Thread: Tretinoin 2017 study resolved some with Rosacea

Default Tretinoin 2017 study resolved some with Rosacea

http://www.mdedge.com/edermatologyne...mptoms-rosacea

"25 patients with mild to severe rosacea were treated with topical tretinoin 0.05% as monotherapy.
    Of the patients with erythema as the primary feature of their rosacea, 42% achieved complete resolution, 33% achieved excellent resolution, 17% achieved a good response, and 8% showed no benefit, Dr. Forward reported.
    Among patients with telangiectasia, 40% achieved complete resolution, while 37% of those with flushing achieved complete resolution."

From reading on the forum it seems Tretinoin is a no no, especially for type 1 and flushers. This study from 2017 surprises me and it actually resulted in complete resolution for a number of Rosacea sufferers. Anyone here had success using 0.05%. with type 1.
    It does finished with clause that "You should use a pea-sized amount, at night, and in the beginning we advise them to use it every second or third day, and if they tolerate it they can increase the amount".
    Last edited by redtere; 10th November 2017 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post

"25 patients with mild to severe rosacea were treated with topical tretinoin 0.05% as monotherapy.
    Of the patients with erythema as the primary feature of their rosacea, 42% achieved complete resolution, 33% achieved excellent resolution, 17% achieved a good response, and 8% showed no benefit, Dr. Forward reported.
    Among patients with telangiectasia, 40% achieved complete resolution, while 37% of those with flushing achieved complete resolution."

From reading on the forum it seems Tretinoin is a no no, especially for type 1 and flushers. This study from 2017 surprises me and it actually resulted in complete resolution for a number of Rosacea sufferers. Anyone here had success using 0.05%. with type 1.
    It does finished with clause that "You should use a pea-sized amount, at night, and in the beginning we advise them to use it every second or third day, and if they tolerate it they can increase the amount".
    https://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/51380 says retinaldehyde (supposedly less harsh than other vitamin A forms) can be helpful for vascular rosacea. I think retinaldehyde is found in Avene and Osmosis products. I can't read the full text without paying so how valid this article is, I'm not sure. Supposedly retinaldehyde thickens the skin and reduces VEGF (which otherwise causes angiogenesis and inflammation)

I tried Avene 0.05% retinaldehyde product, and my forehead, nose, chin tolerated it fine. However my upper cheeks stung and I gave up after using it 2 weeks every other day. I was surprised actually, since generally my skin itself is not that sensitive to topicals (I have more problems with flushing / burning).

"complete resolution" of erythema/flushing sounds sketchy to me though honestly but haven't read your full article either

I am very skeptical about these findings.
    My case is complex and there are a number of things which caused me to get worse, including long term broad spectrum antibiotics, nutritional deficiencies to name a couple. But the topical which pushed me into severe flushing was topical vitamin A. A dermatologist convinced me all his patients benefited from it and all I had to do was persevere and my redness would fade away as would most telangiectasia. This was not the case, obviously and I could have kicked myself for believing him especially as I had previous experience with Retin A for melasma many years ago. In fact, it was the use of this which started me on the path to rosacea. Fool I was, twice.

In addition, my old IPL doctor also had type one rosacea with mild to moderate flushing. He had been using Retin A for many years and it did not cure him. In fact, he felt it was an on going source of irritation, but he was so concerned with the ravages of aging, that he decided to continue with the Retin A and keep the redness at bay with IPL treatments.

When one derm comes forth with a small study, I am wary. It immediately brings forth memories of the derm who touted topical brimonidine was brilliant and safe and that none of his patients ever experienced any side effects from it.
    We all know how truthful that statement was!
    Previous Numerous IPL.
    Supplements: High dose Niacinamide, Vit K2, low dose Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Mod- dose B's. Low dose zinc. Testing Quercetin.

Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
    Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
    Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
    Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

I have been prescribed Treclin gel in the past (clindamycin and tretinoin) which is apparently better tolerated by people with rosacea compared to tretinoin only gel. However, I was cautious to try it due to potential skin irritation and haven't done so yet.

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    I have been prescribed Treclin gel in the past (clindamycin and tretinoin) which is apparently better tolerated by people with rosacea compared to tretinoin only gel. However, I was cautious to try it due to potential skin irritation and haven't done so yet.
    @antwantsclear : I'd be very interested to know how you get on if you try it (I'm not suggesting you should try it, to be clear!)

I agree with Mistica about the abysmal sample sizes typically used pretty shameful and suggests the "findings" probably cannot be replicated. Eg, I remember reading studies "showing" H pylori to be a causative factor in rosacea, but more recent studies suggest otherwise

https://www.rosacea.org/weblog/study...ylori-bacteria

Unfortunate that we as patients are sort of left grasping at straws and taking big risks with suggested treatments. It really riles me up like no other (hence my post here!). On a tangential note, I used to work in data science and sometimes I would be given a data set with an understood pressure to "make it look interesting".... If it seems like a finding probably depended on the sample size/data set, then it probably does

BTW I have a non-rosacea friend who say she can't even tolerate retin a ... Also it will really increase your sensitivity to sun so be careful

I was prescribed tretinoin .05% cream almost 1 year ago, specifically for rosacea. I went to a dermatologist with symptoms of red cheeks and small pustules. I had never experienced this before and this was my first visit to this dermatologist. He is "old-school" and his first recommendation was for tretinoin for suspected rosacea. I jumped right in and used it every night from the start. For about 1 month my face was bright red, peeling, and felt sensitive and tight. I also had increased pustules. After that, my skin became better and better. It did such great things for my skin. I do want to say though, I eventually asked my dermatologist for Soolantra because I suspected my issues may be demodex related. The tretinoin improved my issue by about 50%. The Soolantra helped get me over the finish line. I know rosacea can be complicated, but I believe my skin had redness because of a sensitivity to irritants(demodex) and inflammation, so I believe that tretinoin can be very useful to some patients. The cure is of course specific to the cause, which is why it would help some and worsen others.

I've been reading more medical journals about tretinoin and the results are really surprising me. This study in particular:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22395584

Using topical clindamycin 1.2% and tretinoin 0.025% the study was to assess it's effect on Papulopustular Rosacea.
    The results showed the topical made no significant difference on the Papulopustular component.
    However what they found was an improvement in telangiectasia and erythematotelangiectatic rosacea, something thing were not even planning or testing for.
    Last edited by redtere; 16th November 2017 at 12:56 AM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by antwantsclear View Post
    Did you end up using the Treclin gel then, @antwantsclear?

I've just been prescribed* Treclin so I'd be curious to know what effect it had, if any.

*It's more for my severe acne than rosacea though

I tried tretinoin about 6 months ago just doing a bit of self experimentation. My theory was, my Rosacea was made worse by the fact my skin was quite thin thus making the redness more prominent & using tretinoin would thicken my skin and reduce the redness.

I used it every other day for about 3 months. It didn't benefit me at all with the redness it definitely irritated my skin and peeled a bit. It actually gave me a patch of white on one of my cheeks where I applied it which I suspect is vitiligo(seems like the pigment is gone). I researched afterwards that tretinoin is frequently for skin whitening and de-pigmentation. Which I'm a bit pissed off at myself for not researching it more thoroughly before I decided to order it. So yeah I wouldn't advise anyone try it without a doctor's prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post

Tretinoin is a retinoid and usually used to treat acne, but some dermatologists are recommending retinoids for rosacea, particularly low dose retinoids taken orally, but also topical retinoids, i.e., Differin. Some report improvement and others complain it irritates the skin worse when used topically. For more information.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 2nd September 2020 at 02:31 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi