Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xylitol does not dissolve in mct oil with climabazole?

Default Xylitol does not dissolve in mct oil with climabazole?

I was reading the posts of Tom and he said xylitol is water based and dissolve in almost everything except 100% oil.

The lotion Tom has in his PDF is complicated for me so I just plan on using Climbazole dissolved in MCT oil and add xylitol on it.

Can I add xylitol in mct oil?

If I can't add right away, what can I do to xylitol in my mct / climbazole solution

i feel like i'm talking to myself but if tom is online hopefully he can answer..

ok so i've been reading about lotion making from and i got an idea about emulsifier to mix oil and water..

but i dont know what kind of emulsifier to use for my mtc oil/climbazole and xylitol/distilled water..

any other resources how to properly choose the types of emulsifier and also at what temperature i should be mixing them..

i only want my lotion very simple because i'm a beginner.. and i plan to use it at night only so i dont have to worry that my face looks greasy..

Hi brom, you can dissolve the xylitol in water, and heat it to 165F for 20 minutes -- this is the water phase. Then combine it with the oil phase, also heated to 165F for 20 minutes, which can consist of 2% MCT oil, and about 0.3% Cromollient SCE, which is a solubilizer/co-emulsifier (hence, SCE). The result will be very thin, like water, and will not be a very aesthetic lotion because it will run through your fingers and roll down your face when you apply it, but it will be somewhat functional if your purpose is to test 2% MCT oil and xylitol.

Finally, because it's an oil-in-water emulsion, you must add 0.5% Optiphen ND, or some other "real" preservative. You'll need dedicated glassware, like Pyrex, and not something you cook iin or drink out of. You'll need a digital scale.

If you want to use a higher percentage of MCT oil, you need to use true emulsifiers (a high number and a low number) and calculate the percentages by using the HLB system -- al-nasir has the best online HLB calculator. Swiftcraftmonkey has an extensive website on making emulsions -- she does some things differently than I do, but she knows what she does extremely well. Read this website, all of it.

You'll need to experiment. It the emulsion breaks, you have made an expensive and bad hand cream -- you sometimes don't have to throw out the failures but you can try to re-purpose them. You must be patient, expect some failures, and keep plowing forward. You can expect to spend years researching, experimenting, and figuring out what works best and what doesn't.

Alternatively, if you don't want to deal with even simple emulsification, you could just use the climbazole & MCT oil. Pure oil might not be as aesthetically acceptable as a lotion, but at least it isn't quite as runny as a formulation that is 98% water.

Xylitol might help slightly to dissolve Malassezia biofilms, but it's purely theoretical, and therefore, I think, optional.

tom/sejon,

thanks for replying. i've decided to just dump at 2% concentration the xylitol into my cera ve cleanser.
    i'll just do the mct oil and climbazole, no xylitol.

hopefully, the mc oil/climbazole is the "cure" i've been looking for..

acv is bleaching and drying my skin.. and is starting to lose its effectiveness.. i used to only apply it 2x a week..now it's almost everyday..

just additional question.. is it ok to microwave mct oil until it reaches the desired temperature then put the climbazole?
    or the water bath method is better?

thanks,

i have additional question.. i plan on dumping climbazole on my shampoo.. i

is it possible to dilute climbazole in mct oil then dump that solution to my shampoo (i use johnson baby shampoo)?
    instead of dissolving climbazole in isopropyl alchohol? i'm trying to avoid alcohol if it's possible.

both my face and hair, i use acv as my anti malessizia but now want to try climbazole.
    Last edited by brom; 7th April 2017 at 09:49 PM.

MCT oil has an HLB number of 5. You could look up all the ingredients in Johnson's Baby Shampoo, to determine which ingredients are solubilizers or emulsifiers, and then guess at the percentage of each, and then run an HLB calculator to see if you have any chance of hitting the target HLB, which is 5. This is totally a shot in the dark, that will never have an exact answer, because it's a series of estimates and guesses.

It would be easier to make a small test batch in shot glass, say 30 ml of shampoo and 1 ml of MCT oil, shake it up, and leave it over night -- if the oil floats to the top it isn't an emulsion. In my opinion there's no chance of this making an emulsion, but you'll have to try it and see.

Alcohol compared to ACV is much less harmful to skin, because alcohol evaporates much quicker than ACV and doesn't have a super low pH. Stop using ACV, please. ACV is not a useful cosmetic product.

i definitely want to stop using acv but it's the only thing that has prevented my face from looking really bad. xylogel is also effective to me but i'm scared of antifungal resistance that's why i dont use it often.

i think you post something about malassezia will most likely not build resistance to climbazole?

is alcohol/climbazole solution going to combine with johnson baby shampoo?
    if not or more likely not, what commercial shampoo do you recommend i use to combine with the alcohol/climabazole solution?
    i think their is base shampoo in UK but i prefer a local one that can easily be found in groceries in the US.

gotta do a lot of reading about hlb but i dont know if i'll be able to understand it.

The dump in method is generally done with alcohol, usually ethanol or isopropanol. Climbazole will usually re-crystalize if you don't use lab grade alcohols, which are generally stated to be 94.5%. You can find 100% non-denatured alcohols, but these of course become 94.5% on exposure to the atmosphere.

The dump in method is not guaranteed to work in every base-shampoo, but I estimate it works about 60% of the time. I had several failures and decided the dump in method was unreliable, and moved onto making products from scratch. The dump in concept is a shot in the dark, but you could try it and see what happens.

Fungal resistance was a hot question about 10 years ago -- not lately, but at least one lab managed to develop a ketoconazole-resistant colony of malassezia. There are no other reports of azole-resistant malassezia. There are better things to worry about -- like some lab trying to combine ebola and the common cold... Joke...

There is no FDA Final Monograph for climbazole, so you can't buy OTC climbazole products in the US -- there is a FDA Preliminary Monograph and it's approved in the EU, so it's a safe OTC ingredient if you follow the EU guidelines.