Thread: Biopsy for Rosacea?

Default Biopsy for Rosacea?

Is it true that a biopsy can confirm a diagnosis of rosacea or just rule other things out?

As I am reading I would say my son's condition most resembles rhinophyma?

There are no histological, serological or other diagnostic tests for rosacea and a diagnosis is simply arrived at by a patient history and physical examination. Source

Galderma has patented a diagnostic test for rosacea, but so far no one knows what this test is for sure, but it may involve some sort of 'genetic markers.'

There are diagnostic tests, i.e., Autologous serum skin test (ASST) to rule out chronic uticaria, ANA blood test to rule out lupus or scleroderma, including biopsies (i.e., ruling out demodectic rosacea), to rule out other skin conditions, but no biopsy for rosacea.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 17th September 2017 at 12:39 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    There are no histological, serological or other diagnostic tests for rosacea and a diagnosis is simply arrived at by a patient history and physical examination. Source

Galderma has patented a diagnostic test for rosacea, but so far no one knows what this test is for sure, but it may involve some sort of 'genetic markers.'

There are diagnostic tests, i.e., Autologous serum skin test (ASST) to rule out chronic uticaria, ANA blood test to rule out lupus or scleroderma, including biopsies (i.e., ruling out demodectic rosacea), to rule out other skin conditions, but no biopsy for rosacea.
    Thank you for your reply and for the great information. I will have to ask the doc which kind of rosacea he thinks my son may have. One doc did take a sample to rule out juvenile lupus ? and also at that time he had an ANA blood test. This new pediatric derm we are seeing wants to give him Accutane if the doxy doesn't help and it doesn't seem to be helping at all.

His nose is beginning at times to look bulbous and he is very frustrated. I am fearful of the side effects of Accutane. If demodectic rosacea is the parasite type he was treated for that also with an oral med taking four pills and then a week later taking another four...also no help.

I have read that using glycerin soap is good for him to cleanse his face with? Is this a good idea?

He plays high school basketball and when he exercises and after showering his nose is soooo red!

Quote Originally Posted by browneyes View Post
    I have read that using glycerin soap is good for him to cleanse his face with? Is this a good idea?

He plays high school basketball and when he exercises and after showering his nose is soooo red!
    I answered this in your other post.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi