Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: A nose in flames, fears etc

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    111
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wendykay View Post
    Raymond, is the Accutane helping your nose?

    Violet and elegant, do you have enlarged pores on your nose? My nose use to just swell up and go down but now it is enlarged (still swells up and down) but the pores are large. I cannot try anything topical on my skin as it is far to sensitive, and I have tried A LOT. That is the only reason why I an considering Accutane at a very low dose...because I am becoming very desperate!!! My new derm tells me it is rhinophyma however he says that it will never get to be like what we see in those horrible pictures. Still....this is very distressing!!!!

    I thank you for any and all replies and look forward to hearing from you.

    All my best.

    Wendy
    Hi Wendy!

    Sorry for my late reply! The pores on my nose are not enlarged yet. They are larger on my nostrils but I wouldnt say enlarged. I have been looking at peoples pores like crazy lately.. Never thought I would do that haha! And my pores are very small compared to most people I look at. However, I am only 34 so there is still plenty of time for them to grow.. I cannot say anything about Accutane because I have no experience. However, going through the nightmare that this past six months has been I have decided to be careful with all types of conventional rosacea treatment. I have had NO long term success with IPL, v-beam, antibiotics or metroprolol. I basically do not feel that they are adressing the root cause of the condition, therefore I am trying to heal myself holistically now instead. This is not easy and I dont know where it will take me - but I have promised myself to not turn to the cross (ipl, Accutane or flushing meds) before I have patiently gone through a long gut healing protocol. I promise to report back to the thread when I feel that I have steady and long term results.

    Much love to all of you and hang in there there is hope!!

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    111
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    Hi Violetsareblue

    so sorry you struggle with the nose flushing. From what I have heard and read, it can be quite difficult to treat indeed. As you said yourself, you don't have oily skin on your nose and I don't think you have a thickened bulbous nose either right? It flushes and then goes back to 'normal' and then blows up with flushing again. Accutane helps get the oiliness down and the inflammation too. But if your nose is not permanently red, it might not be skin inflammation that you want to treat, but the flushing instead?

    I don't have nose flushing but I see Professor Chu soon from now and I will ask him what he recommends for nose flushing. He sees so many rosacea patients, I am sure he has experience in what works best. Two good friends of mine have fairly bad nose flushing too from rosacea and can so far only try to avoid flushing. There surely must be better ways. I know Dr. Chu mentioned anti flushing medication in the past to me when I brought up nose flushing in passing. Laser and IPL might help but the nose is more difficult obviously than treating the cheeks, as it has more cartilage.

    It would be the best if we could treat the core of this condition without medication, and without simple symptom control. I am not sure that is possible at this stage though.. in general I mean. Unless someone flushes from allergies, or foods, or from internal detectable infections that can all be eliminated. But if you do everything imaginable to eat clean, live healthy, avoid your worst triggers and the flushing still happens, then the 'core of the problem' might be more complex... Maybe an auto immune defect somehow, maybe an overactive central nervous system, maybe inflammation in the body, maybe that technically the blood vessels that do not function properly and dilate too much. None of these things can be easily fixed the natural way unfortunately. But for now scientists don't even agree on what causes rosacea, so some people just throw whatever they can at it. To keep things calm and controlled.

    Diclofenac is a non steroid anti inflammatory and has helped others here too. I took it for several years but in the end got off it as it is very harsh on the stomach and I also developed heart pain and cramps (especially when I exercised a lot). You can use it on and off but perhaps it's not a good med to use on higher dose very long term..

    Anyway I hope you get more tips here from people with nose flushing, who found ways to control it, but I will post again when I spoke to Prof. Chu and maybe he has some new insights.


    Elegantsquatlobster, that is terrible. It was Anafranil that made you worse? I know that some antidepressants actually help with flushing, but some others can really trigger and stimulate the central nervous system, which you do not want with rosacea.
    Hi dear Nat!

    Thanks for your reply and kind thoughts! I would love to hear what your doctor has to say

    I agree with you saying its best to treat the core of the condition. That is the conclusion I have made also. I have a long history of gut related problems and I have a bunch of other skin conditions and symptoms of malnutrition even though I eat plenty! So I am being very strict with what I eat to see if I can heal what I believe is the leaky gut of mine. I have decided to stop worrying too much about the rosacea and focus on my general health and body - to nurish, rest, excersice love and laugh! Not let the condition bring me down more then necessary. In my case this condition has been building up for many years I have most likely had symptoms without even noticing - so now I am practasing patience and to listen to my intuition. Its a healthy mental practise as I am not used to really listening to myself. It´s all connected!

    Much love to you and everyone!
    Hoping to report back with good news in a few months!


  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    111
    Country: Sweden

    Default Lil update

    I have wanted to feed back with a post to this thread for a while. Hoping to spread some hope to people
    in a similar situation. As you can read in my earlier posts I was a very bad case of flushing and swelling of
    face/nose/cheeks area, back in early 2017. My life got extremely limited in a way I could never imagine
    before it all started. It was degrading painful and scary. The smallest of things would push me into flushing;
    sitting still for too long, laying down to sleep, sitting in the cinema, public transportation, going on planes,
    eating warm, eating cold, working out, getting upset etc etc I remember that even a ray of sun touching
    my arm would get my face to tingle and often start a flush/swell. I could not wear wool clothes or ever get warm..
    I could feel the heat rise to my face as soon as my body got heated up. It was the worst time of my life.
    Prior to my skin "freaking out" completely in spring 2017, I had mild rosacea for about 10 years and tried
    various conventional treatments (IPL, Tetralycal, V-beam, beta blockers to name a few), several of which
    worsened my condition.

    I had no hope but I still decided to do everything in my power to get well and decided to give "natural" healing
    two years of time before I gave up on it. The foundation of my path has been a change I diet and some life
    style factors in combination with the use of metronidazole cream (not so natural but). I eat very healthy kind
    of PALEO inspired (but a lot less meat then normal paleo and no eggs). I have also added RLT the past month to
    strengthen my skin even more and it is also working well. I am happy to say that my strategy has been very
    successful for me! Even though I never dared to believe that I would ever get better. BUT it took very very long
    time to feel sure I had improvement.. I´d say 7 months to a year..

    My improvement has been gradual over time. Its almost like an ombre/fade of symptoms, which are now
    basically down at zero. I am not fully "healed" – but my skin has not looked nor felt better in ten years. My
    flushing is minimal. My confidence is back and I feel in control of the condition. I might even write in the
    personal success stories thread one day

    Hope this can give hope to someone!
    Best / V
    Last edited by Violetsareblue; 5th October 2018 at 02:42 PM.

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violetsareblue View Post
    I have wanted to feed back with a post to this thread for a while. Hoping to spread some hope to people
    in a similar situation. As you can read in my earlier posts I was a very bad case of flushing and swelling of
    face/nose/cheeks area, back in early 2017. My life got extremely limited in a way I could never imagine
    before it all started. It was degrading painful and scary. The smallest of things would push me into flushing;
    sitting still for too long, laying down to sleep, sitting in the cinema, public transportation, going on planes,
    eating warm, eating cold, working out, getting upset etc etc I remember that even a ray of sun touching
    my arm would get my face to tingle and often start a flush/swell. I could not wear wool clothes or ever get warm..
    I could feel the heat rise to my face as soon as my body got heated up. It was the worst time of my life.
    Prior to my skin "freaking out" completely in spring 2017, I had mild rosacea for about 10 years and tried
    various conventional treatments (IPL, Tetralycal, V-beam, beta blockers to name a few), several of which
    worsened my condition.

    I had no hope but I still decided to do everything in my power to get well and decided to give "natural" healing
    two years of time before I gave up on it. The foundation of my path has been a change I diet and some life
    style factors in combination with the use of metronidazole cream (not so natural but). I eat very healthy kind
    of PALEO inspired (but a lot less meat then normal paleo and no eggs). I have also added RLT the past month to
    strengthen my skin even more and it is also working well. I am happy to say that my strategy has been very
    successful for me! Even though I never dared to believe that I would ever get better. BUT it took very very long
    time to feel sure I had improvement.. I´d say 7 months to a year..

    My improvement has been gradual over time. Its almost like an ombre/fade of symptoms, which are now
    basically down at zero. I am not fully "healed" – but my skin has not looked nor felt better in ten years. My
    flushing is minimal. My confidence is back and I feel in control of the condition. I might even write in the
    personal success stories thread one day

    Hope this can give hope to someone!
    Best / V

    Thank you for documenting your journey! I don't know if you will see this but if so, does your last post still apply to how your rosacea symptoms are today?Does RLT and paleo still work for you?

  5. #65
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rtstar View Post
    Thank you for documenting your journey! I don't know if you will see this but if so, does your last post still apply to how your rosacea symptoms are today? Does RLT and paleo still work for you?
    Violetsareblue's last post was on October 11, 2018. The rosaceans come and go talking about their rosacea woes.

    The Paleo Diet is written by one of our MAC volunteers, Dr. Cordain which is basically a high protein/low carbohydrate diet. Many have found in RF that reducing sugar/carbohydrate improves rosacea.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 6th April 2020 at 11:52 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi



  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    111
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rtstar View Post
    Thank you for documenting your journey! I don't know if you will see this but if so, does your last post still apply to how your rosacea symptoms are today?Does RLT and paleo still work for you?
    Hi! I´m not active here anymore, but luckily I got it sent to my mail
    The reply to your question is yes, but I would also like to say that its more complex then just paleo and RLT. I havnt been consistent with RLT to be honest, so now I dont know about where that would bring my skin. For me what has helped is:

    - completely getting off the metoprolol medication
    - stop doing laser/IPL/V-beam treatments
    - not taking any oral antibiotics to treat the condition
    - getting my body/belly back in balance
    - keeping a clean diet and lifestyle and figuring out which foods causes inflammation in me
    - minimal water/shower/washing of my face
    - having patience to ride the storms, caused by previous treatments, out
    - rotating use of a couple of different very mild skin products
    - and learning to love myself the way i am


    I still have sensitive skin, just as my sister and brother do, I still have to watch what I eat and take care of my skin.
    However I really do not suffer from flushing anymore. Not even under stress. I am back to bikram yoga. I feel comfortable in my own skin. Regarding diet I would say I eat 90% paleo and it still works well for me but if trip into any kind of cheese, milk or any sort of dairy or chocolate I will get pastules again. I need to stay strict and stay away from these foods to keep my skin healthy. I like to stay on paleo because I know I get all the nutrients etc that I need and dont have to worry about eating supplements. I would say my rosacea is healed as long as I dont trip back to my old behavior.

    Hope this helps someone <3

  7. #67
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    649
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violetsareblue View Post
    Hi! I´m not active here anymore, but luckily I got it sent to my mail
    The reply to your question is yes, but I would also like to say that its more complex then just paleo and RLT. I havnt been consistent with RLT to be honest, so now I dont know about where that would bring my skin. For me what has helped is:

    - completely getting off the metoprolol medication
    - stop doing laser/IPL/V-beam treatments
    - not taking any oral antibiotics to treat the condition
    - getting my body/belly back in balance
    - keeping a clean diet and lifestyle and figuring out which foods causes inflammation in me
    - minimal water/shower/washing of my face
    - having patience to ride the storms, caused by previous treatments, out
    - rotating use of a couple of different very mild skin products
    - and learning to love myself the way i am


    I still have sensitive skin, just as my sister and brother do, I still have to watch what I eat and take care of my skin.
    However I really do not suffer from flushing anymore. Not even under stress. I am back to bikram yoga. I feel comfortable in my own skin. Regarding diet I would say I eat 90% paleo and it still works well for me but if trip into any kind of cheese, milk or any sort of dairy or chocolate I will get pastules again. I need to stay strict and stay away from these foods to keep my skin healthy. I like to stay on paleo because I know I get all the nutrients etc that I need and dont have to worry about eating supplements. I would say my rosacea is healed as long as I dont trip back to my old behavior.

    Hope this helps someone <3
    Hi V -

    I always wondered what you ate if you didn't eat much meat on paleo? Do you mean that you don't eat red meat, but still eat chicken and fish, for example?

    Thanks + glad you are still doing well!

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    111
    Country: Sweden

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laser_cat View Post
    Hi V -

    I always wondered what you ate if you didn't eat much meat on paleo? Do you mean that you don't eat red meat, but still eat chicken and fish, for example?

    Thanks + glad you are still doing well!
    Hi again, I hope you are well
    Well, its hard to explain.. veggies sound very diffuse. I do eat both red meat and fish. Maybe make some example..

    for example today: breakfast was a big handful of fresh raspberries, green tea, eggs, coconut oil, and a funny vegan feta made from coconut oil, swedish ryebread "knäckebröd" (this bread is not paleo thats why i say 90% paleo); lunch was ramen, with chicken broth, mushrooms, pak choi, sweet potato noodles; dinner was stir fry with sweet potato noodles, leeks, shallots, dried shrimps, pak choi and a big handfull of unroasted peanuts (peanuts are not paleo) and i also made a raw/paleo apple pie a few days ago that i have had for my sweet tooth coffee breaks. I cook a lot of food inspired by the Chinese kitchen, little meatballs, soups, stir fries, dumplings. I also eat lots of roasted roots like parsnips and carrots, kale chrisps, sauerkraut lots of coconut an olive oil, nuts, dried fruits, pesto of almonds, dried tomatoes, herbs etc. I love to roast a chicken sometimes and then cook a broth on the bones to go into a ramen. I could go on and on.. I def eat red meat but it does not dominate my diet. After eating strict paleo for some time, a year or two, I felt I found a balance with myself and reintroduced a little bit of grains and legumes. For example a little bit of rye bread, I make hommus sometimes, I eat dumpling dough which has wheat in it etc. But over all I would say my diet is much more varied then it was pre paleo and I sort of eat mindfully and cook basically everything I eat myself.


    I sound so pretentious haha, sorry!! I hope it makes some sort of sense

  9. #69
    Senior Member laser_cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    649
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violetsareblue View Post
    Hi again, I hope you are well
    Well, its hard to explain.. veggies sound very diffuse. I do eat both red meat and fish. Maybe make some example..

    for example today: breakfast was a big handful of fresh raspberries, green tea, eggs, coconut oil, and a funny vegan feta made from coconut oil, swedish ryebread "knäckebröd" (this bread is not paleo thats why i say 90% paleo); lunch was ramen, with chicken broth, mushrooms, pak choi, sweet potato noodles; dinner was stir fry with sweet potato noodles, leeks, shallots, dried shrimps, pak choi and a big handfull of unroasted peanuts (peanuts are not paleo) and i also made a raw/paleo apple pie a few days ago that i have had for my sweet tooth coffee breaks. I cook a lot of food inspired by the Chinese kitchen, little meatballs, soups, stir fries, dumplings. I also eat lots of roasted roots like parsnips and carrots, kale chrisps, sauerkraut lots of coconut an olive oil, nuts, dried fruits, pesto of almonds, dried tomatoes, herbs etc. I love to roast a chicken sometimes and then cook a broth on the bones to go into a ramen. I could go on and on.. I def eat red meat but it does not dominate my diet. After eating strict paleo for some time, a year or two, I felt I found a balance with myself and reintroduced a little bit of grains and legumes. For example a little bit of rye bread, I make hommus sometimes, I eat dumpling dough which has wheat in it etc. But over all I would say my diet is much more varied then it was pre paleo and I sort of eat mindfully and cook basically everything I eat myself.


    I sound so pretentious haha, sorry!! I hope it makes some sort of sense
    Thank you for the example

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violetsareblue View Post
    Hi! I´m not active here anymore, but luckily I got it sent to my mail
    The reply to your question is yes, but I would also like to say that its more complex then just paleo and RLT. I havnt been consistent with RLT to be honest, so now I dont know about where that would bring my skin. For me what has helped is:

    - completely getting off the metoprolol medication
    - stop doing laser/IPL/V-beam treatments
    - not taking any oral antibiotics to treat the condition
    - getting my body/belly back in balance
    - keeping a clean diet and lifestyle and figuring out which foods causes inflammation in me
    - minimal water/shower/washing of my face
    - having patience to ride the storms, caused by previous treatments, out
    - rotating use of a couple of different very mild skin products
    - and learning to love myself the way i am


    I still have sensitive skin, just as my sister and brother do, I still have to watch what I eat and take care of my skin.
    However I really do not suffer from flushing anymore. Not even under stress. I am back to bikram yoga. I feel comfortable in my own skin. Regarding diet I would say I eat 90% paleo and it still works well for me but if trip into any kind of cheese, milk or any sort of dairy or chocolate I will get pastules again. I need to stay strict and stay away from these foods to keep my skin healthy. I like to stay on paleo because I know I get all the nutrients etc that I need and dont have to worry about eating supplements. I would say my rosacea is healed as long as I dont trip back to my old behavior.

    Hope this helps someone <3


    Thank you, I was hoping that some users get emails when they get tagged in comments. So basically reading your post it sounds like your diet is single handedly helping your rosacea? Would you say you had to have the laser and v beam treatments to get to where you are and the diet just helps keep it at bay or is it just the diet exclusively? Sorry to keep asking but I am very depressed that my EM is spreading and my rosacea persists. I do want to hear from people who have had successful treatments where they no longer feel the need to visit these forums as much because it doesn't bother them anymore.

Similar Threads

  1. Red nose with veins nose of nowhere
    By Rudolf1988 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th June 2016, 07:16 PM
  2. Science Daily - Inflammation can fan the flames of depression
    By RSS News Bot in forum Other News Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th December 2015, 05:10 PM
  3. harbouring fears that this is Karma within my lifetime
    By clouddog in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th July 2015, 09:08 PM
  4. IPL/Laser fears and possibility of side effects
    By willingtotry in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 6th February 2015, 07:57 AM
  5. Vbeam Questions, Fears
    By chryssie6 in forum General rosacea questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th February 2013, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •