Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My rosacea flushings almost gone (chili cream)

My skin itself is fine / a non-issue; I tolerated the cream fine
    Yes, flushing / burning threshold was raised in terms of external heat (not social flaring, or night flaring - which were worse). This makes a little sense in hindsight, as I can see sensory nerves being less able to register the heat, so less of a response. The social flaring I think involves overactive sympathetic nerves, possibly induced by local inflammation in severe cases. The night flaring - might start with a type of inflammation that peaks at night (my guess) and/or parasympathetic vasodilation.

I think skin barrier is only one possible source of inflammation. Others I can think of are: systemic autoimmune diseases, demodex, TMD or arthritis of jaw, contribution from an inflamed thyroid / hashimoto's .. In particular from what I understand, damaged nerves will induce a local inflammatory response (Schwann cells etc..) by an unknown signal. This inflammation could cause vasodilation in its own right, sensitize the nerves, etc.
    I think there is so much yet unknown, that unless there are published papers backing capsaicin/rosacea up, I would personally qualify it as a risk. Laser is also supposed to help in theory - and yet there is at 1 least publication cautioning that it can stir up more inflammation than it can help things. (not to mention the disaster of the Mirvaso/vasoconstriction theory) The capsaicin theory says that all TRPV1+ small fibers should be defunctionalized - but I can see it being stochastic and possibly defunctionalizing some, while partially activating some. Or inducing too much damage on the vasculature before anything gets to a stable point. etc. I am not saying don't try it, just that I wish I had read an account like mine before I tried (esp. the 5x/day frequency) to know that there might not be a light at the end of the tunnel.
    My doctor was very excited when I said I would try it - but he acknowledged that he didn't know for sure what would happen.

Best
    Last edited by laser_cat; 2nd April 2020 at 03:02 PM.

Its interesting that your flushing threshold was raised by capsaicin and I totally agree with your explanation for that. Maybe your social/evening flushes are not caused by a dysfunction of TRP-Channels, but i cant explain why they got worse.

I am applying capsaicin-cream (0.075 %) once daily now on the right side of my face for 10 days now. In the beginning, the cream caused massive vasodilation, an increased blood flow and a burning sensation for an hour. Now, after ten days of use, the burning after apllication starts to decrease in intensity but the erythema still persists.
    My pre-treatment flushing didnt worsen. I noticed yesterday, that when my face started to flush, the untreated side flushed slightly more then the treated side, but the difference is not that significant.

Quote Originally Posted by IllyrianEagle View Post
    Its interesting that your flushing threshold was raised by capsaicin and I totally agree with your explanation for that. Maybe your social/evening flushes are not caused by a dysfunction of TRP-Channels, but i cant explain why they got worse.

I am applying capsaicin-cream (0.075 %) once daily now on the right side of my face for 10 days now. In the beginning, the cream caused massive vasodilation, an increased blood flow and a burning sensation for an hour. Now, after ten days of use, the burning after apllication starts to decrease in intensity but the erythema still persists.
    My pre-treatment flushing didnt worsen. I noticed yesterday, that when my face started to flush, the untreated side flushed slightly more then the treated side, but the difference is not that significant.
    So how is it going so far?