Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nose pain?

For the last three weeks I've been completely avoiding caffeine (with considerable ease, I might add) but the nose flushing has once again returned. So that's not causing it.

Although nowadays the start of the pain is weaker and for some reason it disappears every few hours. When it first started it wouldn't stop for the whole day.

Another thing I've noticed is that pressure from acne on my nose is causing some of the 'pressure feelings' I get, due to the stretching of my skin along the bridge.

Default Update

After a few years of not having a reason to come back to this thread I think it's time that I gave a brief update regarding my nose tingling. I still have the pain and it comes more frequently than before but at the same time it goes away faster. So nowadays I have it maybe 8 days/month in a repeating cycle of a week break between 2-3 days of pain. Symptoms are a painful electric tingling sensation on the surface of my nose on the bridge, nostrils and upper sides. There's also the slight pressure inside my nose. This is normally accompanied by congestion which is a new symptom as of 2020. I now regularly need to blow my nose. Also, a while back I noticed that there were broken capillaries on the inside of my nostrils.

The only temporary relief is pinching the top of my nose, pressing my forehead, or a hot shower. Using the first two techniques the pain comes back within seconds after I stop applying pressure (assuming it relieved the pain in the first place) and a hot shower works for maybe 5 minutes afterwards.

As I've commented elsewhere on this forum I finally decided to focus my derm's attention on this issue and she advised me to check with my doctor as she had no clue what was causing it. Well my doctor gave me two nasal sprays and a special type of paracetamol to see what works in order to tackle the root of the issue. One spray targets allergies, namely Avamys which contains cortisol, and Sofrasolone which targets non-allergic rhinitis. My brand of paracetamol is Sinutab Forte and is supplemented by a nasal decongestant called Pseudoephedrine (HCL). So far I've only been on these 3 medications for two weeks so it's too early to say what works and what doesn't.

Earlier this week I went to see my derm again and presented her with my theory which is that I've got some type of non-allergic, chronic rhinosinusitis caused by rosacea. The reason I think rosacea is the culprit is because of the broken capillaries inside my nose. Broken or dilated capillaries can swell the inner passageways of the nose and cause inflammation creating further issues such as congestion as the body tries to fight it. This is basically what rhinitis is (or is that rhinosinusitis/sinusitis??) which just so happens to have a paper written about its connection with rosacea. I'm not sure about the paper's validity but it's an interesting theory nonetheless: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ntrolled_Study. Anyways, we talked about it and she brought up allergies and although I told her about my doctor's medication plan she insisted on a test for group 1+2 house dust mites and mold allergies. I personally don't think an allergy is behind this, particularly since it ignores rosacea as a factor, but I'll update this thread with the results when I get them.

Finally, I'd like to ask once again if ANYONE else out there is experiencing something similar regarding your nose, especially if you suffer from phenotypes 2,3 or 6 (persistent erythema, telangiectasia or ocular symptoms).
    Last edited by BraceYourself; 11th February 2021 at 09:14 PM.

I don't recall anyone mentioning your particular nose issue, but I do recall that Violetsareblue started a thread that resulted in eight pages of posts here at RF about a special type nose flushing and Lizzy added her thoughts, while elegantsquatlobster said she also suffers from this nose flushing phenomenon so I started this thread to list the different treatment protocols offered. Wish I could be of more help to you.

Chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) is listed as one of the systemic cormorbidities in rosacea.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 12th March 2021 at 02:46 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by BraceYourself View Post
    After a few years of not having a reason to come back to this thread I think it's time that I gave a brief update regarding my nose tingling. I still have the pain and it comes more frequently than before but at the same time it goes away faster. So nowadays I have it maybe 8 days/month in a repeating cycle of a week break between 2-3 days of pain. Symptoms are a painful electric tingling sensation on the surface of my nose on the bridge, nostrils and upper sides. There's also the slight pressure inside my nose. This is normally accompanied by congestion which is a new symptom as of 2020. I now regularly need to blow my nose. Also, a while back I noticed that there were broken capillaries on the inside of my nostrils.

The only temporary relief is pinching the top of my nose, pressing my forehead, or a hot shower. Using the first two techniques the pain comes back within seconds after I stop applying pressure (assuming it relieved the pain in the first place) and a hot shower works for maybe 5 minutes afterwards.

As I've commented elsewhere on this forum I finally decided to focus my derm's attention on this issue and she advised me to check with my doctor as she had no clue what was causing it. Well my doctor gave me two nasal sprays and a special type of paracetamol to see what works in order to tackle the root of the issue. One spray targets allergies, namely Avamys which contains cortisol, and Sofrasolone which targets non-allergic rhinitis. My brand of paracetamol is Sinutab Forte and is supplemented by a nasal decongestant called Pseudoephedrine (HCL). So far I've only been on these 3 medications for two weeks so it's too early to say what works and what doesn't.

Earlier this week I went to see my derm again and presented her with my theory which is that I've got some type of non-allergic, chronic rhinosinusitis caused by rosacea. The reason I think rosacea is the culprit is because of the broken capillaries inside my nose. Broken or dilated capillaries can swell the inner passageways of the nose and cause inflammation creating further issues such as congestion as the body tries to fight it. This is basically what rhinitis is (or is that rhinosinusitis/sinusitis??) which just so happens to have a paper written about its connection with rosacea. I'm not sure about the paper's validity but it's an interesting theory nonetheless: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ntrolled_Study. Anyways, we talked about it and she brought up allergies and although I told her about my doctor's medication plan she insisted on a test for group 1+2 house dust mites and mold allergies. I personally don't think an allergy is behind this, particularly since it ignores rosacea as a factor, but I'll update this thread with the results when I get them.

Finally, I'd like to ask once again if ANYONE else out there is experiencing something similar regarding your nose, especially if you suffer from phenotypes 2,3 or 6 (persistent erythema, telangiectasia or ocular symptoms).
    Sort of, maybe. I had intense pressure / pain on the bridge of my nose - almost like the bones were changing the force was so much. This was decided by doctors to be unrelated to rosacea / rosacea meds. I also had a lot of pressure against my teeth, and like a pole was ramming through the top of my head. I got several dderm/neuro opinions and they said it was the combination of recently increased cymbalta, mirtazapine (which are synergistic in norepinephrine) and benadryl (which can exacerbate fight/flight/heart rate). My symptoms overall were very similar to pheochromocytoma which is a tumor which continually cranks out adrenaline (heart rate, headache, etc).

That's probably not helpful for you. I do have a second thing which I call "lymph bubbles" that were moving around my face. Like dense water bubbles. I could feel one go from my cheek to under my nose - and there was so much pressure under my nose, like a lymph bubble was trapped or something. I did not say this to doctors because I sensed I would come across .... crazy. After antibiotics (flagyl) which move the lymph around in the face, the pressure in my nose is less but not gone. Flagyl also decreased my persistent redness. But I will rebound from it. I dont know if another antibiotic would have been just as good or better - just flagyl kicks in the fastest I think out of antibiotics. I know antibiotics are controversial on here with their side effects but I honestly don't care about their side effects at this point. (My doctors are fine with it too, saying sometimes indefinite flagyl is the only thing that works for people. Was told to take a high dose probiotic and monitor for pins/needles in my feet.)

I don't know if that helps you at all. Nose to me indicates inflammation more than anything else (nerves, blood vessels). I had an MRI of my sinuses which were clear.

Good luck.
    Last edited by laser_cat; 12th February 2021 at 03:15 PM.

Yes I have developed this exact problem in the last few months. It?s an intense pain either side of my nose in my sinus area. I am sneezing a lot more than usual and my nose usually needs a good blow in the morning. I just think the edema/ lymph is building up there now too. I will have the odd day when it?s ok but then it kicks off again

Quote Originally Posted by Momof View Post
    Yes I have developed this exact problem in the last few months. It?s an intense pain either side of my nose in my sinus area. I am sneezing a lot more than usual and my nose usually needs a good blow in the morning. I just think the edema/ lymph is building up there now too. I will have the odd day when it?s ok but then it kicks off again
    I agree with edema / lymph building up. At the worst for me it was like hardened wax getting wedged between sides of nose / eyes. It's not getting worse for me anymore but it is still there and a problem.

At my worst i felt like i had a lymph? inflammation bubble? lodged INSIDE my nose bridge (you couldn't see it), like i just drank water and laughed, sort of. It was uncomfortable and i was worried it would never get out and just get worse. I went on flagyl and it did come out.

