Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life span of rosacea?

Quote Originally Posted by violet1234 View Post
    I've had it less than one year (mine began abruptly with a rash of P&Ps after trying a retinol product), but I have read a reputable-looking medical study that found that nine years after onset, 68% of rosacea suffers no longer have symptoms. I guess permanent remission is nearly as good as a cure. Another study noted that rosacea is common in middle age, but exceedingly rare in the elderly, therefore it likely does burn itself out or at least go into permanent remission at some point.
    If you can find the paper please provide us the link. Thanks.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    If you can find the paper please provide us the link. Thanks.
    I'll try. But I read so MANY studies, it'll be tricky to find any specific one. Rosacea research has become my new late night hobby.

Let's see....
    https://www.rosacea.org/rosacea-revi...s-rosacea-last

Well, this isn't the study I read before (I'll keep looking) and the stats aren't the same as the one I read, but it does still cite this "nine year" thing.
    I'll keep looking.

edit:

https://www.adorebeauty.com.au/rosacea/guide/how-long-is-rosacea

Here's this "nine year" thing again.
    Perhaps this is referring to the study I read, and I was just mistaken about the percentage. But either way, we have roughly half of sufferers clear in nine years.

And to the poster who said there'd be a ton of residual damage, I don't think that's true for everyone. Many rosacea sufferers have skin that looks "normal" (as in, the same as it looked before Rosacea) in between flushing episodes. And from my personal experience (mostly P&Ps), the "pimples" of rosacea do not leave scars. Not like ordinary, non-rosacea-related acne pimples. Mine only leave a red mark that gradually fades to nothing after a few weeks. I think if I could achieve remission and stop new P&Ps from popping up, my skin would look "normal" again in a short amount of time. But that's JMO, and may not apply to everyone.
    Last edited by violet1234; 4th April 2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add another link

Quote Originally Posted by violet1234 View Post
    I'll try. But I read so MANY studies, it'll be tricky to find any specific one. Rosacea research has become my new late night hobby.

Let's see....
    https://www.rosacea.org/rosacea-revi...s-rosacea-last

Well, this isn't the study I read before (I'll keep looking) and the stats aren't the same as the one I read, but it does still cite this "nine year" thing.
    I'll keep looking.

edit:

https://www.adorebeauty.com.au/rosac...ong-is-rosacea

Here's this "nine year" thing again.
    Perhaps this is referring to the study I read, and I was just mistaken about the percentage. But either way, we have roughly half of sufferers clear in nine years.

And to the poster who said there'd be a ton of residual damage, I don't think that's true for everyone. Many rosacea sufferers have skin that looks "normal" (as in, the same as it looked before Rosacea) in between flushing episodes. And from my personal experience (mostly P&Ps), the "pimples" of rosacea do not leave scars. Not like ordinary, non-rosacea-related acne pimples. Mine only leave a red mark that gradually fades to nothing after a few weeks. I think if I could achieve remission and stop new P&Ps from popping up, my skin would look "normal" again in a short amount of time. But that's JMO, and may not apply to everyone.
    Violet,
    The link refers to an NRS ‘study’ of ‘48 previously diagnosed rosacea patients,’ so this isn’t a large study. This is what is reported:
    “Rosacea is a chronic disorder, rather than a short-term condition, and is often characterized by relapses and remissions. A retrospective study of 48 previously diagnosed rosacea patients found that 52 percent still had active rosacea, with an average ongoing duration of 13 years. The remaining 48 percent had cleared, and the average duration of their rosacea had been nine years. While at present there is no cure for rosacea, its symptoms can usually be controlled with medical therapy and lifestyle modifications. Moreover, studies have shown that rosacea patients who continue therapy for the long term are less likely to experience a recurrence of symptoms.”
    So let’s say it is possible to contact those 48 previously diagnosed rosacea patients to see if the ‘remaining 48 percent’ who had clearance are still in rosacea remission. That would be 23 formerly diagnosed rosacea patients. You would think that would be possible, but what if out of those 23 some report that their rosacea came back? Usually what the NRS does, if you carefully go through the papers that are published by the NRS, is take surveys of rosacea sufferers and publish the results. These are not double blind, placebo controlled, peer reviewed clinical studies but are simply the results of polls or surveys which are anecdotal and cannot be confirmed. They are interesting, and pharmaceutical companies are happy to sponsor such polls. The RRDi received two Galderma educational grants to simply poll rosacea sufferers. What we need is some more information on this subject.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Hello. I'm new here - at least as a poster. I used to read everything I could find on rosacea. Mine started as some weird, random red spots on my face in March or April of 2017 then exploded into a painful firey hell in June 2017. I had many other health issues but did not think for one second that my rosacea was connected to the other stuff. After lots of visits to many doctors and no answers whatsoever regarding my face or anything else, I went to an integrative medicine physician I'll call Dr. V. He ran many tests, most of which were connected to my gut and digestion. I recall his words about my bright red, burning, painful face. He said, "Your rosacea is related to your gut."

Very long story that I'll shorten. Dr. V ran various tests on me for 7 months until he finally wondered aloud if I'd been exposed to mold. Of course I had. Haven't we all? But I'd had at least two long-term exposures in two different workplaces. He decided to test me for mold toxins. (Who even knew that was a thing??) Tests revealed that I had three vicious toxins in my body (aflatoxin, ochratoxin, and verrucarin) as a result of my mold exposure. One thing these toxins do is damage the gut and impede digestion. Mold was the root cause of everything that was wrong with me including the rosacea.

I left my job, tested my house and found mold in the basement, remediated the house, and began the monumental task of trying to restore my health. Gradually over the course of many months, my face began to return to normal. The skin color and texture have pretty much returned to it's pre-rosacea state. The burning is long gone. Now you'd never know now that I had it. My overall health is slowly improving, as recovery from mold toxicity is a very long, slow process.

The "life span" of my rosacea was about 18 months. If I'd been able to clear the toxins from my body on my own, one might have thought I'd had a spontaneous remission. But no.

I don't know if this can help anyone, but I hope it can. I believe in the gut/skin connection. Of course not all gut issues are mold related, but maybe most rosacea is related to gut issues. Maybe.
    Last edited by eliza_mp; 7th April 2019 at 01:25 AM.