Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZZ cream and Finacea?

Default ZZ cream and Finacea?

Hi, I stated applying Finacea (2x a day) about three months ago. There's been a huge improvement in my subtype 2 rosacea - some days my skin actually looks normal! However I still have errant breakouts, flushing, and redness on my cheeks. The acne disappears faster than before but I'd like to stop it from coming entirely. Last fall and winter my rosacea went from mild to crazy, so I'm worried that my cheeks will rebel again this year as soon as I turn on the indoor heating. I don't want to carry a fan around everywhere. Again.

I was wondering if it's safe to use ZZ cream and Finacea at the same time? (Of course I'd apply one in the morning and the other at night.)

I've been on the fence about trying ZZ cream because I'm so afraid of the purging phase(s), but I'm so anxious about the upcoming winter wreaking havoc on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Carly1981 View Post
    Hi, I stated applying Finacea (2x a day) about three months ago. There's been a huge improvement in my subtype 2 rosacea - some days my skin actually looks normal! However I still have errant breakouts, flushing, and redness on my cheeks. The acne disappears faster than before but I'd like to stop it from coming entirely. Last fall and winter my rosacea went from mild to crazy, so I'm worried that my cheeks will rebel again this year as soon as I turn on the indoor heating. I don't want to carry a fan around everywhere. Again.

I was wondering if it's safe to use ZZ cream and Finacea at the same time? (Of course I'd apply one in the morning and the other at night.)

I've been on the fence about trying ZZ cream because I'm so afraid of the purging phase(s), but I'm so anxious about the upcoming winter wreaking havoc on my skin.
    Honestly ZZ Cream is all you need. You won't need the Finacea. Just use the ZZ Cream. If I'm wrong I will eat my words.

Please do read through my entire thread, it will help tremendously.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Carly, I have to agree with RR. Think of it this way, if your rosacea is demodex induced, then after a few months of treatment (likely sooner---mine cleared up in two weeks), you won't have to deal with these bumps again. It's not a purging phase, it's a die-off of the mites. Once the mites are gone, then your rosacea will be controlled. The finacea is just a band-aid not dealing with the root cause of the issue. I have been using Soolantra for 2 months now and I now longer breakout, have burning redness and my flushing has been much better, I'd say about 90% better. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet. If nothing else, if the Soolantra/ZZ cream doesn't work, you can cross it off the list for good.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    Carly, I have to agree with RR. Think of it this way, if your rosacea is demodex induced, then after a few months of treatment (likely sooner---mine cleared up in two weeks), you won't have to deal with these bumps again. It's not a purging phase, it's a die-off of the mites. Once the mites are gone, then your rosacea will be controlled. The finacea is just a band-aid not dealing with the root cause of the issue. I have been using Soolantra for 2 months now and I now longer breakout, have burning redness and my flushing has been much better, I'd say about 90% better. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet. If nothing else, if the Soolantra/ZZ cream doesn't work, you can cross it off the list for good.

M.
    Well said.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post

M.
    Maybe I'll experiment on one cheek(?) I'm worried that if I stop Finacea completely I won't be able to tell if my cheeks are reacting to *that*, or if it's a die off. Also, my skin isn't really all that bad (especially since I started using azelaic acid), so I'm afraid of fixing something that's not truly broken and making things worse. I don't have any dry spots or flaking skin anywhere - it's pretty balanced right now. What I really want is an end to the redness and heat on my cheeks. I tend to have the breakouts after flushing episodes (usually at night). So maybe it's an internal issue that can't be fixed with a topical?

Maybe I'm asking for too much and should just be glad I found something that helped...

why not use both and ween off the finacea after a few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by sham View Post
    why not use both and ween off the finacea after a few weeks?
    That sounds like a good plan, I just want to be sure they're compatible.
    I'm hoping someone on the forum might know.

Maybe I'll experiment on one cheek(?) I'm worried that if I stop Finacea completely I won't be able to tell if my cheeks are reacting to *that*, or if it's a die off. Also, my skin isn't really all that bad (especially since I started using azelaic acid), so I'm afraid of fixing something that's not truly broken and making things worse. I don't have any dry spots or flaking skin anywhere - it's pretty balanced right now. What I really want is an end to the redness and heat on my cheeks. I tend to have the breakouts after flushing episodes (usually at night). So maybe it's an internal issue that can't be fixed with a topical?

Maybe I'm asking for too much and should just be glad I found something that helped...
    Oh you'll know if it's a die-off.

The reason Finacea seems to be helping is because it is causing your skin to renew faster. New skin is less red. It is not killing the Demodex Mites, as Miss M said, which are the root cause of your issues. You are treating a symptom, and not the cause. Other ways of treating symptoms would be prescribing antibiotics, which relieve some redness and inflammation, but which do not eliminate the cause of the problem, Demodex Mites.

When I was suffering badly from Demodectic Rosacea, and when I had at least 3 weekend days ahead of me where I could be alone, I would sometimes use a Lactic Acid peeler which would completely remove the top layer of my skin. Once the new skin had come through on the 3rd/4th day, my skin would look and feel beautiful, and I would be clear from Demodectic Rosacea for several days. The pustules and redness would then obviously return, because the Demodex Mites were still alive.

It is quite simple really, and I believe you are seriously over-complicating things, although I understand you are only being cautious. The bottom line is that Finacea is not actually helping you. Only ZZ Cream or Soolantra can help.

Hi!

When my night flushing first went crazy, derms told me to use finacea + soolantra (once a day ... then twice a day). After a few months they threw oracea + metrogel + 4% niacinimide gel in there as well I guess to cover their bases :p

I didn't notice any improvement with flushing, but found the finacea + soolantra combo kept my skin smooth (due to the finacea) and moisturized (due to the soolantra). Note I never had bumps though. In my case it's an internal / hormonal issue for sure (Derms now think the problematic blood vessels are really too deep under my skin for topicals / laser).

I'd be interested though if the soolantra or zz cream or something else though helps with your night flushing. You probably know this, but soolantra / zz cream can still help even if mites are not your issue.

Good luck,

Lizzy

PS - I'd guess the zz cream + finacea combo (as opposed to the soolantra + finacea combo) might be drying, but don't take my word for it.
    Last edited by laser_cat; 16th October 2017 at 10:04 PM.

Something else to consider is that posting pics will really help you get the best advice. Although you do mention Subtype 2 which is 9/10 times cause by Demodex Mites.