Thread: What, exactly, does a "papule" look like?

Default What, exactly, does a "papule" look like?

Hello all,

I suffer from mostly subtype one rosacea, though I do get pustles from time to time that I use Soolantra to keep in check.

I noticed lately that I have these red bumps (localized to the side of my face only, near my temples) that are much more difficult to get rid of. Not a lot seems to help them. I'm wondering if these might be papules. I only have a small number of them (only 2 or 3 on each side of my face that can easily be concealed) but they're quite frustrating.

I am going to a derm tomorrow just to make sure it's nothing more serious, like basal cell. I don't think so, but better safe than sorry, I always say.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what, exactly, classifies as a "papule?" Thank you in advance.

-Katie

Quote Originally Posted by kfranke View Post
    Hello all,

I suffer from mostly subtype one rosacea, though I do get pustles from time to time that I use Soolantra to keep in check.

I noticed lately that I have these red bumps (localized to the side of my face only, near my temples) that are much more difficult to get rid of. Not a lot seems to help them. I'm wondering if these might be papules. I only have a small number of them (only 2 or 3 on each side of my face that can easily be concealed) but they're quite frustrating.

I am going to a derm tomorrow just to make sure it's nothing more serious, like basal cell. I don't think so, but better safe than sorry, I always say.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what, exactly, classifies as a "papule?" Thank you in advance.

-Katie

Hey Katie,

Most of my lesions are pustules, but I sometimes get a cluster of red bumps (also near my temple) and I have considered them small papules because the do not have a pus filled center. The are just small, red bumps and mine usually go away in a few days. If they are papules, it seems like the Soolantra would help with that in time (on the premise that p&ps are caused by demodex)? Sorry to not give you a technical definition. I've often had the same question myself honestly. Skin eruptions really suck. :/

Good luck with your derm tomorrow!
    M.

Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi