Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Derm Just Recommended Adding Blue Light

Quote Originally Posted by JennAdeleK View Post
    My symptoms when I first started red light therapy were exactly as you describe, but I'd also add that I sometimes had stinging and burning as well. I started seeing some small results almost immediately... but definitely small results at the outset. At about 2-3 weeks in, I was seeing more significant improvements (decreased sensitivity, reduced overall redness, reductions in the occasional bumps). And, at about 2 months or so, I was doing significantly better in all areas (you'd hardly ever even know I had rosacea on most days, unless I hit a trigger).

I still have some sensitivity to sun, wind, heat, etc (not bad at all), but my new derm thinks that can still be reduced by adding in the blue light.
    Oh, amazing! So glad its helped you so much! So it has definitely reduced flushing? I have quite severe flushing...

Quote Originally Posted by fifihope View Post
    Oh, amazing! So glad its helped you so much! So it has definitely reduced flushing? I have quite severe flushing...
    Yes... I hardly ever flush anymore. The last time I had a flush/flare was a few weeks ago over some strawberries (which are a major trigger for me).

I'm hoping that when I add in the blue light, I'll become less sensitive to the environmental triggers, like sun, heat, and wind. Again, my sensitivity isn't bad at this point... but I'm always looking for ways that it can become even better, and then I can heal further.

Good luck! Blue light has always interested me for antifungal and bacteria and of course that could cause imflamation and redness too!
    Hope it goes well

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondS View Post
    Good luck! Blue light has always interested me for antifungal and bacteria and of course that could cause imflamation and redness too!
    Hope it goes well
    Thank you! Yes, I'm hoping the doc is right... that it will help promote overall wellness of the skin barrier and make me less sensitive.

Ok... just ordered a blue light therapy unit from Smarter Lights. I went with "The Pure Blue" option, as it emits zero UV. I plan to start that and see what happens as soon as it arrives... too excited about adding it to my current regimen that I didn't wait until Friday to order (thank you, credit card). LOL!

I figure it will take about 2 weeks to start seeing any sort of real results, much like with the red light. Results are just too tiny at first to really be properly measurable, at least in my experience.

Yeh totally! Give it some time to work and let us know how you go. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondS View Post
    Yeh totally! Give it some time to work and let us know how you go. Good luck!
    Will do! Thanks!

Ok... so... it's here:

blue light.jpg

I love how quickly Smarter Lights gets their units delivered!

I already did one session today for 60 seconds. I went ahead and did it after I completed my PM red light therapy (5 minutes of the red light)... giving my skin about 10 minutes between red and blue. The blue felt nice, rather relaxing actually, and I did wear my eye protective gear.

I plan to do 2 sessions a day, AM & PM, just like I do with my red. Should know more in a week or 2...

Since an update on my blue light was asked on another thread, I thought I'd also go ahead and post the same info here in case anyone is interested and thinks it might help them:

Well, I'm only 3 days into using it... which is 6 sessions... but I love my blue light so far. I am starting to notice a small difference. A very mild decrease in the little bit of pinkness I did still happen to have now and then. Plus, my tone seems a tad more even overall, and my texture is looking nice. It also feels very relaxing to use. I use it immediately after my red light therapy sessions.

I do my red light 2x per day for 5 minutes each session, followed by the blue light therapy 2x per day for 3 minutes per session (1 minute straight on and then 1 minute on each side of the face).

I'm quite surprised it's going so well. I really questioned in the back of my mind whether my new derm was right about this for rosacea (especially subtype1), but it seems she's onto something for sure.

Ok... 1 week into adding the blue light and it's time for an update!

The blue light is going GREAT! I'm actually totally shocked to find it's helping (it wasn't something I would've considered adding to my routine on my own). I do my red light for 5 minutes first, then switch to the blue for 3 minutes (I want to work up to 5 minutes on this as well, but I'm taking it slow). I'm currently using both therapies 2x per day.

The derm wanted me to use blue after the red to essentially "make my skin barrier more resilient and balance my microbiome." According to my derm, rosacea folks tend to have a weakened barrier, which leads to a lot of environmental sensitivity and a greater risk of infection. I can say that I have had random infections pop up now and then since being diagnosed, so I'm praying this stops that completely.

While my red light seems to handle any inflammation well (decreased pinkness/redness, less itching, less burning, and the occasional bumps are pretty much gone), the blue light seems to tone down the circulation increase I get after doing red light. The blue light does also appear to be making me less sensitive to environmental stimulation (stong perfumes worn by others, increased heat and sun tolerance, and I'm starting to feel more comfortable with bug sprays and basic cleaning products that have mild scent). Plus, the tone and texture of my skin is becoming more even (I do have a fairly even tone anyway, but I'm noticing a positive difference on top of that).

So, I would say that I'm still seeing the biggest daily benefits from red light therapy, but adding in the blue light therapy took the power of red up a notch. I plan to continue with both, as this is giving me the best results so far.

Hope this post helps. Again, I'm only a week in... so that's 14 treatments. I didn't see the biggest results start to emerge from red light until the first month. It might be that blue light still has more to show me.

I'll report back at the end of week 2.