Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post VBeam HELP!

Question Post VBeam HELP!

Hello friends -

Re-posting this under the laser forum hoping to get more traction with my thread.

I had my first non-brusing VBeam (2 passes) in May and recovered fine within 10 days.

5 weeks ago I had a second non-brusing Vbeam. The derm did three passes vs. two and my swelling was much more dramatic, but resolved within a week. HOWEVER, I am much more red/flushy/reactive and seem to have this constant little throbbing/burning in my cheeks, chin, and nose. I am now flushing in areas I never flushed before (ears/nose/forehead). My face has this constant tingly/burning feel to it and I am horribly sensitive to light. I am more pink than pre-treatment and when I flush, it is the most red flush I've ever had.

I have read other threads noting that it took some people a while for their skin to calm down from Vbeams, however this does not feel right and now I am seeing old threads saying that their flushing/burning symptoms permanently worsened after an aggressive Vbeam treatment. I saw my derm a few days ago who said this is NOT normal and that of course the laser cannot make rosacea worse and that it is something I'm doing. She gave me tetracycline 100 mg, but I am reluctant to take it as my issue is flushing/redness vs acne (although I do get some small pimples on my lower cheeks and chin). I'm also very focused on my gut health which the antibiotics will be detrimental.

I am scared that I've worsened my condition. Has anyone else had this issue and did it eventually resolve? I'm getting very nervous. No signs of scarring or burns (but maybe I was burned or damaged since I'm so pink/red/burning).

Thanks in advance for your advice,
    Sally

Reposting my reply too This is the right topic for your question, indeed.

Hi!

It could be normal, or it could not be normal.. You already knew that much yourself though. You wouldn't be the first member here who had a long downtime from laser or IPL, up to several months sometimes, where people assumed the very worst and (much) later updated that actually, things cleared up after all and they consider the treatment a success despite all the worries. But a very small percentage of people has their rosacea made worse by lasers or IPL. I had IPL in 2005 and discussed it on here ad nauseam at the time, but I used to flush on my upper cheeks, and only from very clear triggers, and after that treatment I flushed all over my face and chin, everywhere he zapped, and the flushing was deep red and wouldn't stop anymore. It was horrendous to be frank. The man who performed the IPL said it couldn't be the IPL and I must have done something in the weeks following the treatment that caused it. Stress in my case, or so he said. Which was nonsense. There have been others who had the same reaction. But the great majority of people do recover from IPL or laser. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer.

I would advise you to take some anti flushing medication if you can, just temporary probably, to help your skin calm down. Clonidine or propranolol can help, antihistamines too. If you feel your face is inflamed too (deep redness that won't go away when you are in a cool environment), then perhaps an NSAID can help with that. I had a few weeks of diclofenac after my bad treatment and that did seem to help bring the post-procedure inflammation and swelling down.

Then wait and see.. The more you stress, the more you can flush. It's a mean vicious cycle, but I would trust in the good outcome here and your skin might have had a harder time now with the increased settings..

Keep us posted! Try to relax and distract yourself for the weeks coming perhaps?

Thanks so much for your response. I decided to start taking the doxy 100mg 2x a day to help calm the inflammation as the derm insisted that it will help with inflammation and redness. I see my GP next week and will ask about the clodine and propronol, but fear the rebound. Burning/stinging seems to be more of a problem at this point than flushing unless I'm in a constant flush and don't realize it. I'm also taking curcumin and quercetin.

My cheeks look constantly sunburnt and hurt. I'm trying to stay positive that this will resolve, however I'm seeing no improvents and it's killing me. For some reason I'm experiencing tingling in non treated areas too, and I don't understand the science behind why any of this could happen if the vbeam just targets red vessels, which is why I opted for it.

I was diagnosed last year and my life has hit a brand new crippling low. Just when I thought this could not get worse. Over the past year I've been trying to fight this without drugs, and topicals irritate me, hence the vbeam. To think I've worsened my condition is devastating. Having constantly sunburnt and throbbing cheeks 5 weeks out cannot be a normal reaction to Vbeam.

Quote Originally Posted by sg321 View Post
    Thanks so much for your response. I decided to start taking the doxy 100mg 2x a day to help calm the inflammation as the derm insisted that it will help with inflammation and redness. I see my GP next week and will ask about the clodine and propronol, but fear the rebound. Burning/stinging seems to be more of a problem at this point than flushing unless I'm in a constant flush and don't realize it. I'm also taking curcumin and quercetin.

My cheeks look constantly sunburnt and hurt. I'm trying to stay positive that this will resolve, however I'm seeing no improvents and it's killing me. For some reason I'm experiencing tingling in non treated areas too, and I don't understand the science behind why any of this could happen if the vbeam just targets red vessels, which is why I opted for it.

I was diagnosed last year and my life has hit a brand new crippling low. Just when I thought this could not get worse. Over the past year I've been trying to fight this without drugs, and topicals irritate me, hence the vbeam. To think I've worsened my condition is devastating. Having constantly sunburnt and throbbing cheeks 5 weeks out cannot be a normal reaction to Vbeam.
    Just a suggestion, but maybe try lyrica for the pain/stinging? I would doubt that doxy would help with that ... but maybe. Lyrica is a bit sedating but maybe there would be some benefit taking it at night. Also, over time the sedation may lessen... I used to take it when my stinging/burning was bad. Good luck!

Hi

If anything, the doxy can help bring skin inflammation levels down.. If you don't feel your skin is getting worse from it, then it is probably a good idea to keep using it for now. Not much flushing, ok well that is very positive. The tingling and burning could be from the nerve endings in your skin being hyperreactive for now. Nerves recover very slowly, within 6 months but they can take their jolly time for things. (I had frostbite from falling asleep on a frozen gelpack once with one cheek and seen neurologist for the nerve pain from that injury and he said to give it 6 months, as nerves heal slowly, and he was right, after 6 months the pain eased and then stopped). Maybe the v-beam triggered your nerves and they just need more time to calm down? I had nerve itchings and awkward feelings in the face after wisdom tooth removal too, some were irritated and bruised from the extractions and that also took some months to go away.

Who knows, it might need some more time to settle down... I hope hard for you this calms down soon

Thanks for your insights, Nat. Interesting theory about the facial nerves. A part of me also wonders if I over-iced for the first 48 hours after treatment, but for that to be the cause of my vbeam recovery issues doesn't feel right, although I did have some pretty violent rebound flushing during weeks 2 to 3 but read that was normal for some who eventually saw positive results so I wasn't worried at that time. Now I'm worried!!

I'm glad to hear your nerves recovered!

After 48 hrs on the doxy and taking curcumin, the inflammation is down ever so slightly however I am still quite pink/blotchy/stinging. I think my treatment was too aggressive and my body did not react normally. Hoping it will change its mind.

I had no idea some got worse on doxy! Not encouraging given I'm sacrificing my gut health for the sake of my face...Not even knowing if it will truly help. Then there's always the question of the possible wosening rebound after going off doxy on an already worsening condition due to vbeam. Ugh.

I had no idea some got worse on doxy!
    Wait - just to be clear in case you inferred this from my post above, I just meant there might be other/better options out there for the stinging/pain than doxy... doxy is supposed to be anti-inflammatory and supposedly inhibits angiogenisis ... I would really keep going with it assuming you have no bad rxns... keep updating your derm as well how you get on! And try to get lots of sleep so you can heal ... best of luck

Thanks laser cat. Didn't know doxy was anti angiogenesis. That's good news, however I wonder if I waited to long to take it as I suspect my angry vessels went on a multiplying mission after this treatment. Of course now I'm reading that vbeam can trigger new vessel growth? Is that really possible? Perhaps that's what happened to me as my ocular rosacea has gone wild as well. This is crazy. I'm so upset.

Thanks laser cat. Didn't know doxy was anti angiogenesis. That's good news, however I wonder if I waited to long to take it as I suspect my angry vessels went on a multiplying mission after this treatment. Of course now I'm reading that vbeam can trigger new vessel growth? Is that really possible? Perhaps that's what happened to me as my ocular rosacea has gone wild as well. This is crazy. I'm so upset.

all lasers and ipl can trigger angiogenesis on treated area and even neighboring non-treated area, so whether such disaster can happen or not totally depends the doctorís skill, knowledge, and experience (and maybe also a bit of patientís luck, not quite sure though).

keep us updated with your progress. i really hope you have recovered!

Wanted to update this thread...

So, I eventually ďrecoveredĒ from this Vbeam, although I cannot say it improved my condition. Because my skin was so reactive after this Vbeam, I reluctantly started doxy 100mg for a month. That really helped. Then I went to Oracea as I didnít like the idea of long term, high dose doxy. Iím not sure why I did so well with Vbeam #1 and not #2....after reading many threads, Iím inclined to think that I just had an abnormal immune response to the laser treatment. I do have a history of autoimmune disease, which has been under control for many years. I chose the Vbeam since it has been around forever and is used on babie, etc. My advice to those looking to do laser is to make sure you do not have an autoimmune condition. Btw, I went to a top laser derm in the states and eat paleo...

So, I was doing ok, although not cured by any stretch, until a big flare induced by heat about 2 months ago. This led me searching for more answers. I had rejected the Demodex mite theory for a while, but because I have ocular rosacea as well, and itchy eyebrows with some pustules at times, and more bumps on my lower cheeks triggered by heat, I have decieded to revisit the mite theory. So, enter Soolantra and ciladrex eye wipes. It has been 6 weeks so far with many ups and downs. Iím trying to stay positive and persevere. The derm who prescribed it said she didnít think it would help me and wanted to throw rhofade at me which I quickly rejected. After 3 or 4 months, I will update everyone via the massive soolantra thread.

Best wishes to all. Iíve learned so much from reading your posts! Fingers crossed that we all find ways to end this totally absurd life halting condition.