Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Warm room flush theory revisited

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    311

    Default Warm room flush theory revisited

    In light of the last 10 years research since the warm flush theory became public, are there any new, recent opinion on this?

    I just read this thread (https://rosacea-support.org/communit...opic.php?t=431) at rosacea-support.org and it is very interesting. Funny that the author of the theory bashes demodex research, to some extent at least, and from the last post at the last page some guy is saying that the "Australian Sciences" website seems defunctional.

    I'm just wondering if there are people that has "lived by" this theory and been helped, since author claims it could reverse symptoms.

  2. #2
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    523
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    In light of the last 10 years research since the warm flush theory became public, are there any new, recent opinion on this?

    I just read this thread (https://rosacea-support.org/communit...opic.php?t=431) at rosacea-support.org and it is very interesting. Funny that the author of the theory bashes demodex research, to some extent at least, and from the last post at the last page some guy is saying that the "Australian Sciences" website seems defunctional.

    I'm just wondering if there are people that has "lived by" this theory and been helped, since author claims it could reverse symptoms.
    Hi there

    I'm not sure how valid the technical description is, but I agree with the overall idea. Especially in the context that some flushing ppl say they are much better in the summer (perhaps they are overall warmer) than winter.

    My derm who is very thoughtful / out of the box, suggested I try low dose viagra 2-3x / day. The idea being to keep blood vessels from being overly constricted during the day, in order to lessen my evening flush (if I understand him right). My inner arms for example, tend to flush when my temperature bumps up, but when they are not flushing, they have this "mottled", veiny look to them (livedo reticularis). He did warn me that if I were to try the viagra, I would most likely flush initially (I think he's right about that).

    (Low dose viagra is used in raynauds... which I definitely have.)

    I have too many things on my plate right now so likely there will be some time if/when I try it.

    best wishes,

    Lizzy

    PS - There's a "steal phenomenon" idea where, when a vasodilator is given to treat an obstructive peripheral vascular disease, what happens is that the systemic vasodilation steals blood away from the area needing more blood ("don't really know unless you try it" kinda thing). I think a "warm room" approach to rosacea could work similarly (at least in part).

    I find using a face mask type of thing in winter outdoors is helpful, like a second layer of skin
    Last edited by laser_cat; 6th November 2017 at 11:25 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    366
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    In light of the last 10 years research since the warm flush theory became public, are there any new, recent opinion on this?

    I just read this thread (https://rosacea-support.org/communit...opic.php?t=431) at rosacea-support.org and it is very interesting. Funny that the author of the theory bashes demodex research, to some extent at least, and from the last post at the last page some guy is saying that the "Australian Sciences" website seems defunctional.

    I'm just wondering if there are people that has "lived by" this theory and been helped, since author claims it could reverse symptoms.

    I definitely have more of a challenging time in the winter...especially going from cold temperatures outside to warm indoor heating (fireplaces are the worst!). Although I can flush in the summer with temperatures >90 F, my flushes tend to be more severe in the winter. An example is last weekend I went to Bryce National Park...it was very cold outside after the sun went down. I was hiking all day, so I decided to take a hot shower....BAD idea. I can normally tolerate hot showers if it hasn't been cold all day, but this sent my skin into a tailspin and my face was burning up like a furnace that entire night. Lesson learned/reinforced, I guess.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    15

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    I definitely have more of a challenging time in the winter...especially going from cold temperatures outside to warm indoor heating (fireplaces are the worst!). Although I can flush in the summer with temperatures >90 F, my flushes tend to be more severe in the winter. An example is last weekend I went to Bryce National Park...it was very cold outside after the sun went down. I was hiking all day, so I decided to take a hot shower....BAD idea. I can normally tolerate hot showers if it hasn't been cold all day, but this sent my skin into a tailspin and my face was burning up like a furnace that entire night. Lesson learned/reinforced, I guess.
    MissM,

    Just wanted to let you know that I am exactly the same as you re showers!

    My burning is bad most of the time and all year round, but I can say with certainty that I have a different type of burning in summer than in winter.
    Winter is horrendous for me, especially indoors. it is a much more intense pain and It is worse after a shower even if its barely warm water.
    Summer I can manage to enjoy warmer showers more as the warmth and burning will subside after an hr or so on good days. Hard to explain but the burning pain is different. Not good still obviously but easier to handle than winter time rosacea.

    For me the humidity makes everything worse. Humid cold weather, damp & wet environments or humid hot weather all makes my rosacea severe and unmanageable.
    Dry heat is the best conditions for me as my rosacea was not gone but much more manageable in my own environment when I lived there.
    Low Humidity Winter was too okay until I went to public places with heating. My face went more bright red in appearance but the burn was not there, just warm.

    Nice to read others experiencing similar characteristic with their rosacea

  5. #5
    Senior Member Carly1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    126
    Country: United States

    Default

    Re: Warm room flush theory. I've read a little bit about it and I think I understand the concept, but how arduous is the path to improvement? I practically live in front of a small fan during the winter months because my cheeks flush so easily. If I ease up on using it, do I just have to push through the heat/flushes until they lesson?

    I went to the theatre over the weekend and after about an hour, I could feel my cheeks start to burn (my friends actually thought the auditorium was too cold). Of course this made me feel embarrassed, so the flushing was made worse. *ugh* I have the acne more or less under control now, but I can't seem to shake the flushing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    311

    Default

    I talked to Mistica about this theory, and she was quite sceptical about some of the aspects of this theory, but better if she explained it herself. But basically her point is that the whole premise of this theory is that only heat causes flushes, but as we know, people have many triggers, thus keeping environment warm all the time might actually lay the bed for the other triggers. I hope I paraphrased somewhat accuractely

  7. #7
    Senior Member nat007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carly1981 View Post
    Re: Warm room flush theory. I've read a little bit about it and I think I understand the concept, but how arduous is the path to improvement? I practically live in front of a small fan during the winter months because my cheeks flush so easily. If I ease up on using it, do I just have to push through the heat/flushes until they lesson?

    I went to the theatre over the weekend and after about an hour, I could feel my cheeks start to burn (my friends actually thought the auditorium was too cold). Of course this made me feel embarrassed, so the flushing was made worse. *ugh* I have the acne more or less under control now, but I can't seem to shake the flushing.
    Same here :/

    I tend to hate summers because I can't be in the sun, but my skin is always more pale in the warmer months than in the horrid winters and I flush less too. Still need a small fan on and off but winters are truly horrid. I agree that the extreme temperature differences are playing havoc on our weak walled blood vessels which do not handle the temperature changes well. One steady indoor and outdoor temperature is so much more gentle for my skin and flushes.
    Best would be an all round 18 degrees Celcius temperature all day every day of the year...

    I can handle the temperatures this author suggests in summer, but in winter there is no way I can sit in a warm room, not even with a fan on...
    Uses: 22,5 mg mirtazapine, clonidine and propranolol, Xyzal at times.
    Diet: trying low sugar, no gluten and dairy, high protein diet.
    Link to my rosacea blog:http://scarletnat.blogspot.com

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    95
    Country: Luxembourg

    Default

    I've been to the tropics and the weather there was at a constant 20 C with not much humidity. My skin must've been around a constant temperature and it was fantastic. Then again there are many different factors that would've changed, since I was on vacation, so my diet, sun exposure, stress and sleep pattern were not the same as usual. So it might not just be the temperature, but an array of things.

    Back to the title of the thread; walking into a warm room from the cold is probably my biggest nightmare honestly, because I can't control ANYTHING at that point. Then once I go red I feel embarrassed, which causes a deep blush and that makes it even more awful.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Flashing is more caused from change of your inner temp then from change of outside/inside.

    Your body big temperature change is what causing the issue, i wont go into more details since is a long long subject. if your blood circulation is good your flashing will be much less severer.

    To achieve this, cardio training and vegan diet. The doctor idea is spot on, but its not healthy at all. Another factor is dry skin in your lower layers of facial skin!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    109
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    Flashing is more caused from change of your inner temp then from change of outside/inside.

    Your body big temperature change is what causing the issue, i wont go into more details since is a long long subject. if your blood circulation is good your flashing will be much less severer.

    To achieve this, cardio training and vegan diet. The doctor idea is spot on, but its not healthy at all. Another factor is dry skin in your lower layers of facial skin!
    Flushing, I guess, is very complex. In my case it is/was a combination of a damaged lipid barrier (sun damage, seb derm etc), hormonal fluctuations (my period, estrogen), body temperature over the day and menstrual cycle, reynods syndrome (overactice vessels), bad physical shape in general (diet and blood circulation), depression and passivity. I still see a logic in the warm room theory but there is def more to it.. And def things we can effect even if we dont think so.

    I have managed to almost irradicate my flushing through an improved diet, skin barrier and avoidance of freezing or spending to much time in cold and dry environments, working out more (getting better blood ciculation). Its winter here now and I barely have any flushing atm. I occasionally have some issues with what I belive is caused by my low blood pressure, but really, I am so so much better then I was a year ago.

    My rosacea also almost completely vanishes when I go to warm, humid places..

    I remeber the doctor use to tell me that stress was a big factor in rosacea and I didnt understand it back then because I never flushed from stress. But the fact that long term stress and depression actually constricts your blood vessels all over your body, making your whole system tense and cold makes us more prone to flushing as well..

    to be continued..

    //V

Similar Threads

  1. Experimenting with '' warm room flush theory'' and flushing has gone.
    By whiteshadows in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd July 2017, 07:42 PM
  2. Desparate- How to implement "warm room flush theory"
    By jlb2010 in forum Diet, lifestyle and relationships
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st July 2015, 07:12 AM
  3. Warm room fluSh pdf - anyone tried it?
    By Electro20 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14th April 2015, 06:34 AM
  4. Opinion of the warm room flush article?
    By MrBenn in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26th May 2011, 06:34 PM
  5. Theory of the WARM room flush
    By Jason1984 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd December 2008, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •