Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Light Therapy experience (LLLT) by BRACEYOURSELF

Post Red Light Therapy experience (LLLT) by BRACEYOURSELF

I'm posting this as a future reference for visitors to the Rosaceagroup forum so that they have a better idea of the efficacy of Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT) and more specifically Red Light Therapy (RLT). Remember, everyone reacts differently to treatments of their unique case of Rosacea and so this isn't a black and white situation. Instead people should see this as extra information to help them make a decision if they want to pursue using RLT or not. This post is also here so that I can perhaps get some feedback about my state and if you think that the RLT is working or not.

Background: 21y caucasian male. Acne for ~7 years and rosacea for over 2.5 years. Rosacea symptoms: constant red face, capillaries on nose, random burning around nostrils, temperature and wind sensitive skin+eyes, cysts on eyelids and enduring eye discharge. Using Soolantra.

RLT Device used: https://redlightman.com/product/red-light-device/ (also uses "amber" light)
    Wavelength peaks: 610nm, 630nm, 660nm, 680nm.

Regimen
    : 2 sessions a day, 6mins per area* per session. Equates to 18 minutes per session and 36mins a day.
    Session 1-30 ---> Distance (D)**=10cm (+/- 2cm)
    Session 31-56 ---> D= 12.5cm (+/- 2cm)
    *Left cheek, right cheek, and front.
    ** Space between bulb and skin.

My thoughts:
    I'm a month through the RLT (1000+ minutes) and so far I've not yet experienced anything truly remarkable. The skin on my cheeks feels slightly smoother maybe, but it's such a tiny difference that it might just as well be the placebo effect. Which is a bit of a let down at this point because I got the device mainly so that the red patch(es) would soften but it hasn't really done that. So I'm not sure if I should continue with the treatment or not. I've heard from other members on this forum that the results are much more promising at the 2 month mark, which makes me want to continue... On the other hand, the 30 day trial period ends this week and I could still get back most of what I paid, which is quite a bit.

I've added a few photos numbered 1-5, with 1 being before I started and 5 being the most recent. Each are a week apart. I thought using flash would work best to make the image sharper and make the lighting identical but for some reason certain photos came out in a different hue than others... Probably due to the colour of the clothes but I kept forgetting to put on the same shirt every time so it alternates. Finally, I should add that the acne kinda masks the redness due to rosacea and vice-versa so one day I might have had bad acne and it looks like rosacea even though that's not the case. Also, my face from the sides is much worse so I didn't take pics of that.

If I continue with the treatment then maybe I can update this thread every month, adding another set of pics (better lit) and with notes etc. I'm open to questions if you have any, of course.

20171127_124155.jpg 20171127_124629.jpg 20171127_124713.jpg 20171127_124531.jpg 20171127_125016.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BraceYourself View Post
    I'm posting this as a future reference for visitors to the Rosaceagroup forum so that they have a better idea of the efficacy of Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT) and more specifically Red Light Therapy (RLT). Remember, everyone reacts differently to treatments of their unique case of Rosacea and so this isn't a black and white situation. Instead people should see this as extra information to help them make a decision if they want to pursue using RLT or not. This post is also here so that I can perhaps get some feedback about my state and if you think that the RLT is working or not.

Background: 21y caucasian male. Acne for ~7 years and rosacea for over 2.5 years. Rosacea symptoms: constant red face, capillaries on nose, random burning around nostrils, temperature and wind sensitive skin+eyes, cysts on eyelids and enduring eye discharge. Using Soolantra.

RLT Device used: https://redlightman.com/product/red-light-device/ (also uses "amber" light)
    Wavelength peaks: 610nm, 630nm, 660nm, 680nm.

Regimen
    : 2 sessions a day, 6mins per area* per session. Equates to 18 minutes per session and 36mins a day.
    Session 1-30 ---> Distance (D)**=10cm (+/- 2cm)
    Session 31-56 ---> D= 12.5cm (+/- 2cm)
    *Left cheek, right cheek, and front.
    ** Space between bulb and skin.

My thoughts:
    I'm a month through the RLT (1000+ minutes) and so far I've not yet experienced anything truly remarkable. The skin on my cheeks feels slightly smoother maybe, but it's such a tiny difference that it might just as well be the placebo effect. Which is a bit of a let down at this point because I got the device mainly so that the red patch(es) would soften but it hasn't really done that. So I'm not sure if I should continue with the treatment or not. I've heard from other members on this forum that the results are much more promising at the 2 month mark, which makes me want to continue... On the other hand, the 30 day trial period ends this week and I could still get back most of what I paid, which is quite a bit.

I've added a few photos numbered 1-5, with 1 being before I started and 5 being the most recent. Each are a week apart. I thought using flash would work best to make the image sharper and make the lighting identical but for some reason certain photos came out in a different hue than others... Probably due to the colour of the clothes but I kept forgetting to put on the same shirt every time so it alternates. Finally, I should add that the acne kinda masks the redness due to rosacea and vice-versa so one day I might have had bad acne and it looks like rosacea even though that's not the case. Also, my face from the sides is much worse so I didn't take pics of that.

If I continue with the treatment then maybe I can update this thread every month, adding another set of pics (better lit) and with notes etc. I'm open to questions if you have any, of course.

20171127_124155.jpg 20171127_124629.jpg 20171127_124713.jpg 20171127_124531.jpg 20171127_125016.jpg
    I was just wondering have you been diagnosed with Seb derm? Your skin looks similar to mine in many ways and my first dermatologist said it was rosacea, however the second derm said I have more Seb derm/ facial psoriasis.

I don't think seb derm or psoriasis was ever talked about. My dermatologist only mentioned rosacea and acne. In fact I was surprised that he immediately called out the rosacea because they're usually conservative when diagnosing people and rosacea isn't commonplace.

I have telangiectasia (the tiny broken capillaries) so my symptoms strongly point to rosacea. Unless I have rosacea and serb derm, which is doubtful.

But have you had any luck treating what you think is seb derm and psoriasis?

No guts, no glory.

I'm going to keep using it.

Default Mini update

The redness is worse during the day and better at night compared to before. Can't say that it's a good or a bad thing. But at roughly 40 days in, the results are not what I had hoped for.

Default Update one

I'm still using the device from Redlightman. My regimen is the same (2 sessions a day, 6mins per area per session. Session 57-108 ---> D= 12.5cm (+/- 2cm) ) although I have been taking Vitamin D gel tabs and "legalon" for about 30 days. I might increase the space between me and the light since it's still too warm.

As of this post, I've completed 108 sessions amounting to a total of 3888 minutes. That's 64.8h or 2.7 days.

Photos: I've numbered the photos 6-9 with 6 being the next after 5 (see above photos) and 9 being the most recent, which was taken on 24 Dec 17. All photos are precisely one week apart.

My thoughts: To be honest, still not much improvement regarding the inflammation. The broken capillaries - or telangiectasia as they're called here - haven't faded at all, but Redlightman did state that it wouldn't help that issue. Just wanted to say I can confirm it. Back to the inflammation, I think it has lowered my baseline a bit at night and I seem to have fewer 'terrible' days as I used to get. The device definitely hasn't done anything for my teary eyes though. Must of been ages ago, but I remember reading here that a member had higher tolerance for that once using their red/amber light. So I still get watery eyes when outside during the winter. My face's skin still goes red/purple too. For 40 days I hadn't gotten any new nose pain so I thought it was helping until it returned. Been a week with it so far. At least the pressure subsides momentarily after using it at night.

I doubt many of you would care to know, but my acne hasn't been as explosive as in previous months. No idea if it is due to the light, the medication, or sheer dumb luck tbh. Acne scars still haven't faded, which is disappointing and is against what Redlightman promised it would aid. Especially after 2.7 days of therapy.

So all in all, I'm not so sure that the red/amber light is going to end up providing worthy results for both my acne and my rosacea. Still planning to continue up until March and I will periodically give updates. Bye for now.

