Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my 16 year old son may have rosacea??? questions about skin care

Default my 16 year old son may have rosacea??? questions about skin care

Hello to everyone here!

I am new to this group and am excited to be a member. My 16 year old son has been struggling since the 6th grade when one random pimple appeared on his nose and from there it has been awful.

His pediatric dermatologist thinks he may have a mix of rosacea and acne?? He is currently on doxycycline twice a day....doesn't seem to be making a bit of difference. He also uses metro gel.

He wants to treat him with Accutane? Has anyone here used Accutane?

Also I bought him glycerine soap to wash his face. Is that ok? I have read conflicting reports.

Quote Originally Posted by browneyes View Post
    Hello to everyone here!

I am new to this group and am excited to be a member. My 16 year old son has been struggling since the 6th grade when one random pimple appeared on his nose and from there it has been awful.

His pediatric dermatologist thinks he may have a mix of rosacea and acne?? He is currently on doxycycline twice a day....doesn't seem to be making a bit of difference. He also uses metro gel.

He wants to treat him with Accutane? Has anyone here used Accutane?

Also I bought him glycerine soap to wash his face. Is that ok? I have read conflicting reports.
    Hi Browneyes!

Welcome to the forum! I'm just curious, what other symptoms does he have other than pimples? Also, what are his pimples like? Are they true comedones and cysts, or are they more like the pustules and papules found in those with subtype 2 rosacea? If he truly has demodectic rosacea there are other treatment options he should try first other than accutane...there is a lot of information here forum members can point you to.

Happy Saturday to you!
    -M

Heya welcome. I was on accutane when I was 17 and I have alot of outbreaks of large pimples or cyst like ones. I was treated with accutane quick enough and it cleared my skin up great. Some People think it might bring on rosacea? But I guess at the time you really want to fix it so it doesn't matter. I'm also on accutane now for oily skin and a low dose so I support it but only at a low dose. But a derm will know best. I think give it a try if his skin is really bad ...if its anything like mine when I was younger ( cystic acne) you should go on accutane ASAP

Default Hi Miss M

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    Hi Browneyes!

Welcome to the forum! I'm just curious, what other symptoms does he have other than pimples? Also, what are his pimples like? Are they true comedones and cysts, or are they more like the pustules and papules found in those with subtype 2 rosacea? If he truly has demodectic rosacea there are other treatment options he should try first other than accutane...there is a lot of information here forum members can point you to.

Happy Saturday to you!
    -M
    Last edited by browneyes; 16th September 2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Im having trouble figuring out how to reply

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    Hi Browneyes!

Happy Saturday to you!
    -M
    Hi Miss M,

He has some other acne as well but the other acne looks just like acne and nothing else. The skin on his nose is getting thick like I've read about. It definitely gets more red when he gets heated up or takes a shower. I'm not sure I know the difference between comedones and cysts as opposed to pustules and papules. They have been described as pustules and papules although they don't have anything in them. The doc has not explained what subtype 2 rosacea is? The doctor did give him an anti fungal oral medicine (the name escapes me) He had to take 4 doses and then wait a week and four more but it did not help. He explained that he gave him that for a fungus maybe or a parasite.

What is the difference between demodectic roseacea and subtype 2 rosacea.

My son is also on omeprazole. He is going to have an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to see if he has allergic esophagitis? I've read about spicy foods and diet and the connection with rosacea. I look at pictures of him in the 6th grade and we can see this one pimple that appeared and now he is 17 and his nose looks just awful!

I am very nervous about allowing him to take the Accutane. I appreciate you taking the time to post and will gladly take any advice or suggestions you may have!

Happy Saturday to you also!

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondS View Post
    Heya welcome. I was on accutane when I was 17 and I have alot of outbreaks of large pimples or cyst like ones. I was treated with accutane quick enough and it cleared my skin up great. Some People think it might bring on rosacea? But I guess at the time you really want to fix it so it doesn't matter. I'm also on accutane now for oily skin and a low dose so I support it but only at a low dose. But a derm will know best. I think give it a try if his skin is really bad ...if its anything like mine when I was younger ( cystic acne) you should go on accutane ASAP
    Hi Raymond,

Thank you for the reply! I'm glad to hear your skin cleared up great on the Accutane. The first doc I took him to described it as cystic acne but didn't like Accutane so it wasn't an option. How long have you been on the Accutane? Do you have to have blood tests while you are on it? Any side effects? I don't understand why they can't identify what exactly he has? I will ask him about Accutane bringing on rosacea. The new doc said he thinks it's a mix of acne and rosacea but the more I read about rosacea the more I think it's not acne.

His nose is so red and there is already a bit of scarring. He doesn't have a whole lot of acne elsewhere - just a bit here and there but nothing to speak of and that acne will come and go. The nose never goes away.

Low does isotretinoin has had some successful reports. You should be aware that long term isotretinoin may induce accutane induced rosacea. There are many in RF who are taking low dose isotretinoin and say it works for them. However, some have reported that over long term it makes rosacea worse. Obviously, the lower the dose, the better, in terms of making it worse in the long term. Topical steroids do the same thing. Just like accutane, both work wonders at first then, wham, your skin is a nightmare.

A mild soap, such as ivory, is recommended for rosacea sensitive skin. However, if the glycerin soap is mild, which probably it is, should work fine.

There are a number of treatments for phenotype 5 to consider, one of them being Low Dose Isotretinoin, but just remember that long term there are risks. Short term Low Dose Isotretinoin should clear up the phymatous issue. Might want to consider other treatments for long term phymatous issues.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Low does isotretinoin has had some successful reports. You should be aware that long term isotretinoin may induce accutane induced rosacea. There are many in RF who are taking low dose isotretinoin and say it works for them. However, some have reported that over long term it makes rosacea worse. Obviously, the lower the dose, the better, in terms of making it worse in the long term. Topical steroids do the same thing. Just like accutane, both work wonders at first then, wham, your skin is a nightmare.

A mild soap, such as ivory, is recommended for rosacea sensitive skin. However, if the glycerin soap is mild, which probably it is, should work fine.

There are a number of treatments for phenotype 5 to consider, one of them being Low Dose Isotretinoin, but just remember that long term there are risks. Short term Low Dose Isotretinoin should clear up the phymatous issue. Might want to consider other treatments for long term phymatous issues.
    Thank you again! So much to consider for all who have this issue and as his mother I am so nervous as he is just 17 years old. I don't understand why the doc wants to give him Accutane? He said he thinks what is on his nose is a mix of acne and rosacea but I don't see it that way. I will check out the links you speak of. Does Accutane come in a cream form? I really don't want him to take the Accutane. I'm thinking I should visit another doc to compare. Thank you

Anyone here have a good doc in the Boston area?

Quote Originally Posted by browneyes View Post
    Hi Raymond,

Thank you for the reply! I'm glad to hear your skin cleared up great on the Accutane. The first doc I took him to described it as cystic acne but didn't like Accutane so it wasn't an option. How long have you been on the Accutane? Do you have to have blood tests while you are on it? Any side effects? I don't understand why they can't identify what exactly he has? I will ask him about Accutane bringing on rosacea. The new doc said he thinks it's a mix of acne and rosacea but the more I read about rosacea the more I think it's not acne.

His nose is so red and there is already a bit of scarring. He doesn't have a whole lot of acne elsewhere - just a bit here and there but nothing to speak of and that acne will come and go. The nose never goes away.
    I was on it when I was younger for about 5 months on a higher dose. No Iv been taking it for about 2 months low dose 10mg a day. No blood test as my doctor had checked my liver and all before I had taken it and as its a low does they have not worried about further blood test at the moment. My issue of course is different to you sons but hey low dose accutane is great place to start. Sooner rather than later I say. I will help control and swelling or thickness and smooth the skin out / pimples gone. High dose can be a bit more of a concern. But I think he will be fine in a low dose. What Brady says is true, there's many who had good success with low dose and some who have had accutane induced rosacea but Theres risk with any medication you take.

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondS View Post
    I was on it when I was younger for about 5 months on a higher dose. No Iv been taking it for about 2 months low dose 10mg a day. No blood test as my doctor had checked my liver and all before I had taken it and as its a low does they have not worried about further blood test at the moment. My issue of course is different to you sons but hey low dose accutane is great place to start. Sooner rather than later I say. I will help control and swelling or thickness and smooth the skin out / pimples gone. High dose can be a bit more of a concern. But I think he will be fine in a low dose. What Brady says is true, there's many who had good success with low dose and some who have had accutane induced rosacea but Theres risk with any medication you take.

Thank you again. The doctor didn't mention which dose - he knew at the last appt I was nervous and he said and I quote "You can't have your son walk around with a bulbous nose" Right now he is taking doxy 100 mg twice a day and it is not helping at all. He also uses metro gel. My son has to have an endoscopy in a couple of weeks to help diagnose some gastro issues. Diet doesn't seem to make his nose better or worse as we kept a food journal for a while.