Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad reaction to Soolantra?

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Wonderful post
    Awwww... thanks, Weezer.

I know I can't really weigh in regarding the Soolantra, due to my inexperience with it. But, rosacea is just such a a hard condition to deal with... I sometimes feel overwhelmed by what people experience with it.

Wishing everyone the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    I am assuming that when your doctor prescribed 'corticoids' for your atopic dermatitis that you mean corticoid steroids. You should be aware that taking steroids for long term may result in Facial corticosteroid addictive dermatitis (FCAD) or steroid rosacea.

There are reports that steroids used long term may result in demodectic rosacea:

"...the highest density of mites was found on the cheeks. A statistically significant increase in mites was found in all subgroups of rosacea, being most marked in those with steroid-induced rosacea...CONCLUSION: Increased mites may play a part in the pathogenesis of rosacea by provoking inflammatory or allergic reactions, by mechanical blockage of follicles, or by acting as vectors for microorganisms." [see end note 10 in this article]

"...Demodex folliculorum were also more frequently detected in patients who had previously been treated with topical corticosteroids (even in 91.9%), what was often followed by epitheloid granulomas..." [see end note 11 in this article]

If you read the long Soolantra thread in RF you will find that many report it gets worse before it gets better and Soolantra takes three to four months to see improvement. However, if you are suffering from an allergic reaction to Soolantra you obviously need to stop. Basically you have to be the judge of this and your physician should examine your reaction and determine if you should stop the Soolantra or not. Obviously, your physician is simply be cautious asking you to stop. One solution is to stop for a few days and let your skin heal and then apply a little Soolantra again to see if you have another bad reaction which may confirm you are reacting negatively to this treatment.

Taking steroids for many years makes skin extremely sensitive. Sometimes it is best to let your skin heal on its own for a few days.

Another option is to try the ZZ cream. Many have reported it works for them. You should always try a little dab in just one small area of your skin to see if you are allergic or react negatively to any new treatment, especially since your skin is so sensitive.
    Excellent advice! I agree with Brady... always patch test anything new on just a small portion of your skin. My derm recommends patch testing for at least 2 weeks before applying anything new to my whole face. I usually test on my lower right jawbone area... that way if I react, I can cover that up by wearing my hair down.

-
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by JennAdeleK View Post
    Awwww... thanks, Weezer.

I know I can't really weigh in regarding the Soolantra, due to my inexperience with it. But, rosacea is just such a a hard condition to deal with... I sometimes feel overwhelmed by what people experience with it.

Wishing everyone the very best!
    Thank you so much guys! Reading this really helped me struggling today at work (:

Since I've discovered my diagnosis I've been reading a lot about other people's experiences and I think it's quite encouraging, so glad I found this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by JennAdeleK View Post
    Excellent advice! I agree with Brady... always patch test anything new on just a small portion of your skin. My derm recommends patch testing for at least 2 weeks before applying anything new to my whole face. I usually test on my lower right jawbone area... that way if I react, I can cover that up by wearing my hair down.
    Hi everybody!

Well, my doctor saw me yesterday and came to the same conclusion as you, Brady Barrows. She wants me to rest my skin for this week and next monday I will try again Soolantra, but just a very little amount to see the reaction. (I'm already scared and I still got a week left jajaja)

I tested the cream over my wrist and nothing happened, so I think we can assume I am not allergic at all...

Just to get this straight, what's the difference btw the ZZ cream and the XFML cream? I though they were complementary like one is for the night to kill demodex and the other was for the mornings to calm the skin, but now I see that both of them are anti-demox. (Soooorry for all these questions!)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Firstly, doctors and dermatologists usually know nothing about Rosacea or Demodectic Rosacea, meaning the best information you will get is online from other sufferers. Please do not stop using Soolantra. Your doctor is incorrect to advise you to stop using it. Please keep using it at night. This way we can establish whether you are experiencing a Demodex Mite die-off, or a reaction to Soolantra. Like I've already said, a die-off is a very good thing; it means the product is working correctly. A die-off only lasts for a short while, as you can see in my thread, mine lasted about 3 days.

During my years of struggling with Demodectic Rosacea, and not knowing exactly what it was that I had until the very end, I read through a lot of information. There are some skin issues that are caused by poor gut health, a common one is Seborrhoeic Dermatitis on the face. Gut health and immune system strength are directly related. I thought that eating cannabis had had an effect on my gut health which might have led to my skin condition. Then I realised that I had Demodectic Rosacea which is related to a Demodex Mite infestation, and not necessarily gut health. So no, I don't think using cannabis had any effect.
    Regarding my diet I always try to be healthy, you know, I dont eat lot of carbs, I never eat fries or junk food, etc... but it is true that I suffer from veeery loooong digestions, like I need to eat really little to avoid heartburn... so maybe this might be related in my case.

On the other hand, it is true that smoking weed (nothing of tobacco) has always calm my stomach, so maybe I will give it go in a pair of weeks.

I also will start again with Soolantra next Monday (I think), or maybe if I recover quickly from the "bad reaction" this Friday, so I will suffer the worst days at home jajaja

Thank you so much for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by AlbaVF View Post
    Regarding my diet I always try to be healthy, you know, I dont eat lot of carbs, I never eat fries or junk food, etc... but it is true that I suffer from veeery loooong digestions, like I need to eat really little to avoid heartburn... so maybe this might be related in my case.

On the other hand, it is true that smoking weed (nothing of tobacco) has always calm my stomach, so maybe I will give it go in a pair of weeks.

I also will start again with Soolantra next Monday (I think), or maybe if I recover quickly from the "bad reaction" this Friday, so I will suffer the worst days at home jajaja

Thank you so much for your help!
    One other thing that crossed my mind that might be helpful. Check out rosacea.org and request a one of their trigger trackers. It's sort of a daily diary broken down into categories that really does a good job of tracking environmental and dietary triggers properly. I learned so much from completing one.

Hi everybody!

Well, my doctor saw me yesterday and came to the same conclusion as you, Brady Barrows. She wants me to rest my skin for this week and next monday I will try again Soolantra, but just a very little amount to see the reaction. (I'm already scared and I still got a week left jajaja)

I tested the cream over my wrist and nothing happened, so I think we can assume I am not allergic at all...

Just to get this straight, what's the difference btw the ZZ cream and the XFML cream? I though they were complementary like one is for the night to kill demodex and the other was for the mornings to calm the skin, but now I see that both of them are anti-demox. (Soooorry for all these questions!)
    There are often two die-offs with Demodectic Rosacea, firstly the adults dying, and then the newly hatched eggs/baby mites dying some time later.

If your problem is indeed due to Demodex Mites, then stopping Soolantra may mean that the newly hatched baby mites are given time to reproduce and lay more eggs, meaning a potential third die-off. If you kept using Soolantra (and if your problem is due to Demodex Mites), then the newly hatched babies will be controlled/killed immediately, instead of there being time for them to potentially start affecting your skin, and then be killed when you start using Soolantra again.

Personally I disagree with your doctor's advice, but I appreciate that you are going with what they have advised you. Your pustules look exactly like mine during my die-off, which is why I have a strong belief that your problem is due to Demodex Mites, and not a reaction.

The first die-off is what stops a lot of people from continuing Soolantra/ZZ Cream. They freak out and assume they are having an allergic reaction, meanwhile it is simply the die-off.

What interests me is that your condition seems to mainly be on the one side of your face.

Keep us posted.

P.S. ZZ Cream's main ingredients for killing Demodex Mites are Sublimed Sulphur and Zinc Oxide. Soolantra's is Ivermectin, which is a poison used by vets to control parasites on animals.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    There are often two die-offs with Demodectic Rosacea, firstly the adults dying, and then the newly hatched eggs/baby mites dying some time later.

If your problem is indeed due to Demodex Mites, then stopping Soolantra may mean that the newly hatched baby mites are given time to reproduce and lay more eggs, meaning a potential third die-off. If you kept using Soolantra (and if your problem is due to Demodex Mites), then the newly hatched babies will be controlled/killed immediately, instead of there being time for them to potentially start affecting your skin, and then be killed when you start using Soolantra again.

Personally I disagree with your doctor's advice, but I appreciate that you are going with what they have advised you. Your pustules look exactly like mine during my die-off, which is why I have a strong belief that your problem is due to Demodex Mites, and not a reaction.

The first die-off is what stops a lot of people from continuing Soolantra/ZZ Cream. They freak out and assume they are having an allergic reaction, meanwhile it is simply the die-off.

What interests me is that your condition seems to mainly be on the one side of your face.

Keep us posted.

P.S. ZZ Cream's main ingredients for killing Demodex Mites are Sublimed Sulphur and Zinc Oxide. Soolantra's is Ivermectin, which is a poison used by vets to control parasites on animals.
    Hey there!

(face today)
    recuperación.jpg

My face is recovering well, I'm experiencing some annoying itching but I'm not sure if it is caused by the former rosacea or another thing (I guess it is demodex, as RedRecluse well said). The "good" thing is that I will re-start the Soolantra treatment soon, at least as soon as my cheek is less red (?)

My doctor was also surprised by my spread of the rosácea, I've never had problems in my face but on that cheek, not even acne in my early youth... (well I'm gonna turn 26 in October so I'm feeling a bit old lately)

(my face the day I went to the doctor, as usual only my right cheek on fire)
    dia clinica.jpg

I've been thinking about this strange spread and I have a theory; MAYYYYBE I fristly suffered from dermatitis, but because of corticoids it developed in a rosacea, and now I'm concern cause maybe even if cure/control rosacea the dermatitis problem will be underneath, have this happen to somebody before?

Another question; after the treatment with Soolantra, do you ever suffer from redness again, like it is all gone for good? or you still need to watch all the triggers and hide from the sun? Just to adjust my expectations.

I downloaded the trigger trackers from rosacea.org, thanks JennAdeleK! I'm creating a DDBB in order to later being able to work with the data and look for patterns and triggers
    Last edited by AlbaVF; 31st August 2017 at 09:12 PM.

Hey there!

(face today)
    recuperación.jpg

My face is recovering well, I'm experiencing some annoying itching but I'm not sure if it is caused by the former rosacea or another thing (I guess it is demodex, as RedRecluse well said). The "good" thing is that I will re-start the Soolantra treatment soon, at least as soon as my cheek is less red (?)

My doctor was also surprised by my spread of the rosácea, I've never had problems in my face but on that cheek, not even acne in my early youth... (well I'm gonna turn 26 in October so I'm feeling a bit old lately)

(my face the day I went to the doctor, as usual only my right cheek on fire)
    dia clinica.jpg

I've been thinking about this strange spread and I have a theory; MAYYYYBE I fristly suffered from dermatitis, but because of corticoids it developed in a rosacea, and now I'm concern cause maybe even if cure/control rosacea the dermatitis problem will be underneath, have this happen to somebody before?

Another question; after the treatment with Soolantra, do you ever suffer from redness again, like it is all gone for good? or you still need to watch all the triggers and hide from the sun? Just to adjust my expectations.

I downloaded the trigger trackers from rosacea.org, thanks JennAdeleK! I'm creating a DDBB in order to later being able to work with the data and look for patterns and triggers
    You will most likely need to keep applying Soolantra on a less regular basis to control your Rosacea (if it is indeed from Demodex Mites).

I used to flare up from the sun and from a few types of food. No more after ZZ Cream cured me. I apply ZZ Cream once every 4 days now, very thinly, and only to problem areas (chin, moustache, upper cheeks, and between my eyebrows). My chin and moustache are Seborrhoeic Dermatitis areas for me, which the ZZ Cream controls.

Do you sleep on your right side? Does your right side see more sun than your left? Is there anything you do differently to your right side, or does your right side receive anything differently than your left side? Do you suspect you developed Dermatitis which was only on your right side, so you only treated your right side?

Lastly, if my theory that you have Demodectic Rosacea is incorrect, and Soolantra has indeed caused a 'skin reaction' for you, then I wonder why the left side not reacted? Your left side looks really good.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!