Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Demodex?

Default Demodex?

Hi,

I have been suffering from rosacea for a number of years now. Main symptoms are blushing/flushing and paps and postules. The p n p's bothered me the most and mostly affected around the mouth area and the nose. I am now treating these p n p's with organic diet and ZZ cream. The theory is that the demodex mite is the culprit.

My skin has improved greatly but now my eyes are getting worse. They are dry red and irritated along the rim of the eyelid where the eyelashes are. They now water or tear up very easily. They are tearing as I type now and they just look shocking, like ive been out all night taking drugs.

Could it be that now that Im killing the mite on my facial area they are now taking refuge in my eyelashes?

Does anyone have any idea how to treat a potential mite infestation in your eyelids?

There is a report published in the British Journal of Opthalmology, In vitro and in vivo killing of ocular Demodex by tea tree oil, by the Ocular Surface Center of Miami Florida, may be of help. If you decide to use Tea Tree Oil just remember that full strength is harsh on the skin and it needs to be diluted. One of the authors, Scheffer C. G. Tseng, M.D., Ph.D., serves on the RRDi MAC. If you could visit the Ocular Surface Center that would be even better. You have to be very careful using any medication near the eyes or eyebrows.

Warm compresses of Johnson Baby Shampoo with cotton pads soaked in warm water over the eyes and eyebrows have been reported by some to be helpful. For more info on Subtype 4 click here. More info on Demodex and Rosacea.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by mick1234 View Post
    Hi,

I have been suffering from rosacea for a number of years now. Main symptoms are blushing/flushing and paps and postules. The p n p's bothered me the most and mostly affected around the mouth area and the nose. I am now treating these p n p's with organic diet and ZZ cream. The theory is that the demodex mite is the culprit.

My skin has improved greatly but now my eyes are getting worse. They are dry red and irritated along the rim of the eyelid where the eyelashes are. They now water or tear up very easily. They are tearing as I type now and they just look shocking, like ive been out all night taking drugs.

Could it be that now that Im killing the mite on my facial area they are now taking refuge in my eyelashes?

Does anyone have any idea how to treat a potential mite infestation in your eyelids?
    Hi mick, I'm so sorry you are now dealing with this new issue.

Read through this link. It has a lot of helpful tips.
    http://dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/mgd.html

I actually do not recommend using baby shampoo with the warm compresses as studies show it can actually further aggravate your ocular symptoms. But Brady is correct in that it used to be the standard recommendation years ago. Now I recommend the use of commercially prepared lid scrubs (Novartis makes one as well as Theratears I believe) or simply using warm compresses to liquefy any secretions at the lash/lid margin. Using it all very gently of course.

If your eyes are tearing it could be due to the fact they are dry. There are different types of dry eye but you can start simply with using preservative free rewetting drops liberally throughout the day and see if that alleviates your tearing symptoms. Restasis is an Rx drop that reduces chronic inflammation that may be another cause of dry eye and tearing. But I think starting with preserv free drops first is best and taking it from there. Here is some info re dry eye.
    http://dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/dryeyesyndrome.html

There are also dietary recommendations such as getting more omega 3's in your diet preferably through food but if you cannot through supplementation being careful to find supplements without preservatives that may aggravate certain symptoms.

If you still need relief after these steps certain meds may be helpful and your best bet would be an eye doctor who is knowledgeable about Ocular Rosacea.

Good luck!

Best,
    Melissa

Thank you to you both Melissa and Brady, most helpful.

I will look into the tea tree oil as a potential solution although I may use it as plan b or c if there is any undue risk when using it. I will also investigate those lid scrubs and begin warm compresses. That will be my plan A for now. I will also look into those links you highlighted. My research starts here

It's unfortunate from reading other posts that there doesn't seem to be a cure for this eye problem similar to the PnP's. No one can seem to get to the heart of the matter but rather follow a continuous process of ameliorating symptoms. I suppose it's something Ill just learn to get used to.

Thank you again for the info, very much appreciated!

Mike

You are very welcome Mike. I just want to add some encouragement about Ocular Rosacea and its symptoms. It's true that it may take time to get your symptoms under control but I can tell you that it is (in my experience) the easiest of the different types of rosacea to get under control. In other words the most successfully treated type of rosacea. I don't have statistics on it but this is an area I know and have experience with.

We are here if you need us- good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    You are very welcome Mike. I just want to add some encouragement about Ocular Rosacea and its symptoms. It's true that it may take time to get your symptoms under control but I can tell you that it is (in my experience) the easiest of the different types of rosacea to get under control. In other words the most successfully treated type of rosacea. I don't have statistics on it but this is an area I know and have experience with.

We are here if you need us- good luck!
    An uplifting and encouraging post.

Thank you Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by mick1234 View Post
    Hi,

If you have mites you should see some once in awhile in the morning in your eyelashes. Yes--they are little white critters. My eyes tear, feel sandy and there is an itching sensation when they exit and enter. I have had luck with keeping them under control with tea tree oil. It's not pleasant to use--it stings. I put it on before I go to bed and keep my eyes closed. It sounds like your lids are very irritated. Please be careful.

I used to get those eye symptoms a lot whenever i'd be working really hard and pulling long hours at work, like 18-30 hr shifts. I used to think it's because of dry-eye and was hesitant for a while to get contacts because of that. Then my ophtho told me that they actually sometimes treat dry eye with contacts, so i started wearing them, and my symptoms actually got better. Like if i pull long days at work now, and i wear my contacts, my contacts might start bothering me a little bit, but nothing like the severe stinging/tearing that wouldn't resolve until i washed my eyes thoroughly with splashes of cold water or douse them with a large stream of eye drops. If i DONT wear my contacts, my eyes will go back to stinging/tearing.

I suspect it's because the contacts offer sort of a moist barrier between the demodex/bumps on the eyelids and the cornea/conjuctiva.

As far as how to get rid of the demodex themselves, I'm still trying to figure that out myself tbh... I've read that paper that Brady Burrows linked up there (I was actually going to link that same article in my intro post in the intro forum but since i'm a newb the forum wouldn't let me :P ). There are tea tree oil lid scrubs you can use that are specially formulated for ocular use, not sure how effective they are, but I'd recommend keeping more concentrated tea tree oil away from the eye area as TTO can damage ocular tissue. I'd also recommend keeping alcohol away from the eyes (even though it's pretty good at killing demodex), for the same reason.

One thing i've been trying lately (i've only done it 2-3x though), is rubbing a small amt of neem oil over my lashes before bed. It isn't irritating at all, and supposedly neem oil is supposed to kill em too.. I know that there is a home remedy beauty tip around the world that rubbing oil (castor, olive) over the lashes and eyebrows makes them grow longer and stronger. I wonder if it's because the oil suffocates the demodex, and thus the lashes dont fall out as much...
    Last edited by Wawa; 16th September 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Hey, wawa,

I use castor oil on my lashes and my eyes are sooooo much better. And my lashes have gotten fuller, too!

Something else I use is this:

http://www.myotcstore.com/store/p/29...FYFo4AodSh4AIA

Eye Wash (with an eye cup). It's got boric acid, which they say is soothing to eyes. Actually, boric acid kills mites -- so no wonder it's soothing! This is very good when eyes get itcy or filmy.

G
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Hey, wawa,

I use castor oil on my lashes and my eyes are sooooo much better. And my lashes have gotten fuller, too!

Something else I use is this:

http://www.myotcstore.com/store/p/29...FYFo4AodSh4AIA

Eye Wash (with an eye cup). It's got boric acid, which they say is soothing to eyes. Actually, boric acid kills mites -- so no wonder it's soothing! This is very good when eyes get itcy or filmy.

G
    sweet!