Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doxy 20mg twice a day

Default doxy 20mg twice a day

My insurance wouldnt cover oracea even after submitting a coupon, so my doc asked if I was fine with taking doxy 20mg twice a day and I said that seemed reasonable. I have very mild p&p (a few a week) but my skin is dry and inflamed because of flushing. Has anyone had success with doxy low dose twice a day for general redness/flushing/dry skin? I suppose I will take it regardless because I do get bumps here and there but im really eager to see my derm on friday to try and get low dose clonidine. I forgot where but I read doxycycline can help with subtype 1 because it is anti-angiogenic and anti-inflammatory against cytokines.

A report Pascoe brings out is that 100 mg doxycycline is just as good as Oracea.

Paul says, "...There is no difference between delayed release 40mg Oracea vs. 50 mg doxycycline. The only difference is price..." Scroll down to Comment #82
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

hmm 100 is pretty high and definitely above the threshold for anti-inflammatory vs anti-bacterial

Quote Originally Posted by Boomtown405 View Post
    My insurance wouldnt cover oracea even after submitting a coupon, so my doc asked if I was fine with taking doxy 20mg twice a day and I said that seemed reasonable. I have very mild p&p (a few a week) but my skin is dry and inflamed because of flushing. Has anyone had success with doxy low dose twice a day for general redness/flushing/dry skin? I suppose I will take it regardless because I do get bumps here and there but im really eager to see my derm on friday to try and get low dose clonidine. I forgot where but I read doxycycline can help with subtype 1 because it is anti-angiogenic and anti-inflammatory against cytokines.
    Doxycycline/antibiotics... Don't go down that road...
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Doxycycline/antibiotics... Don't go down that road...
    Ive been holding off taking them as my p&p situation is mild but I have some ocular rosacea symptoms as well and cliradex helps sooth irritation with a cooling effect but i always develop grit and goop in my eyes and occasional blepharitis. Unfortunately these are things that can't be remedied with soolantra or zz cream..

Quote Originally Posted by Boomtown405 View Post
    Ive been holding off taking them as my p&p situation is mild but I have some ocular rosacea symptoms as well and cliradex helps sooth irritation with a cooling effect but i always develop grit and goop in my eyes and occasional blepharitis. Unfortunately these are things that can't be remedied with soolantra or zz cream..
    Have you tried this? https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...l=1#post337415

TTO, ZZ Cream and Soolantra can be applied to the eyelashes. You'll obviously need to be careful to avoid irritation.

There is also a product from Demodex Solutions for eyelashes.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Have you tried this? https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...l=1#post337415

TTO, ZZ Cream and Soolantra can be applied to the eyelashes. You'll obviously need to be careful to avoid irritation.

There is also a product from Demodex Solutions for eyelashes.
    I have been using cliradex on my eyes (wiping the eye area including lashes and the edge of the lower lid) once sometimes twice a day and those wipes have the active ingredient of TTO in them. I have 2 samples of soolantra but i only used it for 3 days as i was nervous about being allergic to almonds and the fact that almond oil can be metabolized by malessezia yeast and also the fact that i use a lotion with piroctone olamine which as Tom Busby noted can suppress demodex if not eradicate them so the treatment of two lotions seemed redundant. ZZ cream i would probably try if i was more certain demodex was a problem for me. Again, as of right now my problem is less p&p and more vascular flushing and very light perma-pink before the daily afternoon flush kicks in. I have some stomach issues as well as pituitary and testosterone issues that I suspect may play a role to some degree. As of right now my diet is very clean and somewhat low carb and no sugar (its hell). I also quit drinking and smoking chronic and havent done either in half a year (also hell). i could do without drinking for the rest of my life but i certainly miss the chron don. Thanks for the reply good sir.

Default I just took doxy

I have a similar sounding type of rosacea with associated blepharitis. Metro cream stopped working and standard blepharitis treatments don't work. I just took 50mg 1 X per day (but cut a little off the tablet to make it 40mg max) and it helped within a week. Skin and eyes has been great! But it also gave me thrush and I hate taking antibiotics. I finished a 4 weeks course. Stopped taking it. It's all coming back now within one week. I can keep taking it my gp says, but how long for?! Forever?! And what are the long term effects of that. .... What was your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Jane-Natalee View Post
    I have a similar sounding type of rosacea with associated blepharitis. Metro cream stopped working and standard blepharitis treatments don't work. I just took 50mg 1 X per day (but cut a little off the tablet to make it 40mg max) and it helped within a week. Skin and eyes has been great! But it also gave me thrush and I hate taking antibiotics. I finished a 4 weeks course. Stopped taking it. It's all coming back now within one week. I can keep taking it my gp says, but how long for?! Forever?! And what are the long term effects of that. .... What was your experience?
    I remember a long time ago one of my past dermatologists told me that I had to take tetracycline for the rest of my life (doxycycline was around, however, it wasn't used for rosacea at the time, even though it is part of the tetracycline based group). I didn't think the long term risks and side effects were worth the benefit of taking tetracycline for the rest of my life. That is what is called the benefit/risk ratio in medicine. The patient has the right to know what the benefits of any treatment are, as well as the risks and has the final determination on whether to accept or deny the treatment. So I stopped taking antibiotics, and instead, prefer probiotics, which is now a medically acceptable alternative to antibiotics. Of course, in some cases, short term antibiotics can be helpful if the benefit outweighs the risk in short term. However, long term is another story, with a long list of risks and side effects.

Supposedly Oracea, which is a low dose doxycycline, 40 mg (10 mg delayed release and 30 mg immediate release), is used for its anti-inflammatory benefit but nevertheless, it is still an antibiotic. Whatever the long term risks and side effects are from taking Oracea or low dose doxycycline will eventually be found by those who accept this treatment.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default My experience

Iíve taken low dose doxy for probably about three years. Itís the only thing which has kept any rosacea symptoms from recurring. Iíve had no adverse effects during this time. My dermatologist and gp are both happy for me to continue.

Iíve used other treatments at points when there had been