Thread: How To Handle Seb Derm Flakes?

Default How To Handle Seb Derm Flakes?

How should I handle seb derm flakes? I was recently taking BIOM8 for about three months, but wasn't convinced it was fully helping...just a temporary relief, as I would wake up in the morning and my forehead would be flakey. In addition, the skin underneath my beard was a mess. Lot of flakes on my electric razor when shaving. So should I let the flakes be, as it's my skins way of fighting it off? Should I moisturize? Should I gently scrub them off? I will shower with luke warm water, and my face will be clear of flakes until it dries, then they reappear.

I currently have cortisone, verdeso, xylogel, and ketoconazole 2% shampoo from the dermatologist, and pyrithione zinc bar soap. I don't suffer from scales or redness...just flakes really.

Well I'd shave your beard off for a start, that will help a lot.

Cleansing once a day with a follow up of moisturizer will help with the flakes, you will just have to find one that does not irritate your skin.

I managed to find a BB cream that moisturizes that I can leave on all day.

That combined pretty much eliminated any flaking.

I usually shave my beard down about once every 2-3 weeks. When I have a beard, you can't really notice the flakes unless I'm scratching them off.

Doesn't most moisturizers make seb derm worse due to their ingredients? I find my skin can tolerate most moisturizers, but I haven't had much success with helping the flakes.

This is what works for me:

1. Cleanse with CeraVe foaming cleanser and pat dry
    2. Apply toner climbazole mix and let dry
    3. Apply moisturizing BB cream

I don't wash my face at night, I just leave it until the morning so my face doesn't get dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Senbonzakura View Post
    This is what works for me:

1. Cleanse with CeraVe foaming cleanser and pat dry
    2. Apply toner climbazole mix and let dry
    3. Apply moisturizing BB cream

I don't wash my face at night, I just leave it until the morning so my face doesn't get dry.
    Do you add another layer of moisturizer before bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gazek View Post
    Do you add another layer of moisturizer before bed?
    I don't cleanse at night as I don't really put anything on my skin I need to wash off. The moisturizer I put on in the morning is sufficient to last until the following morning.

It did take awhile before the flakes finally vanished though so don't be put off if you don't see any difference after a few weeks.

If you're still having problems with flakes after a month or two it wouldn't hurt to cleanse and reapply the moisturizer but the main thing for me was leaving the toner/climbazole mix on my skin basically 24/7. If I cleansed at night I would have to reapply the formula and I was slightly concerned I'd be applying climbazole to my skin to frequently.

How did you make the toner? And can you link to moisturizer?

I find that my face isn't dry, and I don't care about redness, I just want the flakes to stop. From public eye, it's probably fine, but up close it's not great. Have you had experience with using MCT Oil? Have you made the lotion that Tom made, or have used MCT oil straight up?

Moisturizer: http://www.escentual.com/lab-series/...gx4aAmSk8P8HAQ

You can get it cheaper, but it might seem quite expensive. It's definitely not, the amount you actually use is to tiny mine has lasted for over 3 months and I still have a lot left.

I made the mixture with a Paula's Choice toner, because the toner is liquid it is easy to dissolve climbazole into it. I chose the toner because it has a lot of helpful ingredients to repair your skin and now I have the added benefit of having it as an anti-fungal.

FYI Sejon dissolved the climbazole into my toner, he has an abundance of climbazole that he will probably never use and it made sense for me to pay him to use it rather than both of us having a life times supply of climbazole.