Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blotchy facial KP ruined my life

Default Blotchy facial KP ruined my life

Glad to find this forum, hopefully it is supportive and worthwhile. I am 40 (almost 41) and have had Keratosis Pilaris since probably 11 years old or so. I don't really mind it much (even the bumps on my legs and arms don't bother me that much) except for the right side of my face. The left side of my face has a slight red tint but it is uniform and not blotchy. The right side however is very blotchy and red and (of course) fluctuates in intensity depending on the temperature, my mood, etc. I feel as if the blotchy right side of my face has really ruined my life. It has prevented me from being very confident with women and other things. I always hate when I have fun through physical exertion and then look in a mirror and see how horribly red and blotchy my face is. It completely ruins my mood and makes me want to run away to some cool, dark hole and hide. Many years ago I started using dermacolor makeup to at least tone it down. I don't put on a lot and the makeup doesn't make it disappear but it does tone it down significantly. Still, I'm a pretty masculine guy and putting on makeup feels so weird. I have tried all kinds of things but nothing works to get rid of it. The last thing I did was get tons of laser treatments (a few thousand dollars worth). It didn't help at all. Over the last year I have also developed sun damage on my forehead. In short, I'm a mess and facial KP sucks. I'm middle-aged, single, never married, and no kids. The last gf I had was in 2008-2009, and I tend to drink a lot if I start. And I believe my horrible skin problem has been the root cause of all of my issues because no matter what I do, I still have that horrible, red, blotchy face. I am actually glad I never had kids because I would hate to pass this condition on to someone else. But, that's life. Anyway, I would highly recommend dermacolor for those seeking a way to at least tone it down during the day. It goes unnoticed if you keep it light. And, for the record, I have never seen anyone else with a blotchy face like mine. If anyone here has a blotchy KP face, let me know. Maybe we can bond!

Have you tried an SSRI to reduce the flushing? I and many others have found it very effective.

Go to the psychiatrist. Tell about your problem. The doctor will help you. Try ssri drugs.
    I have been in the KPRF since the age of 12-14. I UNDERSTAND YOU.

Do not give up.;)

Quote Originally Posted by poppe View Post
    Go to the psychiatrist. Tell about your problem. The doctor will help you. Try ssri drugs.
    I have been in the KPRF since the age of 12-14. I UNDERSTAND YOU.

Do not give up.;)
    I don't need drugs for blushing and psychiatrists are ineffective scammers. But I am pleased to meet you. Do you have blotchy facial KP?

I haven't posted here in quite a while but I have bad redness on both cheeks, and I am on the same path as you. Ruined my life since I was 12 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    I haven't posted here in quite a while but I have bad redness on both cheeks, and I am on the same path as you. Ruined my life since I was 12 or so.
    Is it uniform redness or blotchy? Nice to meet you.

There must be some way to improve kprf.
    I think it is some kind of allergic reaction, but we have to find what. I have both cheeks very red all the time, start when im 15 and im 25 now. I hate my skin...

There's some evidence that coconut oil treats KPRF. Look at Auburn's "sticky" at the top of this sub-forum for her treatment method.

Auburn didn't disclose in the sticky what she was actually trying to treat, but if you look back at her posts prior to the sticky, she stated she was treating KPRF. I read all her prior posts because I was stunned by the idea that coconut oil treats anything at all, and because coconut oil will make your skin much worse if you are treating for seb derm induced by an allergic reaction to malassezia. Coconut oil is like throwing gasoline on a fire for seb derm sufferers.

Accordingly, if you use coconut oil daily for two weeks, you'll discover if you're treating KPRF or seb derm, and you may find that your KPRF is diminishing. I suspect that full treatment of KPRF will take longer than 2 weeks, but you should see some improvement in 2 weeks if the concept works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    There's some evidence that coconut oil treats KPRF. Look at Auburn's "sticky" at the top of this sub-forum for her treatment method.

Auburn didn't disclose in the sticky what she was actually trying to treat, but if you look back at her posts prior to the sticky, she stated she was treating KPRF. I read all her prior posts because I was stunned by the idea that coconut oil treats anything at all, and because coconut oil will make your skin much worse if you are treating for seb derm induced by an allergic reaction to malassezia. Coconut oil is like throwing gasoline on a fire for seb derm sufferers.

Accordingly, if you use coconut oil daily for two weeks, you'll discover if you're treating KPRF or seb derm, and you may find that your KPRF is diminishing. I suspect that full treatment of KPRF will take longer than 2 weeks, but you should see some improvement in 2 weeks if the concept works for you.
    What if you have both? Would MCT oil work better in that case?

I'm not sure I have seb derm, but my skin is definitely dry, especially around the area where my KPRF is the worst. I've had several Vbeams in that area though so that could potentially contribute to excessive dryness.

Also, in the post Auburn mentions itchy flaking and scaling which was improved by coconut oil usage. If the condition actually improved from using coconut oil, does that prove that it wasn't truly seb derm?

EDIT: I think I see thread she made that you're referring to, titled "Keratosis pilaris 99% gone". However, in that thread it appears she is talking about the small bumps associated with keratosis pilaris, not KPRF (which is the red rash on cheeks). The treatments for managing the bumps are often different from managing the rosacea-like rash of KPRF, but coconut oil could still be worth trying.
    Last edited by SRT150; 2nd January 2018 at 05:07 PM.

If you want to test for seb derm, buy a bottle of Nizoral 1% shampoo. You'd get wet in the shower, turn the tap off, and apply the shampoo for 3-4 minutes to all affected areas, then rinse off, and towel dry. If you have seb derm, you should see flaking skin in about 2 days. Nizoral probably won't provide full treatment because ketoconazole is a weak antifungal, but it's useful to provide a diagnosis. Every big-box store has some in stock.

There are so many skin conditions that are characterized by red bumps, it's easier to spend $15 for a 7 ounce bottle of Nizoral shampoo than to guess.

Everyone needs to apply an oil-based lotion after showering, once per day, in my opinion. CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion, PM, costs about $16 for 3 ounces. Here are the ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Niacinamide, Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-II, Ceramide 1, Phytosphingosine, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum.