and Bioderma Nodé P Apaisant.

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

And thanks for the amazing product suggestions, so if the sebodiane product doesn't work, I will still have the other products to try out. Do you know where to buy Nutraseb?

I actually used one of the oils you mentioned (Squalane by The Ordinary) but it felt weird on my skin and didn't help with the burning sensation and redness.

Would you suggest to just wash my face with water or with a cleanser before applying Sebodiane DS? On the one hand my skin feels kinda red/dry and I feel like cleansing would strip it of its natural oil barrier.

Do you know any sunscreen that doesn't feed the malassezia (possibly from Europe)?

Thanks so much

Unfortunately I don't know where you can order the Nutraseb cream, but it's a Spanish company that manufactures it. It also recently became available in the US but by prescription only, because products with piroctone olamine cannot be sold over-the-counter there, but they can in Europe. My guess is that the cream will start to become more widely available if it gains traction in the US, so at the very least it's something to look out for in the future.

A "safe" oil like squalane is good in the sense that it won't exacerbate the condition, but it's unlikely to actually help it.

Cleansing your face before application will help the product absorb better, however if you find that cleansing is drying out your skin you can look for gentle cleansers that don't contain sulfates (especially sodium lauryl sulfate, which is best to avoid).

For sunscreens, I use the Sebiaclear Cream SPF 50 which hasn't worsened my symptoms. I'm sure there are other safe sunscreens available in Europe -- just do some browsing and be sure to read the ingredients lists to avoid any that contain oils. I haven't compiled a list of alternatives because I've been fine with the one I use.

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post

For sunscreens, I use the Sebiaclear Cream SPF 50 which hasn't worsened my symptoms. I'm sure there are other safe sunscreens available in Europe -- just do some browsing and be sure to read the ingredients lists to avoid any that contain oils. I haven't compiled a list of alternatives because I've been fine with the one I use.
    Hi sejon, is this it? https://www.amazon.com/Svr-Sebiaclea...r+Cream+SPF+50

Yep, that's the one, although in Europe you can get it for half the price.

I chose it because it doesn't exacerbate my acne or SD, and it absorbs quite well, but doesn't contain alcohol.

In terms of texture and absorption, the best sunscreen by far in my experience is the Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence, made in Japan. The only problem is that it contains a high amount of alcohol, which I notice can make my skin feel dry and tight after a while, and very noticeably so now that it's winter. I still like to fall back on it if the weather is hot and humid, because it is more lightweight and matte than any other sunscreen I've tried while still providing a high amount of protection. It likewise does not worsen my acne or SD.

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    Yep, that's the one, although in Europe you can get it for half the price.

I chose it because it doesn't exacerbate my acne or SD, and it absorbs quite well, but doesn't contain alcohol.

In terms of texture and absorption, the best sunscreen by far in my experience is the Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence, made in Japan. The only problem is that it contains a high amount of alcohol, which I notice can make my skin feel dry and tight after a while, and very noticeably so now that it's winter. I still like to fall back on it if the weather is hot and humid, because it is more lightweight and matte than any other sunscreen I've tried while still providing a high amount of protection. It likewise does not worsen my acne or SD.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Where did you buy the Biore sunscreen? I am a bit hesitant to buy it on Amazon because I would prefer to buy it from the company itself.

If you want to buy from the company itself you'll probably need to go to Japan.

I bought it from Amazon and it was legit, in my experience.

Sadly the noreva cream made my skin burn a bit more than usual, so I stopped.