Thread: Doxycycline high dose

Default Doxycycline high dose

I have been on doxycycline 100 mg once daily since January. My p&P's have not really improved and I am flushing like crazy. My derm just recommended upping my dose to 100mg twice daily and adding soolantra. I have tried metrocream and finacea with no success. Has anyone had good luck with upping their dosage of the doxy and it providing relief? I worry about taking the high dose and it causing issues when I try to come off this high dose (two months at least the derm said). I have tried minocycline and it seemed it caused an almost immediate flush and itch, which has kind of lingered the last few days. I took it the one day and went back on the doxy next day per derm recommendation.
    Last edited by hls1209; 2nd July 2017 at 09:08 PM.

I'm basically cured on 200mg per day. I have sub type 1&4. The problem is I cannot stay on that dose. I want to get pregnant in a year or two and am very scared to come off for nine months. Right now I take 100 mg 2-3 times per week. Maybe it will get control of it then you can kind of alter the doseage? Starting Soolantra may be a good idea too.

Good luck!

Thank you, I am going to try it as I am so discouraged and getting depressed dealing with this all the time. I may wait a bit to start the soolantra to see what the doxy will do. Do you take a probiotic with it since you have been on long term?

I appreciate your reply, good luck to you also!

Yeah I take high doses of probiotics and anti fungals just in case of Candida.

Hi Faith,

it is amazing that you feel cured by 200mg doxy. Congratulations!!!

You mentioned that you have subtype 1&4. How much reduction in your subtype 1 (redness) from doxy have you seen so far? What kind symptoms did you have for subtype 1 (diffused background redness; visible distinguishable telangiectasia; flushing)?

I am very curious to know more because it is so rare that anyone with subtype 1 says doxy helps (let alone feel cured) the conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by Faith1989 View Post
    I'm basically cured on 200mg per day. I have sub type 1&4. The problem is I cannot stay on that dose. I want to get pregnant in a year or two and am very scared to come off for nine months. Right now I take 100 mg 2-3 times per week. Maybe it will get control of it then you can kind of alter the doseage? Starting Soolantra may be a good idea too.

Good luck!