Thread: Treatments for eyes with demodex infestation?

Default Treatments for eyes with demodex infestation?

I know about cliradix but its too pricey.

Seen some recommendations for:

ocusoft but not sure what the active ingredient is - read the list nothing special popped out.

Sterilid

boric acid

Any thought on the above or other suggestions of products in UK?

Default Tea Tree Oil Wipes

Hi there,

I have been using tea tree oil wipes on my eyes for 2 days now. Tea tree oil is believed to kill these mites. I use them at night after I take my eye makeup off. Every day around noon I usually get itchy, dry, bloodshot eyes as well as what feels like graininess / grains of sand in my eyes. I was diagnosed with rosacea and I believe I also have ocular rosacea. The wipes were purchased at the Body Shop for about $14. They are fairly large so I cut them in half. Simply gently rub the entire eyelid area, eyelashes back and forth, and eyebrows.

I believe the tea tree oil wipes helped the morning after my first use. Last night after using the wipe, I additionally used a diluted pure tea tree oil in coconut oil. 3 parts coconut oil, 1 part tea tree. Rubbing gently over the lid, lashes and eyebrows. I hope to continue seeing success with this and will report back to this thread later with my continued use. PS: Please be careful and be sure research tea tree oil if you use it in the pure essential oil form like I did last night. You absolutely must dilute it in a carrier oil, otherwise it can be very harsh. Good luck
    Last edited by Pleatherpants; 11th January 2018 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleatherpants View Post
    Hi there,

I have been using tea tree oil wipes on my eyes for 2 days now. Tea tree oil is believed to kill these mites. I use them at night after I take my eye makeup off. Every day around noon I usually get itchy, dry, bloodshot eyes as well as what feels like graininess / grains of sand in my eyes. I was diagnosed with rosacea and I believe I also have ocular rosacea. The wipes were purchased at the Body Shop for about $14. They are fairly large so I cut them in half. Simply gently rub the entire eyelid area, eyelashes back and forth, and eyebrows.

I believe the tea tree oil wipes helped the morning after my first use. Last night after using the wipe, I additionally used a diluted pure tea tree oil in coconut oil. 3 parts coconut oil, 1 part tea tree. Rubbing gently over the lid, lashes and eyebrows. I hope to continue seeing success with this and will report back to this thread later with my continued use. PS: Please be careful and be sure research tea tree oil if you use it in the pure essential oil form like I did last night. You absolutely must dilute it in a carrier oil, otherwise it can be very harsh. Good luck
    Thanks. I'm still keen to find something to dilute tea oil with that isnt an oil. Bought a pack of ocusoft plus wipes last month - hard to tell if they're doing any good but will report back when i run out.

Default Tea tree oil wipes

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Thanks. I'm still keen to find something to dilute tea oil with that isnt an oil. Bought a pack of ocusoft plus wipes last month - hard to tell if they're doing any good but will report back when i run out.
    I'm still experiencing decent results with the tea tree oil wipes (they are already diluted for use on the face). However, it hasn't greatly improved the bloodshot look in the eyes. The major difference I've noticed is the "graininess" feeling is almost gone. Looking forward to your update.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleatherpants View Post
    I'm still experiencing decent results with the tea tree oil wipes (they are already diluted for use on the face). However, it hasn't greatly improved the bloodshot look in the eyes. The major difference I've noticed is the "graininess" feeling is almost gone. Looking forward to your update.
    Hi - just an update. Still using the tea tree oil wipes. Burning sensation continues to diminish to the point of non-existence. However, my eyes remain bloodshot. What's notable is now my eyelids are redder and puffier than they were before I started using the wipes. Perhaps the teatree wipes aren't helping at all, or could this be a sign the mites are dying off? Does anyone have any insight? Thank you kindly.

All essential oils, including Tea Tree Oil, are very corrosive to the eyes and will cause bloodshot eyes, even in tiny concentrations. The only workaround is to apply TTO, via Ocusoft or otherwise, with your eyes closed tightly. Wait for 1 to 20 minutes, with your eyes tightly closed, and then wash it off.

You will always experience bloodshot eyes when you add any essential oil above or around the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    All essential oils, including Tea Tree Oil, are very corrosive to the eyes and will cause bloodshot eyes, even in tiny concentrations. The only workaround is to apply TTO, via Ocusoft or otherwise, with your eyes closed tightly. Wait for 1 to 20 minutes, with your eyes tightly closed, and then wash it off.

You will always experience bloodshot eyes when you add any essential oil above or around the eyes.
    Hi! Thanks so much for the reply. The wipes I'm currently using are made by The Body Shop and are formulated for the face. However, you're probably right in that they are too harsh on the eyes. I wouldn't be disappointed to stop this treatment and pursue another option as I would really like to reduce the bloodshoot appearance. Do you have any alternative recommendations to the TTO to reduce or eliminate ocular symptoms? Cheers!

Default Hypochlorous Acid Spray is a non-irritating treatment for Demodeix Mites

If you are still having trouble you may want to ask your doctor about doing the oral treatment with oral Ivermectin and oral Metronidazole. It takes 2 weeks and so far for me it has worked. I was able to stop using the Cliradex wipes. I finished the treatment about 4 weeks ago after years of fighting demodex mites that caused ocular rosacea same as blepharitis demodex.

If your dermatologist did not test you for Demodex mites, you may want to ask them to do so. Demodex mites have been implicated in Rosacea subtype 2, occular rosacea, acne, blepharitis demodex, etc.

If your skin and/or eye problems are caused by demodex mites, there is an oral treatment that was quite effective for me. It was published in the International Journal of Infectious disease in 2013. Treatment takes 2 weeks. Oral Ivermectin and Oral Metronidazole. Insurance copay was just $13.03 (Uninsured retail about $52 USD. This treatment has been shown to cure the issue in the majority of people who have used it. Others see marked improvement. In the study 2 people who initially appeared to be in remission did relapse. A second round of treatment did put them in remission.

Paper can be found by Searching for "Evaluation of the efficacy of oral ivermectin in comparison with ivermectin–metronidazole combined therapy in the treatment of ocular and skin lesions of Demodex folliculorum"
    The paper is on ScienceDirect. If I put the link here the post will be rejected as possible spam.

Results of scientific study on 120 people with confirmed Demodex mites for 4 different skin conditions including rosacea, blepharitis demodex (occular rosacea):

Remision: 71.6% of people in the study with the oral Ivermectin+ oral Metronidazole treatement went into remission vs. 45% on just oral Ivermectin.
    Marked improvement: 26.7% (Oral Iver+ Oral Metro) vs. 33% (Oral Iver. only).
    No Improvement: 1.7% (Oral Iver+ Oral Metro) vs. 21.7% (Oral Iver. only)

Treatment (from paper) based on body weight for the oral Ivernectin:
    1. Two does of oral Ivermectin one week apart 200 micrograms Ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. Worked out to 12 mg for me. Take on an empty stomach with a large glass of water.
    2. Oral Metronidazole, 250 mg. three times a day for two weeks. NOTE: Do not drink alcohol during treatment and for 3 days after completion.

As always, it is best to discuss this treatment with your doctor. These are prescription drugs. My family doctor was most helpful.

I had demodicosis caused by demodex mites. Onset at age 11.5 after a severe bout of German Measles and possibly the flu. Immune system was at rock bottom allowing the mites to become infested in spite of good hygiene. It got worse with every bout of the flu after that. It started with large blackheads, advanced into pustules and body acne. This condition was likely very similar to Rosacea Subtype 2 caused by demodex mites but without the redness most people have.

After being misdiagnosed with “allergic conjuctivitis” and acne vulgaris (bacterial origin) for 51 years, it advanced into blepharitis demodex (ocular rosacea) – painfully gritty, dry eyes with eyelashes falling out, etc. Over the years, 4 board certified dermatologists prescribed about 8 different antibiotics, retin A, micro-retin A, benzoyl peroxide, etc. None of the expensive treatment worked. They never checked for demodex mites.

Demodicosis can be confused for “Hormonal acne” due to the fact that the mites live 2-3 weeks and may indeed be tuned in to the hormonal cycles of the body. The mites eat oil. When your hormones are causing more oil to be generated, there is more for the mites to eat. Any drug that levels out or reduces the oil in your skin can temporarily control the mites by controlling their food source.

In other studies, the topical version of Metronidazol has not been found to be effective but the oral version is. Oral metronidazol is believed to work indirectly by changing something the mites are consuming or changing the environment so that they die.

I'm now at 5 weeks post treatment. Skin and eyes are clear. No additional treatment or drugs needed.

My eyes are clear, no longer red, no longer losing multiple eye lashes near daily, no longer painfully dry. They are now working to make the oily tear film. I've been able to stop using Cliradex wipes. Skin is clear, too. Still washing eyes with 1% Tea Tree oil face wash (Tranquil Eyes by Eye Eco) nightly as a precaution to fight off future mite re-infestation and spraying with Heyedrate's Eye and Lid Cleaner (hypochlorous acid), but that is all.

The Occusoft Spray and the similar spray from Heyedrate Lid and Lash Cleanser are over the counter versions of the expensive prescription spray by Avenova. Hypochlorous acid is a substance the human body makes in reaction to scrapes and wounds on the skin. It is non-irritating. I used both Heyedrate (0.015% and Occusoft (0.02%). Both worked but I like the Heyedrate best. The spray helps in addition to the Cliradex wipes for an active infestation. I'm using the Heyedrate spray now for maintenance after washing my face and eyes with the 1% Tea Tree Oil version of Tranquil Eyes eyelid and facial cleanser by eye eco.
    Last edited by ElaineA; 14th March 2018 at 02:58 PM.