Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: doxy 20mg twice a day

Default My experience

Iíve taken low dose doxy for probably about three years. Itís the only thing which has kept any rosacea symptoms from recurring. Iíve had no adverse effects during this time. My dermatologist and gp are both happy for me to continue.

Ive tried to wean off it at certain points and rely on other treatments. I just had a period of about a month of not taking it. Symptoms eventually begin creeping back every time though.

For me it seems to keep flushing at bay and my body seems to be better able at tolerating temperature changes, triggers like red wine, etc.

I am conscious of the whole debate around antimicrobial resistance, etc. There are a number of studies out there though which point to long term use of low dose doxy being safe with no long term problems

Quote Originally Posted by Brit_in_oz View Post
    There are a number of studies out there though which point to long term use of low dose doxy being safe with no long term problems
    Thanks for your report. Can you cite some of these studies, please? That would be most helpful for others to know about. Thanks.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default 2 studies

Hello - Here are two papers on the use of low dose doxy citing no effect on gut flora, etc:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/mi/2015/329418/

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...article/479281

There are some others online a quick google can source too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brit_in_oz View Post
    Hello - Here are two papers on the use of low dose doxy citing no effect on gut flora, etc:
    https://www.hindawi.com/journals/mi/2015/329418/
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...article/479281
    There are some others online a quick google can source too.
    The first paper you cite doesn't mention any length of time. The second paper mentions six months. So I suppose it is suggestive whether one feels what the long term effects of taking low dose or high dose doxycycline is. Galderma states in its efficacy statement about Oracea, "The efficacy of ORACEA Capsules treatment beyond 16 weeks and safety beyond 9 months have not been established." If you could find papers that mention the safety beyond nine months or even twelve months of using doxycycline that would be surprising since I have not seen any. Maybe there are such papers but difficult to find?

Anecdotal reports of using doxycycline beyond twelve months like yours where you state you have been taking it three years shows that low dose does indeed control rosacea, but as you point out, "I just had a period of about a month of not taking it. Symptoms eventually begin creeping back every time though." So it is good that you haven't noticed in adverse effects of taking it long term which to me three years is long term.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 24th July 2019 at 05:32 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi