Thread: Daily flushing at exact same time, feeling very ill, fatigued, moves around face

Default Daily flushing at exact same time, feeling very ill, fatigued, moves around face

I read a few posts about people that have said that they have the same thing but my question is regarding how you feel while it's happening. I have had the flushing for well over 3 years now and my face stays red at the apples of my cheeks and over my nose. I flush hot and bright from 8- about noon daily. This is my worst time. I also feel very unwell while it's doing this. Like I have a fever and very sick and very fatigued. Then it calms down for a while and then starts up a little bit more around 3-5 or 6 and is calmer. Sometimes I flush in the evening as well but not all of the time. It also changes from left to right side sometimes. Also covers more of my face down to my chin at times. Sometimes very hot around my lips. For a couple of days, it spread up to under my right eye socket and was burning all behind my eye. My eye was also very puffy and swollen. When I flush, it's an intense dry heat. I'm undergoing testing to find out the cause but I'm worried they won't be able to find it definitively. Has anyone else experienced the same thing with Rosacea? or with something else? I do not eat the same foods or take the same meds and have searched for many patterns and found none since this has been happening for almost 4 years and is progressively worsening it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyrhyanon View Post
    I read a few posts about people that have said that they have the same thing but my question is regarding how you feel while it's happening. I have had the flushing for well over 3 years now and my face stays red at the apples of my cheeks and over my nose. I flush hot and bright from 8- about noon daily. This is my worst time. I also feel very unwell while it's doing this. Like I have a fever and very sick and very fatigued. Then it calms down for a while and then starts up a little bit more around 3-5 or 6 and is calmer. Sometimes I flush in the evening as well but not all of the time. It also changes from left to right side sometimes. Also covers more of my face down to my chin at times. Sometimes very hot around my lips. For a couple of days, it spread up to under my right eye socket and was burning all behind my eye. My eye was also very puffy and swollen. When I flush, it's an intense dry heat. I'm undergoing testing to find out the cause but I'm worried they won't be able to find it definitively. Has anyone else experienced the same thing with Rosacea? or with something else? I do not eat the same foods or take the same meds and have searched for many patterns and found none since this has been happening for almost 4 years and is progressively worsening it seems.
    Hi I just want to say I totally feel your frustration.

I've seen most of the derms in the California bay area it feels like LOL, and nobody has been able to give me any definitive answers, despite many blood tests, including some pretty specific ones (coagulating factors i think) my PCP's never heard of :p

I have evening flushing, but am a little flushy in the morning, which stabilizes after I walk around for a bit. Unlike you, my worst flushing is in the evening.

Have you noticed any correlation between flushing and your menstrual cycle? My flushing is the worst days 12-14, and I know some people have night nose flushing around ovulation time as well. You say you have found no patterns but just in case!

Anything that happened around the time of your onset? Was it gradual or sudden (mine was sudden, when I went off birth control)?

Is it equally as bad in summer / winter?

Have you tried treating it with anything?

Are you still able to sweat on your face, do you know?

Have you taken your temp or blood pressure during your flares?

It is really important as I'm sure you know to rule out lupus, thyroid, carcinoids, mastocytosis, etc (I have none of these though) just in case. Curious if you know your cortisol is normal? (cortisol is highest in morning but maybe yours is too high? it also gets high again in afternoon ... )

My tryptase is somewhat high, but not high enough for masto ... From what I gather tryptase can be high-ish in erythromelalgia / rosacea - like symptoms. You've tried antihistamines?

RE: other symptoms that co-occur, like fatigue, I've found that if I don't get enough sleep or feel tired, then the flushing is going to be so much worse. It's sort of like my body is saying it's starting to shut down and needs to sleep. I find it kinda like a migraine in that regard (which I am also prone to) -- if I can just get some sleep, I'll probably get some relief. Unfortunately the flushing makes it hard to sleep

I also think that at least for me, "flushing" may be the wrong word ... it's sort of like a spasming maybe? Like muscles/ blood vessels are knotting / tensing up and pulsing. Like you, maybe one side of my face is fine, while the other is on fire ... then it will switch ... but definitely it is not a uniform blush -- random spots will be on fire and the rest of my face fine, and the spots migrate / grow.

Another thing I've noticed is that my skin is always "mottled" (all over) typically -- purple lacy pattern (livedo reticularis). One of my derms thinks because some skin areas might not be getting enough blood (perhaps due to arteriovenous shunting..) there is an overcompensation when temp rises. I am normally most "mottled" in the inner arms, and I flush there badly as well.

I've pleaded with doctors to do more tests, bc obviously something is not right / normal, but I am told that "the science is not there yet".

I am so sorry this is happening to you and hope you find some answers / relief. Please update the forum if you find out anything!

Best wishes,

Lizzy

(sorry if I've bombarded you with questions!)
    Last edited by laser_cat; 21st October 2017 at 06:11 AM.

I kind of had a similar experience. When I first moved to Georgia, I would always flush in the middle of the day. It would happen right around noon, almost on the dot... not bad flushing, but still not fun either... Anyway, when I went to my new GP here and had a standard physical with blood work, he noted that my cholesterol was getting a little high (I do eat a good amount of meat and eggs). So, I started bulking up veg in my diet and chose leaner cuts of meat instead of full fat like I usually did. After about 1-2 weeks, my midday flushing stopped. Could it be related? I think in my case it probably was. I was initially blaming it on moving to a warmer climate, but now I'm thinking my diet was a little off for me, personally. Once I sorted that piece out, the midday flushing stopped.

Not sure this info will help you, but I do understand what it's like to have that consistent flushing at the same time each day.

Hi Ladyrhyanon, your flushing is worst in the morning then? Do you perhaps feel that your face heats and reddens up overnight? Or does it start after you woke up and get up and out and about? There are so many possible triggers for rosacea, it might be all sorts of things. Sometimes when asleep we can overheat ourselves, or have a reaction to the washing powers we wash bed linen in. Sometimes it can be the face products you use after getting up in the morning, or the toothpaste used then. It could be whatever you have for breakfast. Evenings can also trigger more flushing for some, as the body temperature goes up a bit in the evening, half a degree I think it is. For women, hormones can indeed play a role. It is very personal, but the last week of the cycle is often mentioned as 'the worst' for women as there is a high progesterone level then, which can flare rosacea sometimes.

It is indeed important to rule out other health conditions that can cause flushing (here are a couple: http://scarletnat.blogspot.fr/2014/0...facial_29.html). Many here have not found anything else that causes their rosacea however, so you might not find the answers from these tests, but it's important to rule out tumors and lupus and some other conditions. Sometimes rosacea is 'just' rosacea unfortunately and our blood vessels are too abundant and not constricting enough as they should. Sometimes the central nervous system is triggered and the immune system is overactive, sometimes underlying auto immune conditions can fire rosacea up, sometimes hormones can do this. Sometimes rosacea is just genetic, or the result of sun damage or steroid use. There are ways to control the face flushing though; certain anti flushing medications and many people have found relief with IPL or laser as well.

Hope you can find out your worst triggers and calm your flushing further down

Quote Originally Posted by JennAdeleK View Post
    I kind of had a similar experience. When I first moved to Georgia, I would always flush in the middle of the day. It would happen right around noon, almost on the dot... not bad flushing, but still not fun either... Anyway, when I went to my new GP here and had a standard physical with blood work, he noted that my cholesterol was getting a little high (I do eat a good amount of meat and eggs). So, I started bulking up veg in my diet and chose leaner cuts of meat instead of full fat like I usually did. After about 1-2 weeks, my midday flushing stopped. Could it be related? I think in my case it probably was. I was initially blaming it on moving to a warmer climate, but now I'm thinking my diet was a little off for me, personally. Once I sorted that piece out, the midday flushing stopped.

Not sure this info will help you, but I do understand what it's like to have that consistent flushing at the same time each day.
    Interesting Jenn. I'm so glad you were able to get that straightened out!

Hello and welcome.

The fact that you say you feel fatigued makes me wonder if this could be lupus. I've been tested for that multiple times over the years because doctors thought I was too young for rosacea.

I would definitely have some more tests done. I only bring up lupus because you described yourself as feeling fatigued and your redness appears primarily on your nose and cheeks (typical of a lupus butterfly rash). Again, this is just a speculation. Definitely have more tests done, because I agree that it sounds like something else might be going on.

Best,
    Katie

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by JennAdeleK View Post

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kfranke View Post
    Hello and welcome.

The fact that you say you feel fatigued makes me wonder if this could be lupus. I've been tested for that multiple times over the years because doctors thought I was too young for rosacea.

I would definitely have some more tests done. I only bring up lupus because you described yourself as feeling fatigued and your redness appears primarily on your nose and cheeks (typical of a lupus butterfly rash). Again, this is just a speculation. Definitely have more tests done, because I agree that it sounds like something else might be going on.

Best,
    Katie
    Yes, I am having tests run. My rheumatologist said he had never heard of my flushing that moves around and from side to side sometimes.

Default Hi

Yes, I am having tests run. My rheumatologist said he had never heard of my flushing that moves around and from side to side sometimes.
    Is the face flushing still going on?

Quote Originally Posted by switchman View Post
    Is the face flushing still going on?
    Hi switchman,
    ladyrhyanon made her last post on October 22, 2017 in this thread at post number 8 and has never been heard from again. The rosaceans come and go, talking about all their woes. While there are 36,968 Members in RF only 359 are active as of this date. If you click on a members display name you can also view all the member's posts and the last date the member posted if you are logged in as an active member.

Flushing is a chief complaint of most rosaceans. If you want to learn more you can use the search box top right corner and type in 'flush' 'flushing' 'flushing avoidance' and spend a couple of hours reading the results since there is a wealth of information on flushing in RF to review. Another source of information on flushing.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi