Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pityriasis Folliculorum- white scales and dead skin build up due to Demodex

Quote Originally Posted by Optimismum View Post
    Hi MissM,

This is an interesting thread because since I am in this forum, I read people here and there who have this condition and ask for explanation or help, but they had rarely an answer.

I did or I had all what you describe. I have subtype 1 (redness, flushing) + SD + occasionally p&p. I think all my condition was caused by sun and sunburnt on my face and lack of face hygiene during my adolescence. I'm now 25.
    The result of each face wash was a red face for hours, so I stop washed my face and just washed with water once or twice a week. I did this for years, my face had a strange texture (rough, dry like) and color (like pink-orange) but redness was reduced. The explanation is by the accumulation of scales and dead skin that hid the redness all over my face. So one day I decided to remove it and I recognized myself when you said "it roll off ". Since this day I can now see this tiny white/yellow spikes in pores, every day. I tried to remove them with twizzers but they always come back.

I went to my derm, a professor, a reputable one in my country and diagnosed me with " pytyriasis folliculorum" or in other words demodex infestation. He did skin scrapping and it reveals a lot of demodex. He said that demodex love in particular the vascular areas of the face, areas with dilated vessels.
    So he gave me Soolantra, I had to stop because it flared my SD. So I searched for an alternative : a lotion that can treat demodex without triggering my SD. Soolantra is a Cétaphil base cream and SD doesn't like that...

I treat it now with a lotion SD trigger free with piroctone olamine (to treat demodex) and climbazole (to treat SD). The white spikes (demodex) and SD had greatly reduced. I have now a better skin texture (no more roughness), no more stinging, redness reduced, flakes reduced, skin less reactive in general , however I have to every day remove a lil bit of persistent dead skin but nothing to compare before the treatment, and I think this dead skin is due to SD and not demodex.

Here is my routine for 1 year :

Evening
    - I wash my face very gently with a gently soap and with mineral water (bottle). Lukewarm.
    - I don't dry my skin. Not yet.
    - I remove the dead skin / white scales with a cotton pad with hot water in. To easily remove it.
    - I dry my face with a tissue but I let my skin a little bit wet and then I apply the lotion with piroctone olamine and climbazole. Then, I dry the remaining wet areas.

Morning
    - nothing

Other tips :
    - I change my pillowcase every day
    - I respect the routine every day even when I travel
    - I do exercice ( running ). It helps to dynamize the skin and good for mental.
    - I have a good diet (lot of vegetables)

I recently have a visit to my derm and he said that demodex greatly reduced and he can't see anymore massif white spikes. I will now do 3 purpura Vbeam seance to treat the underlying redness caused by dilated vessels caused by years of suns.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    Bravo! You could always try ZZ Cream if Soolantra affected your SD. ZZ Cream does not feed SD. ZZ Cream cured my Demodectic Rosacea as well as my SD which I had in my nose folds, moustache and on my chin.

I went to my derm, a professor, a reputable one in my country and diagnosed me with " pytyriasis folliculorum" or in other words demodex infestation. He did skin scrapping and it reveals a lot of demodex. He said that demodex love in particular the vascular areas of the face, areas with dilated vessels.
    Give this man a medal!
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

@Optimissum: quick question, how does one know that the reaction from Soolantra is from SD, and not from demodex?

Wow this sounds exactly like what I have. I've had issues with the weird, tiny skin flakes that don't respond to moisturizer, oils, vaseline, manual and chemical exfoliants, etc.. My entire face is covered and feels almost slightly gritty. They aren't like normal pics you see of dry flaky skin, just a very small piece of skin poking out of every pore or follicle. I first joined this site in 2010, at the time I thought I was having a reaction to mold in my house but even after moving out the symptoms persisted.

I had went to multiple derms, was first told to be more gentle with my skincare but never did anything at that time that would even cause dryness or irritation. I was given desonide (a steroid), elidel, a prescription anti fungal cream, ketaconazole wash,oracea, metrogel. Nothing worked and no diagnosis seemed to make any sense or fit really (contact dermatitis, sebhorric dermatitis, rosacea).

Looking back, before this all started I was trying out different cleansing methods and moisturizers. I had used jojoba oil, shea butter, emu oil to either cleanse or as an occlusive moisturizer. Now i'm wondering if all these oils and lack of true cleansing soaps caused this?

I've had this issue no joke for 8 years now, I really thought I just had to live with it because dermatologists were of no help. Is this really rare? I can't believe no dermatologist brought this up to me. My skin looks exactly like the pics and description i've searched of pirtyriasis folliculorum
    Last edited by SaraL; 25th December 2018 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    Hi Brady!

Yes, I've read this very exact quote. I'm so glad you posted this. I do believe that part of the reason my situation got out of hand was because I wasn't cleansing properly. I thought that I was causing more irritation with cleansers. Sigh.

For me, washing only with water or a non-cleanser (like honey or oil cleansing) was not adequate to remove the debris and oils that feed the mites. On top of that, I would occasionally use jojoba or coconut oil to moisturize my face because I thought it was dry (flakiness means dry, right?! NOPE).

In my opinion, if rosaceans are more prone to demodex infestation, it might be better to find a gentle cleanser to wash (if possible) than to not wash at all. This is just from my experience. I will never ever ever ever go back to not washing my face after going through this.
    Very interesting thread.

I'm just going through a somewhat similar experience. I stopped washing my face several years ago and seemed to notice a slight improvement of symptoms at the time - it therefore became absolutely automatic to me that 'I mustn't wash my face!'. I can relate fully to what people have described in this thread, the follicular plugs/spikes, flaking, and the build up of debris that I always mistook for 'dryness' even though moisturiser couldn't quench it. I even applied soolantra nightly for over 5 months, without ever properly cleansing my face (only lightly rinsing with water)!! With hindsight, it really is no wonder I eventually suffered the mother of all flare-ups.

For the past two months, I've been washing my face again with soap and water once daily (for me, I think twice would be excessive) and also lightly exfoliating as much as I dare, to try to clear the backlog of debris that has built up from years of this mis-practice. Though I'm still struggling with p&p's, the 'background' appearance of my skin, the so-called dryness, and the visible follicular plugs are all much improved.

My question is, how far can soap and water go in reversing a condition such as this? I had a very traumatising experience with soolantra (which I'm now theorising might well have been down to the lack of face-washing, but I cannot be certain of this), and would be very reluctant to go down that road again...
    Last edited by davem81; 25th May 2019 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davem81 View Post
    Very interesting thread.

I'm just going through a somewhat similar experience. I stopped washing my face several years ago and seemed to notice a slight improvement of symptoms at the time - it therefore became absolutely automatic to me that 'I mustn't wash my face!'. I can relate fully to what people have described in this thread, the follicular plugs/spikes, flaking, and the build up of debris that I always mistook for 'dryness' even though moisturiser couldn't quench it. I even applied soolantra nightly for over 5 months, without ever properly cleansing my face (only lightly rinsing with water)!! With hindsight, it really is no wonder I eventually suffered the mother of all flare-ups.

For the past two months, I've been washing my face again with soap and water once daily (for me, I think twice would be excessive) and also lightly exfoliating as much as I dare, to try to clear the backlog of debris that has built up from years of this mis-practice. Though I'm still struggling with p&p's, the 'background' appearance of my skin, the so-called dryness, and the visible follicular plugs are all much improved.

My question is, how far can soap and water go in reversing a condition such as this? I had a very traumatising experience with soolantra (which I'm now theorising might well have been down to the lack of face-washing, but I cannot be certain of this), and would be very reluctant to go down that road again...
    Dave I have a strong suspicion that I'm suffering from the condition discussed in this thread. I'm still fairly new to all this rosacea stuff. I'm currently using Finacea and an antibiotic. With no real improvement at the moment. My skin has the "extremely dry feel" and I have the white specs that are mentioned in this thread.
    My question for you is. What kind of soap are you using? Also what are you using to exfoliate?
    Also do you have persistent redness on nose and inside of cheeks? My face has redness constantly and enlarged pores. Those are the two symptoms that bother me the most. I see my dermatologist this upcoming week. So any information would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a topic that overlaps with this one: https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...ighlight=ayres

Quote Originally Posted by Mothinrust View Post
    Dave I have a strong suspicion that I'm suffering from the condition discussed in this thread. I'm still fairly new to all this rosacea stuff. I'm currently using Finacea and an antibiotic. With no real improvement at the moment. My skin has the "extremely dry feel" and I have the white specs that are mentioned in this thread.
    My question for you is. What kind of soap are you using? Also what are you using to exfoliate?
    Also do you have persistent redness on nose and inside of cheeks? My face has redness constantly and enlarged pores. Those are the two symptoms that bother me the most. I see my dermatologist this upcoming week. So any information would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't think I can offer you much helpful advice when it comes to face washing, as it's an issue I'm still wrestling with myself...

I used Simple anti-bacterial soap once per day for a few months. This was wonderfully cleansing after the years of only using water, however after a couple of months I began to notice a significant spike in the oiliness of my skin. Even though my skin didn't feel overly dry, my assumption is that the soap was drying it out, leading in turn to oil overproduction. Clearly something of a catch 22 situation, in that the soap was helping with a certain problem while potentially creating another....

I've since moved to a soap-free, supposedly 'moisturising' liquid cleanser in the hope that it would be significantly less drying and hopefully allow the oil-production increase to reverse itself. However, I have to say that it doesn't seem to have nearly the same cleansing 'power' as the soap (which I guess it wouldn't), and in a double-whammy, nor has the oiliness of my face yet reduced...

So, my own routine remains very much in flux I'm afraid.
    Last edited by davem81; 26th August 2019 at 05:18 PM.