Thread: Long time lurker, first time poster

Default Long time lurker, first time poster

Hi all,

I've been coming to rosacea group for about 8 years on and off trying to get ideas on how to deal with my Subtype 1 rosacea and seb derm. I first started showing signs of rosacea when I was 18 and I'm 34 now(i have it on my cheeks,nose and eyebrows). I tried all sorts of topical's when I was first diagnosed. Nothing really helped, maybe a little relief. I dealt with the embarrassment of being in public/social isolation/friends and family not understanding, etc. Very tough and I feel for everyone on here because I know I don't have it the worst by any means.
    I started using the ZNP zinc soap about 8 years ago and had some success while also using some sort of redness relief cream that was ok(best i had found at that point). After a year or two they stopped making the ZNP bar and I was bummed. I searched online and found Dr Bailey's calming zinc bar(don't work for her or any rosacea product. the people who come here to sell products without being honest about it are monsters. monsters i say!). I found that worked really well for me and I still use it. When I started using that, I read somewhere on here about zinc sunscreen and went to walgreens and bought the store brand zinc sunscreen. This combination of the calming zinc soap and zinc sunscreen is what I've been using for the last 6 or so years and I've been happy compared to the previous 7 years before. Still have had a fair amount of red/pink cheeks and nose. I would recommend this combination to anyone with Subtype 1 and seb derm. It really did help and thats all I use. I wash my face with the zinc soap in the morning after my shower and scrape off the dead skin from the seb derm(cheeks, nose, eyebrows) with a wash cloth. Then I pat dry with a clean, dry towel and wait a minute and put on the zinc sunscreen. Simple as that.
    Recently I've started looking back at this website to try and really figure out a way to control the redness better. I've decided it's got to be my diet. My skins reaction to foods over the years is undeniable. For the past three week I've been on a low carb/keto diet. The idea to see if cutting SUGAR and carbs out of my diet would help and to lose a few pounds. So for the past three weeks I've been on the diet(almost no carbs everyday, maybe 10 per day) and I've been having GREAT SUCCESS!(Borat voice). I decided to go against convention and added a bunch of new stuff to my diet all at once(e.g. probiotics(lots of 100 billion pills, acidophilus out of bottle, plain yoghurt, sauerkraut, tonic), cod liver oil, MCT Oil(Actually BOO oil), bone broth, and just started oil of oregano a couple days ago). All seem to help, unfortunatley not sure which are really helping the most. My redness is way down and the seb derm is almost all gone.
    Also stopped smoking pot and drinking alcohol. I smoked pot almost everyday but only drank a couple times a month. But when I drank, I drank. That never helped obviously. Don't think the pot hurt my rosacea, but I was unable to control my diet because....you know. I've done well with the diet, but the first two weeks was so tough. The cravings, my gosh, the cravings were unreal. After about two weeks the bad craving stopped. Now, I still want carbs and sugar, but am not willing to kill someone for a klondike bar.
    Just was reading about oil of oregano helping some people on here and decided to up my dose for the next two or three weeks. The more I read on here the more excited/confused/motivated/confused/hopeful/confused I get about to do. That's part of the journey I guess. Wrote this quickly as I'm going to bed, so you can just deal with bad writing/grammer/spelling/etc. Feel free to ask questions and I will keep this updated(unlike some others who give great intros to their initial success but then never post again and don't answer questions and leave everyone in suspense about the cure that got away. you animals. for shame. ;) ). Thanks!
    Last edited by Don_J; 1st April 2017 at 08:12 AM.

Hey Don,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the boards.

I am jealous that as another male in my late 30's, you found something that worked for you! lol - That's great news, and wish you continued success.

I don't have seb derm, but I do have the nasty, severely sensitive, p&p ridden scale skin on my cheeks. I wake up in the morning to excessive dryness, cracks, and sometimes bleeding.

I know what you mean about being motivated then confused. I am the same way, not only with this board but whatever a doctor gives me. "Yes! Something new! This is going to do it!" *3 weeks later* "Face still on fire, great..."

I am on week two of a low carb paleo diet. I try to keep my carbs at 30g a day, but I often throw in sweet potato or wild rice (not that refined white stuff loaded with sugar I mean a proper grain rice). I'm naturally a skinny looking alien, and I am quite active in the day, so I shed calories like crazy. Not eating carbs from potatoes or grains what physically making me ill and I was dropping too much weight. Doctor usually tells me to gain, but I am more inclined to control my face.

