Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sebodiane DS Serum and Microemulsion for Seborrheic Dermatitis - A Review

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    I would still urge you to try it. They can certainly overlap, but they can also coexist independently too (yes, I believe mine did). You have nothing to lose except 40 Euros which is probably less than the cost of an appointment with a dermatologist who knows next to nothing.

Good luck.
    That's actually the problem -- the internet is rife with products that various people have claimed to be miracle cures, and that there is "nothing to lose" by trying all of them, except that, in the end, you actually do lose a lot of money, time, energy, and hope -- cumulatively speaking -- after trying each hyped-up product after another. This is the proverbial "rabbit hole" that one can fill into, because the internet is an endless source of pure anecdote. I recognise your intentions are good, but so are all the countless others who have found something that works for them and want to spread the word.

The rest of us have to be sceptical and critical, or we risk falling into the rabbit hole, too.

I see very little that distinguishes ZZ cream from other products that have been hyped about even on this very message board -- it even reminds me of Lucky Tiger Ointment, which likewise uses sulphur and salicylic acid, and is claimed to be a panacea for various skin conditions, from rosacea to acne to seb derm. And at least Lucky Tiger Ointment openly discloses the percentages of its active ingredients, instead of clandestinely concealing them behind a "Chinese state patent". Moreover, it's a fraction of the cost of ZZ cream.

The first link doesn't work, which is probably for the best, because websites like Curezone are the very epitome of the dangerous "rabbit hole" to which I'm referring. The second link has a thread posted by a teenager who is clearly showing the obsessive-compulsive signs of body dysmorphic disorder, for whom the ZZ cream didn't convincingly work in the end. Only the third link has a success story, albeit brief, but it's on a message board moderated by the company that produces the cream in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    That's actually the problem -- the internet is rife with products that various people have claimed to be miracle cures, and that there is "nothing to lose" by trying all of them, except that, in the end, you actually do lose a lot of money, time, energy, and hope -- cumulatively speaking -- after trying each hyped-up product after another. This is the proverbial "rabbit hole" that one can fill into, because the internet is an endless source of pure anecdote. I recognise your intentions are good, but so are all the countless others who have found something that works for them and want to spread the word.

The rest of us have to be sceptical and critical, or we risk falling into the rabbit hole, too.

I see very little that distinguishes ZZ cream from other products that have been hyped about even on this very message board -- it even reminds me of Lucky Tiger Ointment, which likewise uses sulphur and salicylic acid, and is claimed to be a panacea for various skin conditions, from rosacea to acne to seb derm. And at least Lucky Tiger Ointment openly discloses the percentages of its active ingredients, instead of clandestinely concealing them behind a "Chinese state patent". Moreover, it's a fraction of the cost of ZZ cream.

The first link doesn't work, which is probably for the best, because websites like Curezone are the very epitome of the dangerous "rabbit hole" to which I'm referring. The second link has a thread posted by a teenager who is clearly showing the obsessive-compulsive signs of body dysmorphic disorder, for whom the ZZ cream didn't convincingly work in the end. Only the third link has a success story, albeit brief, but it's on a message board moderated by the company that produces the cream in the first place.
    I could also have been a complete sceptic, but I was willing to try anything to get my life back. I found out about ZZ Cream over a year before I actually tried it, because I was sceptical. It ended up being the last product I bought that cured me, after spending thousands of others. Much like life, it's important to take any opportunities we get.

It's only 40 Euros, that's about two meals at a half decent restaurant.

Suit yourself though.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    I could also have been a complete sceptic, but I was willing to try anything to get my life back. I found out about ZZ Cream over a year before I actually tried it, because I was sceptical. It ended up being the last product I bought that cured me, after spending thousands of others. Much like life, it's important to take any opportunities we get.

It's only 40 Euros, that's about two meals at a half decent restaurant.

Suit yourself though.
    Even if I were interested in a sulphur and salicylic acid product at this time, I'd more likely try the Lucky Tiger ointment mentioned above, since it has many positive testimonials, and I'd even have money leftover for one of those meals at a half-decent restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by sejon View Post
    Even if I were interested in a sulphur and salicylic acid product at this time, I'd more likely try the Lucky Tiger ointment mentioned above, since it has many positive testimonials, and I'd even have money leftover for one of those meals at a half-decent restaurant.
    I bought the Lucky Tiger Ointment quite awhile ago actually, and I had some success with it. I stopped using it as I thought it was something that was causing my SD to flair up but it was one of the other products I was using at the time. It actually smells like Vix Vaporub when you put it on your face!

I've been thinking about adding it into my regiment again but I've recently had some success taking the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser out of my regiment (less dry skin), so I think I might leave it for now!

Decent product though

Hi sejon

I just took delivery of the serum, microemulsion and the shampoo and looking to start trialling. A bit about me first as I'm a first time poster.

Historically I suffered from Psoriasis all over. I was an active member of PHO forums (psoriasis health organisation) from 2009 before it got taken down at some point around 2012-2015. By then my P was restricted to scalp and face which I later found out to be SD (through seeing a dermatologist). Since then I have kept it at bay with Protopic (itself suggested by another P forum member) and Clarzole for the scalp. If I used Protopic daily and Clarazole every other day, I'm clear but when I break this pattern, it will eventually falre up. In the past few years, the flare up on the scalp and around the nose was accompanied with flare up in the chest and ears and even around the ears and neck. This also extended to chin as I started to grow a beard and I found that this would happen when a) i went off the protopic/clarazole routine and b) didn't wash my hair or face with any products (just water). If I went back to the regular skin routine mentioned above, the chest and chin would clear up without applying anything so it's as though their regression was linked to the scalp and face.

A few months ago I was on an extended holiday and left my cream and shampoo behind. I was clear for a few weeks before the flare up. At this point I decided to look at alternative such as gut health and diet as I was still without my usual products and couldn't go through the pain of trying new products. I cut out coffee and meat (as per advise from a popular youtube personality) hoping this would have some effect. Alas it didn't and my condition was at its worst. I was back at home and now had access to my regular products but decided to persist with the diet changes to seek relief that would cure it once it for all. This lasted 3 weeks and in those 3 weeks, the whole thing was unbearable and I started remembering the embarassment of going out in public once again. This is when I came accross the PDF mentioned on here. I ordered the Sebodiane products on impulse but as I live in the middle east (i moved here to look for the sun ironically) the products were being shipped from France and so I couldnt wait another 2 weeks and caved in with my protopic and clarazole regime. The skin is clear again but now that I have the products, I would like to give it a go.

So at this point, I've once again stopped using the protopic and clarazole and washing my hair and face with products. I'm waiting for the flare up then intend to use Sebodiane and so here I am googling to try find what regime would work the best.

Sejon, how did you get on with this? I would greatly appreciate to find what you learnt from you trial that I can apply in my endeavour?

Hi bourneagain,

My experience with the Sebodiane DS range was mixed. I found that the microemulsion was helpful in clearing up any leftover flakiness in my nose creases, but didn't do anything for the dermatitis in my beard area.

Interestingly, I found that applying the serum had an immediate calming effect on redness and irritation -- it worked more rapidly than any other product I've ever tried. But it seemed like just a quick fix, because regular application of it over the course of a few weeks, as per the directions, didn't seem to actually heal the dermatitis -- it would just temporarily soothe it upon application.

Still, as far as products I've tried go, the Sebodiane DS range was better than most others -- I certainly don't want to discourage you from trying, because my beard dermatitis is especially stubborn. They might very well be helpful for your specific case. Just try them for a few weeks as per their instructions to see if they're having a positive effect. My opinion is that they're a far better alternative to Protopic, because calcineurin inhibitors and corticosteroids just suppress the immune system response rather than addressing the root causes (e.g. microfloral imbalance, defective skin barrier), and I think long-term suppression of the immune system is in the vast majority of cases not a good idea -- after all, the body has an immune system for a reason.

thanks Sejon, yes i agree with you regarding promoting the body's natural function in regards to the immune system.

So I went ahead and waited for the SD to attack (and attack it did, severe redness and almost inflamed skin around the nose) and started using the products. I applied the microemulsion twice a day after cleansing in the usual way and applied the serum at night. This has been daily. I also washed my hair with their shampoo once a day and I did this for 3 days in a row and now on alternating days.

Interestingly, in the first 3-4 days my skin's response was quite the opposite to you! The microemulsion seemed to promote flakyness rather than clearing them up. In fact, even in a worst case flare up, I don't tend to get many flakes so I was surprised to see flakes after a day or so. The serum also didn't calm or soothes, if anything both serum and microemulsion sting like hell! The shampoo however, that seemed to have a good effect by the 2nd application, so happy with that hence why alternating days now. It hasn't cleared the scalp, if someone familiar to SD were to look, they would recognise the faint discolouration of my hair line. It's enough for me to not be picking it or be conscious about it like i was prior to starting its use.

In the last two days, my skin around the nose is a lot calmer and particularly in the chest. So it seems like its taken a few days but the combination of the microemulsion and serum is starting to take effect. During the day the area is a light pinkish and if I stretch it, you'll notice the flakes. I'm having to peel off the flakes that can come off (tweezer jobby) else it's just sort of 'there' and I feel concious about it. The chest has cleared the most in comparison to the face but again, it's not clear, it seems to be almost camouflaged. Itching is just under control, not completely. It's although the skin is saying 'o go on, itch me' and I'm like 'no' and the skin responds 'ok nm'. So that's a good thing but all in all, i feels like using this is as good as using a regular skin cleanser and applying a good quality, non oily/matte moisturiser* 2-3 times throughout the day. Also during period of physical activity, the area around the nose gets bright red as if it wants to flare up - this i wouldn't get if i was on protopic.

Beard wise, mine wasn't that bad anyway so I think it's got my chin and moustache area just under control.

It's barely been a week so let's see how it fares over the next couple of weeks.

*My favourite ones (I alternate)
    L'oreal men Expert Pure & Matte Anti-Shine Gel Moisturiser
    Bulldog's original moisturiser
    Nivea sensitive
    Clinique oil control mattifying

2 week update.

The flakes are fewer around the nose folds. Still have a slight reddish tint - less noticeable but still there.
    The chest is clear, really happy there.
    It is definitely a long term use product to see it's effects rather than protopic style instant gratification.

I've reduced usage to moisturise in morning and serum at night

Hi bourneagain, I'm glad you've stuck to it and that you're starting to see positive results! I believe the 2 week mark was around the time results were evident in the studies they conducted also, and that eventually you'd only need to apply it a couple times a week for maintenance.

He
    Last edited by Mendio; 2nd April 2020 at 09:10 PM.