Thread: Iron supplement increases flushing?

Default Iron supplement increases flushing?

Has anyone noticed this or could it be possible?
    I have begun taking iron capsules because of low iron levels 2 days ago and my flushing is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Isamaria View Post
    Has anyone noticed this or could it be possible?
    I have begun taking iron capsules because of low iron levels 2 days ago and my flushing is worse.
    I don't have a clear answer to your question but I know that its common for people to get either constipated or diarrhea from iron supplement. So I think many of the pills prescripted or in stores can be somehow harsh on the digestive system. My mum is a pharmacist so she deals with people daily regarding all sorts of medications and supplements she gets reviews basically. I was really low on iron myself a couple of months ago and she advised me to go with either a liquid one in Sweden we have sort of herbal iron juice thing called "Blutsaft" (you can google its vegetarian and Im sure every country has its version) or go for pills that are made from hemoglobin (animal source). I believe that if supplements mess with the digestion it could possible also effect flushing.

///V

Hi Isamaria,

I think that the body is made to digest whole foods and that may be the best way to get the additional iron into your body. I have often wondered the same thing as you after numerous flushing episodes when starting to consume various supplements. There are numerous fillers, anti-caking agents, other additives as well as the capsule itself that may be causing the flushing in supplements. There are 2 types of iron, heme (from meat) and non-heme (plant based). The heme iron is better absorbed by the human body, but there are many, many options for vegans to naturally increase their iron intake. Vit C increases iron absorption by 5x! Also using an old fashioned cast iron skillet will provide additional iron when you cook. Not saying that the supplements are causing your increased flushing or not, but try going without the supplement for a few days and see what happens. If your flushing returns to its baseline, you have your answer and then you can move forward from there

thanks for your answers !

I want to give you an update: The flushing got better a few days after stopping the iron supplement.

I have also read that iron triggers inflammation in the body and that a woman has become a rosacea sufferer ~2 weeks after starting iron supplements
    So iron might not be the best supplement for us

I'm interested in this topic, as I have recently suffered chronic hair loss which appears to have been linked to low ferritin (a measure of iron stored in the body). After some months on iron tablets my hair loss has stopped, but I have experienced increased flushing in that time. I think there is a study that links higher ferritin levels and rosacea. I would prefer this not to be proven as I don't want to have to choose between bad skin and bad hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Callah View Post
    I'm interested in this topic, as I have recently suffered chronic hair loss which appears to have been linked to low ferritin (a measure of iron stored in the body). After some months on iron tablets my hair loss has stopped, but I have experienced increased flushing in that time. I think there is a study that links higher ferritin levels and rosacea. I would prefer this not to be proven as I don't want to have to choose between bad skin and bad hair!
    GreenGables brought this up in July 2014. There is maybe some relationship with sun damage, vitamin D, oxidative stress, cathlecidin, and ferritin? Obviously need more research.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi