Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hormones + flushing.

Default hormones + flushing.

Hi everyone,

I'm 31/f. Botox has helped so much to bring the flushing down for me, but now I've noticed a real correlation between flushing intensity and my menstrual cycle. (Before botox, flushing was just bad all the time.)

Flushing is minimal during my period and the week after. It is much more problematic for the next 2 weeks, and the most problematic around ovulation.

I was wondering if anyone else with this has had their hormones tested (I'm interested in testing mine every other day for a month if I can), and what they looked like, or if anyone has thoughts/solutions. I've been on a birth control pill/patch before, and I think it made my flushing worse, perhaps the estrogen/progesterone were too high for me...

Thanks!

Lizzy

I am 28 and mine flares up like clockwork ten days before my period😓. I've had my hormones tested and everything came back "normal" I can't go on the pill because it dries out my eyes so bad. I also don't know what to do about this!

Quote Originally Posted by Faith1989 View Post
    I am 28 and mine flares up like clockwork ten days before my period😓. I've had my hormones tested and everything came back "normal" I can't go on the pill because it dries out my eyes so bad. I also don't know what to do about this!
    Thanks for the reply, Faith! Sorry you have this issue as well.

My rheum several months ago suggested I try DIM detox supplement (eg, by Pure Encapsulations). It gave me headaches/low energy (maybe detoxing? not sure) and didn't pursue it for more than a couple of days, though I appreciate how he was willing to "go off the beaten path", so to speak.

My GP just today suggested I try a VERY low estrogen/progesterone combo, something given usually for post-menopausal women, to keep hormones at a very constant low level. It is enough to suppress ovulation, but not approved for contraception since it is so low dose. I'm going to think about this. Not sure if that would have the same dry eye side effects.

Just thought I'd pass those thoughts along ...

Best,

Lizzy

I've tried to take "natural" supplements to balance hormones but they just ended up making things worse. I also eat a paleo diet but that hasn't seemed to work 100 percent. What are your symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm 31/f. Botox has helped so much to bring the flushing down for me, but now I've noticed a real correlation between flushing intensity and my menstrual cycle. (Before botox, flushing was just bad all the time.)

Flushing is minimal during my period and the week after. It is much more problematic for the next 2 weeks, and the most problematic around ovulation.

I was wondering if anyone else with this has had their hormones tested (I'm interested in testing mine every other day for a month if I can), and what they looked like, or if anyone has thoughts/solutions. I've been on a birth control pill/patch before, and I think it made my flushing worse, perhaps the estrogen/progesterone were too high for me...

Thanks!

Lizzy

Hi Lizzy!

Were you flushing when you were on the pill as well? From what I remember (from another post), you mentioned that your hardcore flushing came on after stopping the pill? Were you flushing on the pill and then came off and it got worse? I'm on the pill right now (I've been on for many, many years without an issue, until this last year) and am considering going off...but I'm scared sh**less that it will make my situation worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MissM View Post
    Hi Lizzy!

Were you flushing when you were on the pill as well? From what I remember (from another post), you mentioned that your hardcore flushing came on after stopping the pill? Were you flushing on the pill and then came off and it got worse? I'm on the pill right now (I've been on for many, many years without an issue, until this last year) and am considering going off...but I'm scared sh**less that it will make my situation worse.
    Hi MissM,

Yes you are right, my hardcore evening flushing started after going off the pill (after being on for sooooo many years). I'm not *totally* sure they were related, but going off the pill was the only thing I could think off that might have triggered it. After 8 or so months of being off hormones, I thought I had nothing to lose by restarting the pill. So I restarted the same one (Nortrel 0.5/35, monophasic), and didn't notice any change really. I was on it for about 4 months, taking the placebos as well. I noticed that the flushing got INSANE though whenever I took the placebos (also I had migraine issues). I sensed that my body didn't like the drop of estrogen or something ...

So I tried taking Nortrel 0.5/35 but skipping the placebos. I think I noticed it getting worse over time actually skipping the placebos, I had this sensation like everything was building up.

Randomly, I noticed that when I waited ~27 hours after taking the previous pill, my evening flushing would be quite worse (when compared to 24 hours). Conversely, I noticed that when I waited ~21 hours after taking the previous pill, my flushing would be minimal.

So with that observation, I tried the Xulane patch (similar hormone levels when compared to Nortrel), because I thought maaaaybe my body didn't like the half life or something of the daily pill (something like that at least!) and ... well things were the same.

That was probably more detailed than necessary, sorry!

I totally get how nerve-racking it is to go off of hormones after so many years, so I do feel for you! Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

Lizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Faith1989 View Post
    I've tried to take "natural" supplements to balance hormones but they just ended up making things worse. I also eat a paleo diet but that hasn't seemed to work 100 percent. What are your symptoms?
    Hi Faith,

My symptoms are sub 1 rosacea, with hardcore evening flushing. No bumps/pustules, etc. Too bad about the "natural" supps :/

Lizzy

Hi MissM,

Yes you are right, my hardcore evening flushing started after going off the pill (after being on for sooooo many years). I'm not *totally* sure they were related, but going off the pill was the only thing I could think off that might have triggered it. After 8 or so months of being off hormones, I thought I had nothing to lose by restarting the pill. So I restarted the same one (Nortrel 0.5/35, monophasic), and didn't notice any change really. I was on it for about 4 months, taking the placebos as well. I noticed that the flushing got INSANE though whenever I took the placebos (also I had migraine issues). I sensed that my body didn't like the drop of estrogen or something ...

So I tried taking Nortrel 0.5/35 but skipping the placebos. I think I noticed it getting worse over time actually skipping the placebos, I had this sensation like everything was building up.

Randomly, I noticed that when I waited ~27 hours after taking the previous pill, my evening flushing would be quite worse (when compared to 24 hours). Conversely, I noticed that when I waited ~21 hours after taking the previous pill, my flushing would be minimal.

So with that observation, I tried the Xulane patch (similar hormone levels when compared to Nortrel), because I thought maaaaybe my body didn't like the half life or something of the daily pill (something like that at least!) and ... well things were the same.

That was probably more detailed than necessary, sorry!

I totally get how nerve-racking it is to go off of hormones after so many years, so I do feel for you! Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

Lizzy
    Thank you so much for the reply! Yeah, everything is a crap shoot with this disease. It's so hard to know what to do. Sigh. I will definitely keep you posted and please do the same! If you do decide the lower dose pill, I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it helps!

Just fyi to anyone reading this thread, i didn't know that there was apparently a skin disorder describing oversensitivity to progesterone called autoimmune progesterone dermatitis... It looks like the symptoms are more like hives, folliculitis, angioedema (not rosacea) but I wonder if rosacea could be included as well. Symptoms are cyclic and occur when progesterone is highest (around ovulation, and also around day 21).

Note progesterone is what naturally makes us hotter around ovulation...

This is the first thing that's really resonated with me since my flushing hell started (interestingly, right after I went off birth control) ... I guess a theory is that birth control usage can sensitize a person to her endogenous progesterone. But birth control pills containing progesterone don't treat it (I couldn't reverse anything when I tried resuming them). Also ppl with this can have relief during pregnancy, where a woman is desensitized from her very high progesterone levels ... (no rosacea during pregnancy is common i've gathered from this forum).

Anyway!

I actually just got an rx of Estrogel from my doctor who I think just wanted me to get out of her office as fast as possible :p (I'm 31). At the time I told her that maybe my flushing was due to big fluctuations of estrogen (more estrogen during days 12-14 , and also at day 21, may mean more room for fluctuation??) but LOL I don't know what I'm doing (in my defense, neither do most doctors :p )

http://natural-fertility-info.com/au...ermatitis.html

//Lizzy

Just fyi to anyone reading this thread, i didn't know that there was apparently a skin disorder describing oversensitivity to progesterone called autoimmune progesterone dermatitis... It looks like the symptoms are more like hives, folliculitis, angioedema (not rosacea) but I wonder if rosacea could be included as well. Symptoms are cyclic and occur when progesterone is highest (around ovulation, and also around day 21).

Note progesterone is what naturally makes us hotter around ovulation...

This is the first thing that's really resonated with me since my flushing hell started (interestingly, right after I went off birth control) ... I guess a theory is that birth control usage can sensitize a person to her endogenous progesterone. But birth control pills containing progesterone don't treat it (I couldn't reverse anything when I tried resuming them). Also ppl with this can have relief during pregnancy, where a woman is desensitized from her very high progesterone levels ... (no rosacea during pregnancy is common i've gathered from this forum).

Anyway!

I actually just got an rx of Estrogel from my doctor who I think just wanted me to get out of her office as fast as possible :p (I'm 31). At the time I told her that maybe my flushing was due to big fluctuations of estrogen (more estrogen during days 12-14 , and also at day 21, may mean more room for fluctuation??) but LOL I don't know what I'm doing (in my defense, neither do most doctors :p )

http://natural-fertility-info.com/au...ermatitis.html

//Lizzy
    Hi Lizzy!

Super interesting. Are you thinking that the Estrogel will suppress your progesterone production? Also, have you gone off the pill in the past with no problems? Or was this your first time taking and then coming off the pill?

Man, I hope this works for you!