Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZZ cream and Finacea?

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Hi!

When my night flushing first went crazy, derms told me to use finacea + soolantra (once a day ... then twice a day). After a few months they threw oracea + metrogel + 4% niacinimide gel in there as well I guess to cover their bases :p

I didn't notice any improvement with flushing, but found the finacea + soolantra combo kept my skin smooth (due to the finacea) and moisturized (due to the soolantra). Note I never had bumps though. In my case it's an internal / hormonal issue for sure (Derms now think the problematic blood vessels are really too deep under my skin for topicals / laser).

I'd be interested though if the soolantra or zz cream or something else though helps with your night flushing. You probably know this, but soolantra / zz cream can still help even if mites are not your issue.

Good luck,

Lizzy

PS - I'd guess the zz cream + finacea combo (as opposed to the soolantra + finacea combo) might be drying, but don't take my word for it.
    Hi, Lizzy! Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I can't afford Soolantra, the only way I can get my hands on Finacea is through an Australian pharmacy (it's a quarter of the price!). My skin is on the oilier side of the spectrum (in summer I don't really need a moisturizer) so maybe ZZ cream wouldn't be too much of an issue?

My night flushes were all but gone over the summer, but as soon as the temperature dropped, my cheeks started burning at night - I haven't even turned the heat on yet. :-/ This is actually how my rosacea started three years ago, it wasn't until last fall that the acne started. (May I blame trump?)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Oh you'll know if it's a die-off.

The reason Finacea seems to be helping is because it is causing your skin to renew faster. New skin is less red. It is not killing the Demodex Mites, as Miss M said, which are the root cause of your issues. You are treating a symptom, and not the cause. Other ways of treating symptoms would be prescribing antibiotics, which relieve some redness and inflammation, but which do not eliminate the cause of the problem, Demodex Mites.

When I was suffering badly from Demodectic Rosacea, and when I had at least 3 weekend days ahead of me where I could be alone, I would sometimes use a Lactic Acid peeler which would completely remove the top layer of my skin. Once the new skin had come through on the 3rd/4th day, my skin would look and feel beautiful, and I would be clear from Demodectic Rosacea for several days. The pustules and redness would then obviously return, because the Demodex Mites were still alive.

It is quite simple really, and I believe you are seriously over-complicating things, although I understand you are only being cautious. The bottom line is that Finacea is not actually helping you. Only ZZ Cream or Soolantra can help.
    Thank you for the info. I have so many questions:
    Do you know if ZZ cream helps with redness and flushing, too? My cheeks get extremely irritable in the winter thanks to dry, indoor heating.

My forehead and chin are fine, the only area I have issues with are my cheeks. Will ZZ cream cause the mites to migrate while they're trying to escape? I'm so afraid of ruining the happy parts of my skin.

I know you're a guy but do you think it's okay to wear makeup after applying the cream? If there's going to be a die off, I'd like to be able to cover up the carnage...unless it's best to leave it alone.

I have more things to ask but I don't want to be annoying so I'll stop here for now.

Carly,

My recommendation is to apply the ZZ cream at night just before bed. In the am wash the ZZ cream off and apply make up. There is make up designed for rosacea such as IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Neutralizing Correcting Cream or the IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Neutralizing Concealing Cream. Follow this routine for at least 90 days. If the ZZ cream is working you will know in about 30 days. It takes 90 days or more to get your rosacea under control with the ZZ cream.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Hi Carly!

I just want to throw it out there, in case you decide to use Soolantra. The reason I chose not to use ZZ cream was because my skin was rough, dry and extremely sensitive, so I wasn't sure if I could tolerate ZZ cream. But, many people use it with no problem at all and I think it could be a great option.

If you go to the Soolantra website, you can print out a savings card which helps you to buy Soolantra with refills. I spent $75 for a tube that has lasted me over two months (the largest tube). So, that a little less than $40/month (my insurance doesn't cover Soolantra, darn it!). I think that ZZ cream costs as much for a jar, but I'm not sure how long it lasts? Maybe RR can weigh in on this.

As for my skin, my cheeks were red, flushed and had pustules. I did not have pustules on my forehead or chin. I had an increase in pustules when I started using Soolantra, but it only lasted for a week or two. I know I'm lucky...some deal with pustules for the duration of the 3 month treatment, but everyone's experience is different. Your skin may react more or the issue could resolve very quickly. Pustules never happened on my forehead or chin after Soolantra use...and the redness and burning went away on my cheeks. I thought I had neurogenic rosacea (my left cheek constantly tingled and burned), but after about 6 weeks, that symptom went away too. Soolantra has been a godsend for me, honestly. I was scared about trying it too....but, I'm so glad I did. As I mentioned before, if Soolantra or ZZ cream doesn't work, then at least you know demodex isn't your issue. However, if your main symptoms are pustules, then it is likely that demodex infestation is happening.

As for make-up...I think you have to wash of ZZ cream in the morning (it's a zinc based paste, so you can't wear it during the day anyway). With Soolantra, I apply it in the evening after I wash my face (I wash only once per day). So, in the morning, I apply sunscreen that is tinted and it acts a bit like make-up. So, yes, make-up is an option if it doesn't irritate your skin.

I hope this helps!
    M.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Carly,

My recommendation is to apply the ZZ cream at night just before bed. In the am wash the ZZ cream off and apply make up. There is make up designed for rosacea such as IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Neutralizing Correcting Cream or the IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness Neutralizing Concealing Cream. Follow this routine for at least 90 days. If the ZZ cream is working you will know in about 30 days. It takes 90 days or more to get your rosacea under control with the ZZ cream.
    Thanks, Brady. Do you think I could still use Finacea in the morning? I know it's considered an active but I never had the burning or itching that most people experience when they first start, so maybe it's mild enough to use with ZZ cream? I just bought another tube of Finacea last week and even though it didn't cost too much, I really don't want to waste it.

Speaking of makeup, have you tried BareMinerals? It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin and it covers up my red cheeks quite nicely! It's not heavy either. : )

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    Hi Carly!

I just want to throw it out there, in case you decide to use Soolantra. The reason I chose not to use ZZ cream was because my skin was rough, dry and extremely sensitive, so I wasn't sure if I could tolerate ZZ cream. But, many people use it with no problem at all and I think it could be a great option.

If you go to the Soolantra website, you can print out a savings card which helps you to buy Soolantra with refills. I spent $75 for a tube that has lasted me over two months (the largest tube). So, that a little less than $40/month (my insurance doesn't cover Soolantra, darn it!). I think that ZZ cream costs as much for a jar, but I'm not sure how long it lasts? Maybe RR can weigh in on this.

As for my skin, my cheeks were red, flushed and had pustules. I did not have pustules on my forehead or chin. I had an increase in pustules when I started using Soolantra, but it only lasted for a week or two. I know I'm lucky...some deal with pustules for the duration of the 3 month treatment, but everyone's experience is different. Your skin may react more or the issue could resolve very quickly. Pustules never happened on my forehead or chin after Soolantra use...and the redness and burning went away on my cheeks. I thought I had neurogenic rosacea (my left cheek constantly tingled and burned), but after about 6 weeks, that symptom went away too. Soolantra has been a godsend for me, honestly. I was scared about trying it too....but, I'm so glad I did. As I mentioned before, if Soolantra or ZZ cream doesn't work, then at least you know demodex isn't your issue. However, if your main symptoms are pustules, then it is likely that demodex infestation is happening.

As for make-up...I think you have to wash of ZZ cream in the morning (it's a zinc based paste, so you can't wear it during the day anyway). With Soolantra, I apply it in the evening after I wash my face (I wash only once per day). So, in the morning, I apply sunscreen that is tinted and it acts a bit like make-up. So, yes, make-up is an option if it doesn't irritate your skin.

I hope this helps!

M.
    Oh, this does help! Thank you. xx Your skin issues sound a lot like mine! It's both a blessing and a curse to have rosacea condensed into specific areas. I think the fact that the rest of my skin looks normal only highlights how red my cheeks are. (My right cheek is especially angsty.)

I can't even fork over enough for another dermatologist visit atm, that's why I flew over Soolantra and set my sights on ZZ cream. I literally just bought another tube of Finacea, so I'll sit on all this info before jumping into ZZ cream or Soolantra. I can't find much ZZ cream information on any of the Reddit skincare forums, so that makes me a little bit hesitant.

To be honest, one of the main reasons I'm afraid of trying either product is because they're my last hope. I mean, I can live with the decent results of Finacea, but I'm always wondering if there's something better. If Zz cream doesn't work, I'll have used up all my options and I'm not sure I'm prepared to face what that implies.

*ugh* I hate rosacea :p

fyi... washing twice a day is kinda rough. You should only do it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Carly1981 View Post
    Thanks, Brady. Do you think I could still use Finacea in the morning? I know it's considered an active but I never had the burning or itching that most people experience when they first start, so maybe it's mild enough to use with ZZ cream? I just bought another tube of Finacea last week and even though it didn't cost too much, I really don't want to waste it.

Speaking of makeup, have you tried BareMinerals? It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin and it covers up my red cheeks quite nicely! It's not heavy either. : )
    Yes, I don't see why not use the Finacea in the am after you wash off the ZZ cream. Then apply the Bare Minerals cosmetic. I don't use cosmetics. Never have. Keep us posted on your results.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Thank you for the info. I have so many questions:
    Do you know if ZZ cream helps with redness and flushing, too? My cheeks get extremely irritable in the winter thanks to dry, indoor heating.

My forehead and chin are fine, the only area I have issues with are my cheeks. Will ZZ cream cause the mites to migrate while they're trying to escape? I'm so afraid of ruining the happy parts of my skin.

I know you're a guy but do you think it's okay to wear makeup after applying the cream? If there's going to be a die off, I'd like to be able to cover up the carnage...unless it's best to leave it alone.

I have more things to ask but I don't want to be annoying so I'll stop here for now.
    You say that you have Subtype 2 Rosacea. 9/10 times this is caused by Demodex Mites. That is the likely cause of any flushing.

If you "flush in the winter" only, then you need to clarify if you are talking about a time in your life pre-Subtype 2, or post Subtype 2. If pre-Subtype 2, then the cause is not Demodex Mites, in which case I cannot help you. With Subtype 2, you will flush all year round.

After Subtype 1, my Subtype 2 started on my cheeks and slowly moved to my forehead and then to my chin. Yes, mites can migrate which is why you apply ZZ Cream and Soolantra to your whole face.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to apply makeup if you want to.

What else would you like to know? It seems that you are sure that you have Subtype 2 Rosacea likely caused by Demodex Mites. Or do you think you have something else?

We've been assisting you for several months with many of your questions over various threads. Ask away!
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Oh, this does help! Thank you. xx Your skin issues sound a lot like mine! It's both a blessing and a curse to have rosacea condensed into specific areas. I think the fact that the rest of my skin looks normal only highlights how red my cheeks are. (My right cheek is especially angsty.)
    Could be for a number of reasons, such as sleeping on one side, one side seeing more sun, etc. Usually in America it's the left side seeing more sun, at least in people with cars.

I can't even fork over enough for another dermatologist visit atm, that's why I flew over Soolantra and set my sights on ZZ cream. I literally just bought another tube of Finacea, so I'll sit on all this info before jumping into ZZ cream or Soolantra.
    That's a pity.

I can't find much ZZ cream information on any of the Reddit skincare forums, so that makes me a little bit hesitant.
    I don't see how that is relevant at all? If you only trust Reddit then go and ask Reddit and let them advise you. It's a bit of a slap in the face to us otherwise, and you'd be wasting our time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAdd...apulopustular/

To be honest, one of the main reasons I'm afraid of trying either product is because they're my last hope. I mean, I can live with the decent results of Finacea, but I'm always wondering if there's something better. If Zz cream doesn't work, I'll have used up all my options and I'm not sure I'm prepared to face what that implies.

*ugh* I hate rosacea :p
    There is a vast amount of information about ZZ Cream and Soolantra. There is nothing to be sceptical about. If you have Demodectic Rosacea/Subtype 2 Rosacea, they are going to help you.

Trust me, having Demodectic Rosacea/Subtype 2 is a blessing. Vascular Rosacea - general redness and flushing with an unknown cause - is what you don't want.
    Last edited by RedRecluse; 17th October 2017 at 07:47 AM.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!