20171227_160835.jpg 20171227_160946.jpg 20171227_161118.jpg 20171227_161221.jpg

Okay so I'm now adding 3.5cm distance between myself and the light. The reasoning being that the heat given off might be the factor that is preventing good results. At 16cm distance I'm of course compromising the intensity sadly. Hopefully it's just the right balance of the two.

N.B. 16cm has just 39% of the light intensity per unit sq as 10cm had.

Default Update two

Well I've finally had enough time to test this LLLT device. After 82 consecutive days and 162 sessions, which is 2916 minutes or 48.6 hours of use, I have a finding. The Redlightman device does not significantly help any issues.

It hasn't diminished my daily acne. It hasn't taken away the diffuse redness. It hasn't softened the scars. It hasn't helped with the broken capillaries. It hasn't eased the environmental flushing.

All it has done is made my skin softer.

So I cannot recommend the manufacturer, nor Low Level Light Therapy in general. This is my personal experience and I am aware that it has helped for certain lucky individuals. But if you have skin issues similar to mine (see all my photos) then don't try it out.

I'm going to my derm in a few weeks and I'm thinking of either Beta Blockers or laser. Need to research them first before making a decision.

I'm not sure if I'll update this thread in the future. Maybe just without new photos.

20180123_122120.jpg 20180123_122254.jpg 20180123_122456.jpg 20180123_122655.jpg

Photos: Same idea as before except the shirt is different in the last two. #10 was taken on the 3rd but the others were taken a week apart each night.

Quote Originally Posted by BraceYourself View Post
    Well I've finally had enough time to test this LLLT device. After 82 consecutive days and 162 sessions, which is 2916 minutes or 48.6 hours of use, I have a finding. The Redlightman device does not significantly help any issues.

It hasn't diminished my daily acne. It hasn't taken away the diffuse redness. It hasn't softened the scars. It hasn't helped with the broken capillaries. It hasn't eased the environmental flushing.

All it has done is made my skin softer.

So I cannot recommend the manufacturer, nor Low Level Light Therapy in general. This is my personal experience and I am aware that it has helped for certain lucky individuals. But if you have skin issues similar to mine (see all my photos) then don't try it out.

I'm going to my derm in a few weeks and I'm thinking of either Beta Blockers or laser. Need to research them first before making a decision.

I'm not sure if I'll update this thread in the future. Maybe just without new photos.

20180123_122120.jpg 20180123_122254.jpg 20180123_122456.jpg 20180123_122655.jpg

Photos: Same idea as before except the shirt is different in the last two. #10 was taken on the 3rd but the others were taken a week apart each night.
    Beta blockers have helped me, and so has laser. I have only had broken capilliaries treated with laser but it had the double effect of taking away 100% of diffuse redness on the areas that were treated. The result is perfect circles of normal skin tone. I just need more of the same laser treatment (PDL) in larger areas to put my skin back to what it was before I had the Mirvaso treatment.

It might not be the same for you though as you have not used or been affected by Mirvaso the way I was. Still worth trying I think.
    I'm recovering from Mirvaso-induced skin damage. Ask me about it if you are too.

• Read about my PDL and IPL, with videos.

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    Beta blockers have helped me, and so has laser. I have only had broken capilliaries treated with laser but it had the double effect of taking away 100% of diffuse redness on the areas that were treated. The result is perfect circles of normal skin tone. I just need more of the same laser treatment (PDL) in larger areas to put my skin back to what it was before I had the Mirvaso treatment.

It might not be the same for you though as you have not used or been affected by Mirvaso the way I was. Still worth trying I think.
    I've done some research about PDL and it looks relatively painful in the photos and from the experiences I've been reading. It also leaves temporary bruises where they treat you. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

So I was thinking about trying a less blunt laser like the Excel V or Vbeam (which has way less bruising) depending on the locations I can get the laser treatment from. But I'm happy to hear that PDL works for you. Must of taken a lot of guts to try it out. But I guess that's what it comes down to... The only way to tackle rosacea is by actually trying stuff out.