Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tom where can i buy those ingredients in your lotion or can i buy a bottle of lotion?

Default tom where can i buy those ingredients in your lotion or can i buy a bottle of lotion?

the mct oil/climbazole is too oily.. my face looks to oily.. it doesnt look good even if i'm only doing it at night..
    i want to try the lotion you created.. i want to know where ALL the other ingredients can be bought

Ceteareth 20 (emulsifier), Cetearyl Alcohol (thickener), Glyceryl Stearate (emulsifier), Calendula Extract in VG, Propolis, Sodium Sulfate (biofilm solvent adjunct) ,Phenoxyethanol (preservative) etc..

but if you want i can a bottle of your lotion.. i dont know if i have PM capabilities yet..

Just buy a toner and dissolve cimbazole into it, sorted.

If you're in America you can get them all from lotioncrafter http://www.lotioncrafter.com the if you're in the UK you need to shop around but this is a good place to start https://www.gracefruit.com

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Going from a simple MCT oil/climbazole solution to making a lotion through the HLB system like Tom does is an astronomical leap in complexity for a do-it-yourself task. I think you're grossly underestimating the kind of workload it entails. Tom literally spent years of research and trial-and-error in formulating his lotion.

I'd suggest trying other ideas before making such a leap. You say your problem with MCT oil is that it's too oily even for nighttime use. Then the next logical step is to make a very simple emulsion, using an emulsifier like Cromollient SCE to mix the MCT oil in distilled water, and add a preservative. It would go something like this for a 100 ml final solution:

1.) Dissolve 0.5 g of climbazole in 1.5 ml of alcohol heated to 150F.
    2.) Mix 0.5 ml of Cromollient SCE and 2 ml of MCT oil, heat to 170F for 20 minutes. Then add the climbazole/alcohol from Step 1 into the Cromollient/MCT oil.
    3.) Heat 96 ml* of distilled water to 170F for 20 minutes. Pour the climbazole/alcohol/Cromollient SCE/MCT oil mixture from Step 2 into the distilled water.
    4.) Let cool and add a preservative**, e.g. Optiphen ND, at 1 ml.

*The quantity sufficient for distilled water is calculated by subtracting all the amounts of the other ingredients, but disregarding the alcohol since it evaporates quickly.

**A preservative is an absolutely essential, non-negotiable step for any formulation that contains water. Without one, your solution will be little more than a bottle of bacterial and fungal water after just 3 or 4 days.

Now you would have something more akin to a toner. It's almost entirely water which means it'll be very runny, but depending on where you apply it you could use a cotton pad, or even an atomiser spray. Then, when you've tested this out, you could consider adding other beneficial ingredients that are water-soluble/miscible, like glycerin, niacinamide, and panthenol, because they are excellent for overall skin health.

I think it's important to take into consideration that Tom formulated his lotion to suit his particular need -- his Malassezia-induced dermatitis affected a large part of his body, so he needed a formulation that he could apply to his entire body, and he needed to reduce the climbazole he uses accordingly, down to just 0.09%, to keep within the safety guidelines set by the EU because he applies his lotion to a large surface area. For most of us, our dermatitis is affecting very specific areas, such as the scalp, face, or chest, and so we might not need a lotion designed to be applied to the entire body. There's just no way Tom could have applied an MCT oil/climbazole solution or a "toner" as outlined above to his entire body on a regular basis, and so, his massive undertaking to formulate his own body lotion was, for him, the only conceivable approach.

On that note, all the threads like this one really highlight the need to have a sticky thread for those who are just starting out with their DIY climbazole experiments, with a guide of helpful info and perhaps some very basic formulation ideas that we can all share.

Also forget to mention, the pH of such a toner would be roughly the pH of distilled water, 7.0.

The pH of healthy skin is around 4.5 - 5.5, i.e. slightly acidic, because certain microbial skin pathogens cannot survive in an acidic environment, and so any topical product you apply to the skin should ideally be within this range. Moreover, it has been demonstrated that climbazole works more effectively at a lower pH, so it might be wise to consider getting a device to measure pH and add citric acid to lower the toner to somewhere within this optimal pH range.

Just to chip in on this one - my experience of making your own lotions is that it is a real pain. Expect it not to work many times before you get it right, and even then the levels of the ingredients won't be right so you then have to tweak it until it is right. The problem is that as someone who is new to it, it is hard to know what right is and what to do when you experience a problem. There is also the issue of whether your skin will tolerate some of the ingredients you use (particularly preservatives) so you need to patch test the ingredients before you make anything otherwise you won't know which ingredient is the problem if you do get a reaction. And you should patch test for a few days not just once as reactions can develop over repeated uses.

There are some places that you can get advice from - try here http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.co.uk/ for a start but you will see it is a complex business.

thanks to all that responded..

sejon, when do i add the citric acid to lower ph and how much?

senbonzakura, what over the counter toner have you used that can emulsion with climbazole/alcohol solution.. this is what i plan on doing on my shampoo.. so maybe it will work on over the counter toner but dont know which one will emulsify.. also i wanted the toner to be mildest possible..
    how about the cera ve facial lotion?

donmattus, thanks for the lotionscrater link..

optiphen nd is out of stock at lotioncrafter.. any other alternative or other website to buy this?

Quote Originally Posted by brom View Post
    optiphen nd is out of stock at lotioncrafter.. any other alternative or other website to buy this?
    nevermind ordered one at bramberry at twice the price!

This place is usually a similar price http://www.makingcosmetics.com

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk