Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who wear sunscreen/makeup: How do you get it off without irritation?

Default For those of you who wear sunscreen/makeup: How do you get it off without irritation?

Hi all,

I am having the hardest time finding a way to wash off the occasional sunscreen and makeup without irritating my skin. (I say occasional as I still haven't found a sunscreen that I can wear daily without problems, unfortunately.) In the past, when my skin was a little calmer, I have just worn a full face of makeup and gone ahead and used mild foaming cleansers. These don't necessarily immediately upset my skin, but did leave it feeling kind of stripped, dry and tight after washing, which I know is far from ideal. But my gentle lotion type cleanser can't get the job done, and the more I rub and wipe, the more upset my skin becomes.

I have read about oil cleansing, which sounds interesting and is supposed to do a great job at removing everything, but I am very hesitant to slather an oil all over my face and not sure which of them would be well tolerated by rosacea skin. I also know about pre-made cleansing balms (like Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm) and am considering looking into something like that.

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Hi all,

I am having the hardest time finding a way to wash off the occasional sunscreen and makeup without irritating my skin. (I say occasional as I still haven't found a sunscreen that I can wear daily without problems, unfortunately.) In the past, when my skin was a little calmer, I have just worn a full face of makeup and gone ahead and used mild foaming cleansers. These don't necessarily immediately upset my skin, but did leave it feeling kind of stripped, dry and tight after washing, which I know is far from ideal. But my gentle lotion type cleanser can't get the job done, and the more I rub and wipe, the more upset my skin becomes.

I have read about oil cleansing, which sounds interesting and is supposed to do a great job at removing everything, but I am very hesitant to slather an oil all over my face and not sure which of them would be well tolerated by rosacea skin. I also know about pre-made cleansing balms (like Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm) and am considering looking into something like that.

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks as always!
    Try Vanicream bar soap. You can find it at Walgreens for 4.99. I buy from amazon, much cheaper. I use it everyday along with the Vanicream moisturizer. Read ingredients and see if if will work for you.

Try using jojoba oil! I first wash my face with jojoba oil to get the foundation off my face and after that with cleansing milk or eventually foam if your skin can handle it. Unfortunately i have the same problem as u with foam (dry skin etc) so i use a milk.

(And i also have rosacea)

I tried using other oils but i think jojoba is the best.

I use the clinique cleansing balm to get off my tinted moisturizer/sunscreen or whatever it is. I follow it up with a (non-specific) creamy/milky cleanser for sensitive skin. If I don't use something like the balm first, I find I can never get all of my tinted moisturizer off

I don't know if this routine daily would strip skin too much, but it works for me when I use my tinted moisturizer/sunscreen a couple times / week.

I've tried MCT oil instead, but prefer the balm.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions everyone!

I've used Vanicream moisturizers in the past and loved them, will definitely be checking out the bar soap as that seems like a fairly safe bet for sensitive skin. Plus, just one cleansing step also sounds good.

I've been looking up different oils and their benefits and would like to try them, but worried that using one as a cleanser prior to the application of a topical rx might be problematic, as they seem (and are reported) to form a barrier on the skin. Not sure on this since I've never personally tried, but it's of concern.

I ended up trying a sample of Clinique's Take the Day off Balm since I last posted. It was quite nice and gentle and worked well at removing all the makeup and sunscreen. I was able to use it without irritation, for that night at least, which was great of course. However, I did find that I had to follow it with my lotion cleanser and that my skin felt a touch dry-ish after having to double cleanse. But it was much less dry than if I had used a foaming cleanser! Agree with laser_cat that this might be too stripping for an everyday routine, but for occasional use it was perfect.

Guess it will always be a bit of a compromise with rosacea and skincare. Will definitely update if I find something that works beautifully!

Try Bioderma H20 Sensibo Micellar Water. I will never change. I use it for my face and eyes.

You're welcome. Good luck.

Thank you for the suggestion Faith1989!

That looks really promising, I just checked it out. Do you use it instead of a face wash, or more as a make up remover and follow it with a face wash? I am not familiar at all with micellar water or how to use it. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions everyone!

I've used Vanicream moisturizers in the past and loved them, will definitely be checking out the bar soap as that seems like a fairly safe bet for sensitive skin. Plus, just one cleansing step also sounds good.

I've been looking up different oils and their benefits and would like to try them, but worried that using one as a cleanser prior to the application of a topical rx might be problematic, as they seem (and are reported) to form a barrier on the skin. Not sure on this since I've never personally tried, but it's of concern.

I ended up trying a sample of Clinique's Take the Day off Balm since I last posted. It was quite nice and gentle and worked well at removing all the makeup and sunscreen. I was able to use it without irritation, for that night at least, which was great of course. However, I did find that I had to follow it with my lotion cleanser and that my skin felt a touch dry-ish after having to double cleanse. But it was much less dry than if I had used a foaming cleanser! Agree with laser_cat that this might be too stripping for an everyday routine, but for occasional use it was perfect.

Guess it will always be a bit of a compromise with rosacea and skincare. Will definitely update if I find something that works beautifully!
    I use Clinique take the day off balm ! I love it ! I do follow with my cream cleanser and rinse with warm water on a wash cloth . The wash cloth helps get rid of all traces of makeup and gently exfoliates my skin . I follow with spritzing my face with distilled water and green tea moisturizer . My skin looks healthy and fresh now a days . I should clarify , I use baby wash clothes not regular ones . I find them to be easier to use and gentler on the delicate facial skin . Next time you use the balm . Maybe try a little less . I found a small amount goes a long way Good luck !

Momof3boys, I used much less last night since I only had a tiny bit left of the sample and less is more with this stuff, you are right! My skin felt just fine afterwards. Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by Crimson; 15th November 2017 at 08:17 PM.