Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xylitol does not dissolve in mct oil with climabazole?

thanks..that at least lessen my concerns regarding resistance and making my sd worse in the future..

i have both xolegel (ketoconazole) and climbazole (which i will make).. if my malessizia became resistant to both then i'm faqed lol

i bought 99% isopropyl by swan from amazon..

last 2 questions:

1. how would i know if my dump in method to my shampoo was successful aside of course it will remove my dandruff but it can take many days.. any signs on the shampoo itself if dump in doesnt work like climbazole crystallizing?

2. do you think it's better to dissolve climbazole in isopropyl alcohol then dump it in room temperature mct oil..
    or heating mct oil is fine? this would be my main anti malessizia on my face so i want to make sure i use the most effective solution

thanks,
    Last edited by brom; 8th April 2017 at 02:57 AM.

Climbazole dissolves in alcohol at 150F. In a sealed Pyrex jar you need only about equal amounts of climbazole and alcohol, but you'll need to check this, which is easy because the mix turns clear instead of opaque after climbazole dissolves. The color is slightly yellow, but the point is that you can see through it. Then dump that mix into 170F MCT oil. This works well for me, except I add the hot MCT mix (with alcohol and climbazole) into water at 170F, to make an emulsion for a lotion or a shampoo.

I've never tried to dissolve climbazole in MCT oil as a final product, but based on forum-comments it seems that climbazole will often appear to dissolve in pure MCT oil at 99C, but with some failures developing in a week or 2, such as re-crystallization. These are presumably visible crystals in MCT oil, which should be very obvious, because MCT oil is clear, and I've seen these crystals before, when I tried other methods/ingredients for dissolving climbazole.

In a base-shampoo with the dump in method, you can't see the crystals, but if your dump-in fails you can feel a few very tiny crystals when you rub the mix between your hands. If you can feel any crystals at all, it means the mix is not stable and will not deliver a bio-active dose of climbazole onto the skin. This becomes the expensive hand wash mentioned earlier.

I forgot to add, don't use a microwave -- the results aren't repeatable or scalable. Get a candy thermometer to clip on the side of the pan, sticking into the water, which costs maybe $6. Assume that the temp of the water in the pan (outside your Pyrex container) is the same as the MCT oil container, and then heat for 20 minutes after you reach the desired temp on the thermometer. Simple.

Or you could try the microwave method once, and see for yourself that it's terrible.

Hey tom see your post a lot about using mct oil for Seb derm. There all a little to advance for me to understand but Could it be used for rosacea too?

thanks tom.. when do you need preservative?
    i was looking at that website regarding making lotion and preservative is a must..
    i wonder if a simple climbaozle/alcohol solution dumped into mct oil or shampoo would require any preservative?

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondS View Post
    Hey tom see your post a lot about using mct oil for Seb derm. There all a little to advance for me to understand but Could it be used for rosacea too?
    i dont have rosacea but i dont think it's caused by malasezzia yeast.. this whole procedure is to control malasezzia... either by antifungal, biofilm removal and not feeding yeast with improper oil..

1) You'll need to add a preservative if you make a product containing water, even a little bit of water.
    2) You don't need a preservative if you're making a product without water (anhydrous, something that's that all oil).
    3) If you're using the dump in method, the base-cosmetic already has a preservative.

A diagnosis of rosacea is not as precise as anyone would like, as rosacea has several different "types," and many different triggers. It's also possible that many people with a diagnosis of rosacea have one or more co-existing conditions, which could include seb derm induced by an allergic reaction to malassezia and/or it's metabolic by-products.

Everyone's skin needs a moisturizer, and it appears many people with rosacea prefer an occlusive like VaniCream or Vaseline or Aquaphor, but these are too heavy in my opinion, and hard to wash off, and therefore any occlusive cosmetic would benefit from being lightened by adding MCT oil -- perhaps 2% to 5%. Olive Squalane is a very good oil too.

MCT and Squalane oils cannot be metabolized by malassezia, and hence, they improve skin-barrier quality while not feeding the underlying fungal allergy.

tom,

i got my clibmbazole still waiting for the 99% alchohol i bought online..

quick question on water bath..
    do i need to wait 20 minutes even if climbazole dissolve say in 5 minutes?
    i'm asking in both alchohol or mct oil?

i will do the mct oil/climbazole tonight..

Once it dissolves, and the solution is clear instead of cloudy, you're done. This for anhydrous products, like you're making, with oil and no water. Savino and donmattus make climbazoil too, so look at their posts for more info. I suspect that climbazoil is easier to make with alcohol dissolving the climbazole first at 150F, and then adding it to oil at 170F, but I make emulsions instead of climbazoil.

Be sure you have clean new glassware, and a seal-able bottle to pour it in, appropriately sized with very little headspace (air at the top). Atmospheric air is hydrous (contains humidity), and alcohol is hydroscopic, so you want to minimize that, but when you add alcohol you're definitely adding a little water. Or you could use a preservative and not worry. Buggy cosmetics will screw up anyone's skin.

A 20-minute heat at 170F is for making emulsions with water, where you heat the oil phase and the water phase to 170F for at least 20 minutes, in order to nuke all invisible microbes that might grow in water (hydrous emulsions).

i'm a little confused. i only got a pyrex 250ml bottle.

if i want to make 100ml mct oil/alcohol/climbazole solution

i would combine 1g climbazole and 1g alchohol in my water bath, this is too small of a volume to see anything? what is the most efficient way to do this?

also how do i not contaminate my climbazole when weighing it.. if i have to return some of the climbazole back to it's original container