Thread: nobody is answering but maybe someone will. why xylitol (sugar) not feeding yeast?

Default nobody is answering but maybe someone will. why xylitol (sugar) not feeding yeast?

i've been learning a lot reading posts here... much, much better education re sd than curezone..
    one of the things i would add in my cera ve facial cleanser is xylitol.. i would also add xylitol to acv which is what i use when i have flare..
    until i get my climbazole by mail..

anyway, i'm just curious i know xylitol is not same as table sugar but it's also sweet.. wouldnt malasezzia feed on it?

I just read on Tom PDF that bacteria and yeast don't metabolize zylitol. Ok not sure how accurate is thay but I'll just take his word for it

"Xylitol has beneficial effects on both the oxidative killing of bacteria in neutrophilic leucocytes and on the survival of rats with experimental pneumococcal sepsis."

BMC Microbiol. 2008; 8: 45.
    Published online 2008 Mar 11. doi: 10.1186/1471-2180-8-45
    PMCID: PMC2294124
    Xylitol-supplemented nutrition enhances bacterial killing and prolongs survival of rats in experimental pneumococcal sepsis
    Marjo Renko, Päivi Valkonen, Terhi Tapiainen, Tero Kontiokari, Pauli Mattila, Matti Knuuttila, Martti Svanberg, Maija Leinonen, Riitta Karttunen, and Matti Uhari

"In conclusion, S. mutans biofilms grown in xylitol-supplemented medium with endogenous glucose for 24 h did not show a reduction in the bacterial viability or metabolic activities, as measured by culture growth, vitality, respiratory activity, EPS production and glucose consumption, compared to biofilms grown in glucose-containing control medium evaluated at the same growth stage. In contrast, the upregulation of glucosyltransferases suggests that the combined presence of xylitol and glucose was effective in influencing the gene expression of glucan- and biofilm-associated genes in a different way than either sucrose or pure glucose."

Int J Oral Sci. 2014 Dec; 6(4): 195–204.
    Published online 2014 Jul 25. doi: 10.1038/ijos.2014.38
    PMCID: PMC5153587
    Metabolic activity of Streptococcus mutans biofilms and gene expression during exposure to xylitol and sucrose
    Eva-Maria Decker, Christian Klein, Dimitri Schwindt, and Christiane von Ohle1

"It is true that xylitol itself does not feed candida directly like sugar does. As a result, this artificial sweetener is even promoted as a useful part of the Candida Diet. Unfortunately, the fermentation of undigested xylitol in the gut most definitely can exacerbate yeast problems. Don’t be fooled by this argument! This is exactly why consuming xylitol can make some folks so gassy and even trigger cramping and diarrhea. Gut pathogens having a heyday in your intestines give off a lot of smelly toxins!" Xylitol: Not as Sweet As It’s Cracked Up to Be, by Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist

"This study suggests that xylitol has the potential to affect the metabolism of daidzein by altering the metabolic activity of the intestinal microbiota and/or gut environment."

Int J Mol Sci. 2013 Dec; 14(12): 23993–24007.
    Published online 2013 Dec 10. doi: 10.3390/ijms141223993
    PMCID: PMC3876090
    Xylitol Affects the Intestinal Microbiota and Metabolism of Daidzein in Adult Male Mice
    Motoi Tamura, Chigusa Hoshi, and Sachiko Hori
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi