Thread: Seb Derm or Rosacea? Need some help!

Default Seb Derm or Rosacea? Need some help!

Hi Everyone! I'm new here and trying to figure out what has been going on with my face for the past two years. I'm 26 and I have struggled with skin issues since teenage acne. I've always characterized my skin as tight and dry and I've had to live off of moisturizer since I was a teenager. If I don't put on moisturizer after washing my face it feels like it is going to rip.

About a year or so ago I started to notice that I was getting uneven skin tone which I thought was clogged pores/acne at the time. This has gradually gotten worse and my skin has become thickened and pigmented on my cheeks, my left one particularly is bad. My face gets red after washing/showers and it has periods of itching. It does not itch every day, only sometimes.

I did have a case of dandruff about a year or so ago but that went away shortly after using head and shoulders and I haven't seen dandruff since. My face itself is not flaky, but it is usually dry in the morning to where I can see dried skin. My ears also have flakes in them often. I can't tell if this is ear wax or related to my face issue.

I finally went to the derm as this gradual progression was getting out of hand and is really bothering me. The dermatologist said it was either mild rosacea, eczema, or both. She prescribed by Soolantra and Sulfacleanse, which I have been using for 3 weeks now. I have not noticed a difference and I was curious if I possibly have Seb derm.

The lighting does not show my face well, but here are a couple of photos. My left cheek in particular is worse. I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

left cheek.jpgright cheek.jpg

I also forgot to mention that a little over a year ago I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (IBD). Is Seb Derm/Rosacea considered an auto-immune disease as well? I am wondering if my IBD and skin issues are all linked to my hyper active immune system.

Update - I've been doing the honey/coconut oil for the last 5 days and my skins seems to be improving. I think getting away from commercial moisturizers has helped overall. My itch and inflammation is definitely getting better. I'll post pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by anaheimducks View Post
    Update - I've been doing the honey/coconut oil for the last 5 days and my skins seems to be improving. I think getting away from commercial moisturizers has helped overall. My itch and inflammation is definitely getting better. I'll post pics soon.
    I can't say for sure what you have going on... but I can tell you that getting away from cleansers and soaps has helped me quite a bit (note... I have mild rosacea).

I do a raw honey face wash 2x per day... and for the rest of my body, I use a honey and oil cleanse made at home. My skin is the best it has been in 4 months (since diagnosis). For me, it was a combo of proper cleansing, moisturizing with pure aloe vera gel, doing red light therapy 2x per day, and following a low histamine diet/regimen. On most days, my skin looks completely normal now. The only time I get a flare of any degree is when I'm exposed to a sudden chemical trigger in my environment or massive stress (things over which I have no control and that's just life).

Have you tried introducing red light therapy? Lots of folks report that it helps a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JennAdeleK View Post
    I can't say for sure what you have going on... but I can tell you that getting away from cleansers and soaps has helped me quite a bit (note... I have mild rosacea).

I do a raw honey face wash 2x per day... and for the rest of my body, I use a honey and oil cleanse made at home. My skin is the best it has been in 4 months (since diagnosis). For me, it was a combo of proper cleansing, moisturizing with pure aloe vera gel, doing red light therapy 2x per day, and following a low histamine diet/regimen. On most days, my skin looks completely normal now. The only time I get a flare of any degree is when I'm exposed to a sudden chemical trigger in my environment or massive stress (things over which I have no control and that's just life).

Have you tried introducing red light therapy? Lots of folks report that it helps a great deal.
    Thanks Jenn. I have not tried red light therapy, I will look into it. Do you have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by anaheimducks View Post
    Thanks Jenn. I have not tried red light therapy, I will look into it. Do you have any recommendations?
    This is the one I use...

https://www.smarterlights.com/The-Pu...p/e-lt-red.htm