There was a case series of accutane used for acne and a couple of them found the accutane helped their post nasal drip. I thought that was interesting. They stopped accutane, the drip came back. Restarted, and the drip resolved. Interesting bc i think post nasal drip is hard to treat. I'm not saying accutane is the answer or that anyone should try accutane, but it is anti-inflammatory and moves the lymph around (wit hthe risk of making everything worse, seems like ..)

In the very beginning of my condition, I had "nose blowing" like crazy after each evening flare. Now I don't :/ I imaigne things are too "stuck" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Sort of, maybe. I had intense pressure / pain on the bridge of my nose - almost like the bones were changing the force was so much. This was decided by doctors to be unrelated to rosacea / rosacea meds. I also had a lot of pressure against my teeth, and like a pole was ramming through the top of my head. I got several dderm/neuro opinions and they said it was the combination of recently increased cymbalta, mirtazapine (which are synergistic in norepinephrine) and benadryl (which can exacerbate fight/flight/heart rate). My symptoms overall were very similar to pheochromocytoma which is a tumor which continually cranks out adrenaline (heart rate, headache, etc).
    That sounds intense. The pressure I experience makes my nose feel heavier with blunt pain accompanying it. Never felt it around my teeth or head.

That's probably not helpful for you. I do have a second thing which I call "lymph bubbles" that were moving around my face. Like dense water bubbles. I could feel one go from my cheek to under my nose - and there was so much pressure under my nose, like a lymph bubble was trapped or something. I did not say this to doctors because I sensed I would come across .... crazy. After antibiotics (flagyl) which move the lymph around in the face, the pressure in my nose is less but not gone. Flagyl also decreased my persistent redness. But I will rebound from it. I dont know if another antibiotic would have been just as good or better - just flagyl kicks in the fastest I think out of antibiotics. I know antibiotics are controversial on here with their side effects but I honestly don't care about their side effects at this point. (My doctors are fine with it too, saying sometimes indefinite flagyl is the only thing that works for people. Was told to take a high dose probiotic and monitor for pins/needles in my feet.)

I don't know if that helps you at all. Nose to me indicates inflammation more than anything else (nerves, blood vessels). I had an MRI of my sinuses which were clear.

Good luck.
    I get what you mean about not wanting to sound crazy to doctors. There's a lot of stuff us rosaceans need to deal with that isn't written in any books on their shelves. Like that's why I hesitated even bringing up my tingling pain to them since it's impossible to explain and their reactions make it look like I'm exaggerating it all smh.

In the very beginning of my condition, I had "nose blowing" like crazy after each evening flare. Now I don't :/ I imaigne things are too "stuck" for me.
    When I was on Treclin(ax) last summer the mucous in my nose was rubbery and sticky almost like cement. Let's just say I'm glad I never need to use that stuff again.

When I was on Treclin(ax) last summer the mucous in my nose was rubbery and sticky almost like cement. Let's just say I'm glad I never need to use that stuff again.
    Yikes!!

Default A diffent kind of nose thing

Finally, I'd like to ask once again if ANYONE else out there is experiencing something similar regarding your nose, especially if you suffer from phenotypes 2,3 or 6 (persistent erythema, telangiectasia or ocular symptoms).[/QUOTE]

Hi there! I?m not in here that often anymore, but I saw this and thinking I could give some input since my old thread from a few years ago is also mentioned.

From what I understand your nose problems are different to mine. You are not on any medication effecting your blood preassure are you? Looking at my problems I see clear that it had to do with the betablocker, Metoprolol, that I took and then got off. I naturally have tendencies of low bloodpreasure and Reynods syndrome and the medication i took severly worsened this, giving me even lower blood preassure, coldness in all my limbs and then caused me HEAVY rebound flushing of primarily my nose but also the rest of my face. It made me flush like crazy both when I was steady on it and then worse getting of it and it took about 7 horrendous months for it to fade.

A clean diet, exercise and a good skin care routine has helped me to push back rosacea, to a place where I dont see it anymore, BUT the flushing and swelling of my nose was not rosacea, but in my opinion, 100% a result of the medication. Also I have no flushing anymore.

Hope this can help someone!
    Love and warmth
    V