Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad reaction to Soolantra?

Quote Originally Posted by AlbaVF View Post
    Hey there!

(face today)
    Attachment 4923

My face is recovering well, I'm experiencing some annoying itching but I'm not sure if it is caused by the former rosacea or another thing (I guess it is demodex, as RedRecluse well said). The "good" thing is that I will re-start the Soolantra treatment soon, at least as soon as my cheek is less red (?)

My doctor was also surprised by my spread of the rosŠcea, I've never had problems in my face but on that cheek, not even acne in my early youth... (well I'm gonna turn 26 in October so I'm feeling a bit old lately)

(my face the day I went to the doctor, as usual only my right cheek on fire)
    Attachment 4922

I've been thinking about this strange spread and I have a theory; MAYYYYBE I fristly suffered from dermatitis, but because of corticoids it developed in a rosacea, and now I'm concern cause maybe even if cure/control rosacea the dermatitis problem will be underneath, have this happen to somebody before?

Another question; after the treatment with Soolantra, do you ever suffer from redness again, like it is all gone for good? or you still need to watch all the triggers and hide from the sun? Just to adjust my expectations.

I downloaded the trigger trackers from rosacea.org, thanks JennAdeleK! I'm creating a DDBB in order to later being able to work with the data and look for patterns and triggers
    Their trigger trackers are great! They really have them set up well. I ended up using 2 of them after I was first diagnosed to catch the bulk of my triggers in a month's time. It took about 6 months to really catch all of them (with the exception of anything related to outdoor weather/seasonal shifts... that will take one full year cycle). Strawberries were the final trigger I caught and wow was it a severe one! My body really hates strawberries... and they were soooo delicious...

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    You will most likely need to keep applying Soolantra on a less regular basis to control your Rosacea (if it is indeed from Demodex Mites).

I used to flare up from the sun and from a few types of food. No more after ZZ Cream cured me. I apply ZZ Cream once every 4 days now, very thinly, and only to problem areas (chin, moustache, upper cheeks, and between my eyebrows). My chin and moustache are Seborrhoeic Dermatitis areas for me, which the ZZ Cream controls.
    Hey RR!

Just curious about your thoughts on this. Why do you think people will need to continuously apply an anti-demodectic even after the infestation is gone? Is it because we are more prone to infestation? So treatment is a life long endeavor to sustain clearance?

Thanks!
    -M

Default Reaction to Soolantra

One sure sign of demodex mites is the eyelids & lashes. If the eyelids are red and there seems to be small crusty particles near the base of the eyelashes then it's a pretty good tell that demodex mites are overpopulating. I came across a medical website suggesting teatree oil wipes at night at the base of the eyelashes & on the cheeks. Apparently, demodex mites only come out at night. I find teatree oil is too drying for my skin which breaks out in a rash (same with Invermectin). Used at base of eyelashes & eyebrows at night...it's perfect. Eyelids no longer red and even eyes are less red. Skin also became less red because the mites live in the eyelashes. I include brows just in case.

I read about Invermectin on the internet so I tried it. I have also had a reaction to the product. Invermectin cream (brand name Soolantra or Rosaver) is very drying to the skin. My skin improved for a week then broke out in an unsightly rash. I stopped use until my skin cleared up and tried to hydrate my skin as much as possible to calm things down. Only using very gentle products.

I have been using Invermectin for a month....sparingly...little goes a long way. To prevent excessive drying which will cause a rash, I immediately dampen the skin with a bit of water on my hands and apply collagen gel over the damp skin followed by moisturizer. This is the only way my skin will tolerate Invermectin and the results have been reduction in redness, reduction in pustules, my cheeks are less swollen and red.

There is no cure for rosacea. Suggest avoiding red wine, and beer. Always use a sunscreen. Choose oil free makeup. NYX wonder pencil is good for covering the occasional flareup. NEVER use cortizone cream or peroxide. Rosacea breakouts do not respond to acne treatments which dry the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    Hey RR!

Just curious about your thoughts on this. Why do you think people will need to continuously apply an anti-demodectic even after the infestation is gone? Is it because we are more prone to infestation? So treatment is a life long endeavor to sustain clearance?

Thanks!
    -M
    Hey M

I believe that people suffering from Demodectic Rosacea have a sensitivity to developing these infestations/reactions to Demodex Mites, as in it's why they developed them in the first place, versus other people who luckily do not develop them.

I don't think there's anything stopping a sensitive person from developing them again. As you probably know, we all have Demodex Mites.

I suppose one of the only ways to reduce the chances would to make sure things like pillows are washed religiously. And to avoid contact with other sources of Demodex Mites. Although I recall reading that this is pretty much impossible and that they are everywhere.

I would be interested to know if people have successfully eliminated Demodex problems from a course of Soolantra or ZZ Cream, but I suspect that these cases are in the minority.

Why people are sensitive, I don't know. Perhaps skin type, perhaps environments, perhaps genetics, perhaps lowered immune systems...

What are your thoughts?
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Hey M

I believe that people suffering from Demodectic Rosacea have a sensitivity to developing these infestations/reactions to Demodex Mites, as in it's why they developed them in the first place, versus other people who luckily do not develop them.

I don't think there's anything stopping a sensitive person from developing them again. As you probably know, we all have Demodex Mites.

I suppose one of the only ways to reduce the chances would to make sure things like pillows are washed religiously. And to avoid contact with other sources of Demodex Mites. Although I recall reading that this is pretty much impossible and that they are everywhere.

I would be interested to know if people have successfully eliminated Demodex problems from a course of Soolantra or ZZ Cream, but I suspect that these cases are in the minority.

Why people are sensitive, I don't know. Perhaps skin type, perhaps environments, perhaps genetics, perhaps lowered immune systems...

What are your thoughts?
    Hello people!

Well, after one week of no-treatment at all my face looks like on it regular basis: red

04_09.jpg

This morning was quite better, but I've been cleaning my house all day and changing sheets... so maybe the redness is the summon of these things, it is not gonna be a great surprise being triggered by dust and movement, meh. (JennAdeleK this looks like a great day to start my tracker! hahah Sooo surprised by the strawberries thing, I need to be vigilant!)

About the differences btw my cheeks, I truly canít think about any different situation... it is true that I usually sleep on the "bad" cheek, but it is not that often. I tested the cream over my wrist and nothing happened, so I think we can assume I am not allergic at all... I didnít use Soolantra all over my face, only on the bad cheek as my doctor told me so, because she didnít saw anything wrong in the rest of my face

I donít know what to think about my caseÖ since the beginning I had bumps, thatís why I firstly thought it was a regular acne:

(In the beginning it was something like this)
    ANTES.jpg
    (I've been without piercings for a year now and nothing changed, some doctors tried to blame a reaction to the septum, but I had the redness before the septum)

I did only treated my right side all this time cause I didnít had anything on the other side, also for example when I used to go to the gym, only my bad cheek came red, the rest of my face has always been perfect (?) The same applied for trigger situations like spicy food, sun, party...etc

So, Iím not sure if it was a dermatitis or maybe it has been a rosacea since the beginning, but I guess we will discover it when I start Soolantra tomorrow.

QTee , good to know about your case! Curiously, I had a ďchalazionĒ on my right eye in 2011, the same year all this started. No doctor could really cure me and when they were about to suggest surgery, It cured by itself! (Unfortunately my rosacea didnít went away tooÖ)

Another detail: when I was using corticoids these were actually working, I mean my skin didnít become dry at all and by using it one single night my skin was perfect againÖ

Question: Iíve take on the habit of change pillow/sheets every Sunday, is this enough?

My thoughts about demodex: I donít know about others, but Iím pretty sure my cause was my immune systemÖ that year I was really depressed, I didnít eat well, I gained like 10 kilos (22 pounds) and I had a lot of emotional problems. The thing is that the following year I was a new person; I went to the gym everyday, I ate really healthy, I lost all the overweight and my mind was in peace but my skin problems where still there... and still here they are.
    Last edited by AlbaVF; 3rd September 2017 at 11:10 PM.

Hey M

What are your thoughts?
    RR, yep yep....I have an inkling, as do you, that this might be something that I have to manage chronically. It's just so strange, that all of the sudden last year, I started breaking out in pustules...out of the blue. I am so freaking healthy. Like seriously, to the extreme. I rarely ever get sick...maybe like once every two years or so. So, why now?

A couple of my theories, at least for me, is that I have always been a flusher---so maybe the warmer temperature of my cheeks made demodex more hospitable? Also, I think I mentioned before, I've always been into "natural" skincare...I never used commercial cleansers or lotions on my skin, and instead used different oils for moisturizing especially (jojoba, coconut, etc.). My inclination is that those oils were yummy food for those little f**ckers. I also had a couple of dogs sleeping in my bed (dog sitting for a neighbor) last year...maybe that increased my exposure? I've become so paranoid, I don't even pet dogs anymore...haha!

Anyway, I'm know I'm only a little over two weeks into using Soolantra, but I really think I'm on the right treatment path, at least for this part of my rosacea (THANKS TO YOU!!!! Seriously. If you hadn't chimed in my post way in June, it would have not even dawned on me since I didn't have "typical" symptoms).

I urge everyone to give an anti-demodectic a good try at least to rule out demodex infestation....cross it off the list of possiblities!

Also, it is my humble opinion, that if you have a "bad" reaction to Soolantra, especially an increase in pustules, then I believe that it's good chance that you are having a die-off reaction. If it were me, I'd sit tight and see if things improved and commit to the full 3 months of application. If your rosacea is solely type 2 (related to demodex), then you have a good chance at knocking it into remission. Just my two cents!

-M
    Last edited by MissM; 4th September 2017 at 12:14 AM.

Hello people!

Well, after one week of no-treatment at all my face looks like on it regular basis: red

04_09.jpg

This morning was quite better, but I've been cleaning my house all day and changing sheets... so maybe the redness is the summon of these things, it is not gonna be a great surprise being triggered by dust and movement, meh. (JennAdeleK this looks like a great day to start my tracker! hahah Sooo surprised by the strawberries thing, I need to be vigilant!)

About the differences btw my cheeks, I truly canít think about any different situation... it is true that I usually sleep on the "bad" cheek, but it is not that often. I tested the cream over my wrist and nothing happened, so I think we can assume I am not allergic at all... I didnít use Soolantra all over my face, only on the bad cheek as my doctor told me so, because she didnít saw anything wrong in the rest of my face

I donít know what to think about my caseÖ since the beginning I had bumps, thatís why I firstly thought it was a regular acne:

ANTES.jpg
    (I've been without piercings for a year now and nothing changed, some doctors tried to blame a reaction to the septum, but I had the redness before the septum)

I did only treated my right side all this time cause I didnít had anything on the other side, also for example when I used to go to the gym, only my bad cheek came red, the rest of my face has always been perfect (?) The same applied for trigger situations like spicy food, sun, party...etc

So, Iím not sure if it was a dermatitis or maybe it has been a rosacea since the beginning, but I guess we will discover it when I start Soolantra tomorrow.

QTee , good to know about your case! Curiously, I had a ďchalazionĒ on my right eye in 2011, the same year all this started. No doctor could really cure me and when they were about to suggest surgery, It cured by itself! (Unfortunately my rosacea didnít went away tooÖ)

Another detail: when I was using corticoids these were actually working, I mean my skin didnít become dry at all and by using it one single night my skin was perfect againÖ

Question: Iíve take on the habit of change pillow/sheets every Sunday, is this enough?

My thoughts about demodex: I donít know about others, but Iím pretty sure my cause was my immune systemÖ that year I was really depressed, I didnít eat well, I gained like 10 kilos (22 pounds) and I had a lot of emotional problems. The thing is that the following year I was a new person; I went to the gym everyday, I ate really healthy, I lost all the overweight and my mind was in peace but my skin problems where still there... and still here they are.
    Yes, this is a terrific time to start with the trigger tracker. They are sooooo helpful! I think you will really be impressed with the thoroughness and with the knowledge it imparts.

As for pillow cases, I change mine 2-3 times a week... just to be safe. ;)

Silk pillow case are good! Not harsh on skin at all. All other pillows aggravate my skin as I hug them and squish my face in the when I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondS View Post
    Silk pillow case are good! Not harsh on skin at all. All other pillows aggravate my skin as I hug them and squish my face in the when I sleep.
    I agree, Raymond! I love my silk pillow case. For women, it's also good on your hair.

I've trained myself to sleep on my back....it was really hard at first, but it has been helpful to keep my cheeks cooler.

Default Have your doctor ruled out impetigo

Hello people!

04_09.jpg

ANTES.jpg

Just looking at the recent photos and wondered if your doctor had ruled out impetigo, a skin infection caused by staphloccoccus and/or streptococcus bacteria. Impetigo is very contagious and easy to pick up from something as simple as using a public drinking fountain. The photo of the breakout looks like a skin infection. Are you seeing a skin specialist or a general practioner? Doesn't hurt to ask and rule out that possibility.

If it does turn out to be a skin infection, a short course of oral antibiotics might just do the trick. Crossing my fingers.