I also started on the supplement train, but its too soon to tell whats working and what isn't.

Best of luck and continued success.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazek View Post
    Hey Don,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the boards.

I am jealous that as another male in my late 30's, you found something that worked for you! lol - That's great news, and wish you continued success.

I don't have seb derm, but I do have the nasty, severely sensitive, p&p ridden scale skin on my cheeks. I wake up in the morning to excessive dryness, cracks, and sometimes bleeding.

I know what you mean about being motivated then confused. I am the same way, not only with this board but whatever a doctor gives me. "Yes! Something new! This is going to do it!" *3 weeks later* "Face still on fire, great..."

I am on week two of a low carb paleo diet. I try to keep my carbs at 30g a day, but I often throw in sweet potato or wild rice (not that refined white stuff loaded with sugar I mean a proper grain rice). I'm naturally a skinny looking alien, and I am quite active in the day, so I shed calories like crazy. Not eating carbs from potatoes or grains what physically making me ill and I was dropping too much weight. Doctor usually tells me to gain, but I am more inclined to control my face.

I also started on the supplement train, but its too soon to tell whats working and what isn't.

Best of luck and continued success.
    Thanks Gazek!
    I was reading last night after I posted about MSM(Methylsulfonylmethane) and the success of some people on reddit's rosacea forum. There were a fair amount of people who said it has given them dramatic improvements and some even said it cured them. Might want to look into that. Also, one of the easiest things I've found over the years is drinking a lot of water helps my redness quite a bit. If I drink about 100oz in a day, two days later my skin always look much better. Hard to keep up the routine of drinking so much water though. Just a thought. Good luck to you and let me know how the supplements work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_J View Post
    Thanks Gazek!
    I was reading last night after I posted about MSM(Methylsulfonylmethane) and the success of some people on reddit's rosacea forum. There were a fair amount of people who said it has given them dramatic improvements and some even said it cured them. Might want to look into that. Also, one of the easiest things I've found over the years is drinking a lot of water helps my redness quite a bit. If I drink about 100oz in a day, two days later my skin always look much better. Hard to keep up the routine of drinking so much water though. Just a thought. Good luck to you and let me know how the supplements work for you.
    I have yet another Dr appointment in about 6 weeks. I have a bunch of stuff to present, we'll see what the verdict is.

Hey guys,

Just checkin in on ya. Wanted to give an update. Since the last time I posted I've changed some things in my routine. First, I went and got laser treatment for the blood vessels on my nose/cheeks, as well as the ND Yag for facial redness. Both worked very well. I've had three treatments, all about a month apart. Face hasn't looked this good in 16 years! I had ZERO adverse effects from the laser treatment! No swelling/bruising/redness/etc. The place I went to in Seattle is awesome. Blue Haven Medical Spa (Do not work for them). They just really did a good job and were honest. Also, physicians doing the laser treatment. I think it's $125 for 15 min and $225 for 30 min, some of the best prices I've seen.
    The doctor who performed the treatment has rosacea and has been doing the laser for years and you'd never know he has rosacea. He also turned me onto his routine which has been working great. I was my face in the morning and lightly pat with a towel. Face can be dry or a little wet and then I put on something called Replenix the power of three Resveratrol(Kinda expensive stuff). I think that's the name at least. He puts his own logo on the stuff he sold me, but I looked it up online and they look exactly the same. Next, I wait 30 seconds and put some lotion (Forget which kind. I'll updated when i get home) and zinc suncreen in my palm and mix together. I apply the lotion/sunscreen to my cheeks and nose(where I have rosacea). This combo along with eating well has really made my skin so much better. It's soft and smooth and I can actually touch it without worrying about flares ups/acne breakouts. I"m not 100% sure if it's the laser or the resveratrol/lotion/sunscreen routine that has helped more. I'm sure it's a combination. This has been about a week since my last laser and starting my most recent routine. Sorry for poor grammer, etc. Ask any questions, I'll try my best to help. Thanks

Don_J,

thanks for your post and how you are having success in controlling your rosacea. keep us posted as you have in this thread with updates. the next time you see your doctor who has rosacea, ask if your doc would consider being on the RRDi MAC?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi