Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A nose in flames, fears etc

My nose has been like this lately but only on the bridge of my nose and the skin is very dry, I think mine maybe caused by over washing using a flannel.

I get the pressure feeling their too. When I get hot it seems the bridge of my nose tries to release the heat as I don't seem to sweat anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by redtere View Post
    How much Diclofenac do you take, is it just 25mg every other day? Also has this completely stopped the big nose flushing epidose you get when lying down to sleep at night. That is my main problem.
    One other thing, have you hear of Voltarol Gel, it is topical Diclofenac available OTC. I have read on other internet forums that migraine sufferers use it on their face. I am going to try it next week.
    I took 25 mg 2x day for five days. This quiet down my daytime nose buzz radically.
    It has not erased my nose/blushing problems but it has improved a lot and I don't blush every night nor have the 24/7 tingle atm.
    My theory is that the rebound flushing that I got from stopping the beta blockers has made my vessels very very stressed and diklofenak is slowly helping the vessels to calm the inflammation and hopefully recover from the rebound. I am going to take as low dose as possible and eat bone broth, veggies and as little inflammatory agents (suger/startch) as possible to give the body a chance to cool down the irritation that has been building up the past months. The past days I only take 25 mg a day or none. I will also start to work hard on reducing stress in my body since I think that is really fanning the inflammation fire atm.

I will report back!
    Last edited by Violetsareblue; 17th April 2017 at 07:19 AM.

I decided to finally make an update on how I'm doing with intranasal capsaicin oil for my rhinitis. I've been using it now daily for 17 days. Now, the good news - seems a lot like it has helped indeed! But not entirely.
    Since using it, I haven't had a big bad red nose flush in about two weeks, I had one yesterday though. I don't know why (maybe it's related to my menstrual cycle), but it's better today again. So that's quite good! Besides, now when I wake up my nostrils never hurt anymore. Nose also reacts much less to environmental temperature changes.

Cons: My left nostril feels mildly congested way more often now. Before it was EITHER big, terrible inflammation all over nose OR completely calm nose, whereas now I generally don't get those big, big inflammations anymore and my right nostril feels almost always normal BUT my left nostril is lightly to moderately congested way more often than it used to be. It also feels congested in the morning after I get up. This mild/moderate left nostril congestion isn't that much debilitating, I'd probably rather call it annoying, but I mean I still hate it because I want my nose to feel normal all over.

How I use capsaicin: I made a capsaicin oil by infusing cayenne pepper powder in hot grape seed oil (if you want, I can get you the recipe). Then I mix a small quantity of this very spicy oil with pure grape seed oil to make it less spicy, pour this mix in a small bottle and carry it around. I put it in my nostrils with a cotton swab. In the beginning I used it up to like 5 times a day every hour but I really don't know the right dosage or how spicy the oil should actually be for best results so idk I just experiment I guess.

Will I keep doing this? Yeah, I think it's worth exploring.
    Do I suggest this? I'd say I do because my quality of life has improved even though I haven't been cured yet
    I'll give another update someday later.

Quote Originally Posted by elegantsquatlobster View Post
    I decided to finally make an update on how I'm doing with intranasal capsaicin oil for my rhinitis. I've been using it now daily for 17 days. Now, the good news - seems a lot like it has helped indeed! But not entirely.
    Since using it, I haven't had a big bad red nose flush in about two weeks, I had one yesterday though. I don't know why (maybe it's related to my menstrual cycle), but it's better today again. So that's quite good! Besides, now when I wake up my nostrils never hurt anymore. Nose also reacts much less to environmental temperature changes.

Cons: My left nostril feels mildly congested way more often now. Before it was EITHER big, terrible inflammation all over nose OR completely calm nose, whereas now I generally don't get those big, big inflammations anymore and my right nostril feels almost always normal BUT my left nostril is lightly to moderately congested way more often than it used to be. It also feels congested in the morning after I get up. This mild/moderate left nostril congestion isn't that much debilitating, I'd probably rather call it annoying, but I mean I still hate it because I want my nose to feel normal all over.

How I use capsaicin: I made a capsaicin oil by infusing cayenne pepper powder in hot grape seed oil (if you want, I can get you the recipe). Then I mix a small quantity of this very spicy oil with pure grape seed oil to make it less spicy, pour this mix in a small bottle and carry it around. I put it in my nostrils with a cotton swab. In the beginning I used it up to like 5 times a day every hour but I really don't know the right dosage or how spicy the oil should actually be for best results so idk I just experiment I guess.

Do I suggest this? I'd say I do because my quality of life has improved even though I haven't been cured yet

Hi Elegant,

That sounds like good progress! I'd be interested in the recipe Hope you continue to improve.

Just fyi, my flushes get very much worse according to my menstrual cycle, so you're not alone there.

Best of luck,

Lizzy

Hi Elegant!!
    That sounds like great news!! I am so glad it's helping you! Also love the creativity
    I would also love to get the recipe for this!

I'm on my second week on diclofenak (now only 25 mg/day) and I am still feeling better.
    My body temperature feels much more even, my nose buzz is much less. I still blush but
    the blushing is less dramatic. Next week I will try to tapper the med out to see if the
    improvements are permanent.

Hey again, sorry for the late reply.
    Returning to the capsaicin oil, yeah, I still think it has helped (almost none big red flushes, less often feeling "on edge", waking up without pain (but still somewhat stuffed). However, I still cannot feel that my nose is all totally safe and it at times continues to keep me from doing some things I want/need to do. The left nostril some days is blocked so often that it starts to worry me Luckily, it's been much better for the last two days or so.
    Today, for example, I came home from the windy outside and my nose remained more red than it should be for quite the while and also felt annoyingly slightly stuffy inside and very mildly "on edge". Because of that I kept on procrastinating doing my homework.. I was too pissed at my nose for just not being normal.
    So it isn't magic but it does help. I'm just disappointed that it hasn't healed me completely and without any side effects.
    Recipe how I did it (real simple): Mix about 120 ml of grapeseed oil (use whatever vegetable oil, except for olive because it screws with a lot of people's skin barrier) with 2 tablespoons of cayenne powder. Pour it all into a pot. Heat up on the lowest heat. You need to get the oil hot so that the capsaicin from cayenne transfers to the oil quicker. Note of caution: when the oil shows the slightest sign of bubbling, turn the heat down. If you heat it for too long (which doesn't take much time at all) it will reach it's smoke point and, duh, start to smoke something nasty and black. It happened to my first batch The smell was really pungent and even made me cough. Tossed that devilish concoction straight out the window.
    So, turn the heat down and cover your pot so that the remaining heat can't escape. Let it sit for 20 minutes, then carefully reheat, cover again for 20 mins and so on for at least an hour. If you feel like cooking for whatever reason, do it for a few more hours. I think mine was actually already spicy after 1h. Then get a coffee filter paper, put it in a clean jar or glass or anything and pour your oily mixture in the paper to separate the oil from any cayenne particles. Store your magic oil in a clean, well sealed jar. It's got a very beautiful red tone to it

Yeah, the fact that my nose isn't THAT good with this makes me start to consider nasal steroid sprays. Have you tried those? I'm reluctant because:
    1) What if it makes my face or nose worse? I haven't had the best experiences with meds :/
    2) The weather should finally soon be warm and at least the last summer my rhinitis actually cleared up! I think it was because of no more temperature swings when going in/out. So maybe shouldn't risk the side effects and wait just a lil' more.
    Last edited by elegantsquatlobster; 27th April 2017 at 07:43 PM.

Returning to the capsaicin oil, yeah, I still think it has helped (almost none big red flushes, less often feeling "on edge", waking up without pain (but still somewhat stuffed). However, I still cannot feel that my nose is all totally safe and it at times continues to keep me from doing some things I want/need to do. The left nostril some days is blocked so often that it starts to worry me Luckily, it's been much better for the last two days or so.
    Today, for example, I came home from the windy outside and my nose remained more red than it should be for quite the while and also felt annoyingly slightly stuffy inside and very mildly "on edge". Because of that I kept on procrastinating doing my homework.. I was too pissed at my nose for just not being normal.
    So it isn't magic but it does help. I'm just disappointed that it hasn't healed me completely and without any side effects.
    Recipe how I did it (real simple): Mix about 120 ml of grapeseed oil (use whatever vegetable oil, except for olive because it screws with a lot of people's skin barrier) with 2 tablespoons of cayenne powder. Pour it all into a pot. Heat up on the lowest heat. You need to get the oil hot so that the capsaicin from cayenne transfers to the oil quicker. Note of caution: when the oil shows the slightest sign of bubbling, turn the heat down. If you heat it for too long (which doesn't take much time at all) it will reach it's smoke point and, duh, start to smoke something nasty and black. It happened to my first batch The smell was really pungent and even made me cough. Tossed that devilish concoction straight out the window.
    So, turn the heat down and cover your pot so that the remaining heat can't escape. Let it sit for 20 minutes, then carefully reheat, cover again for 20 mins and so on for at least an hour. If you feel like cooking for whatever reason, do it for a few more hours. I think mine was actually already spicy after 1h. Then get a coffee filter paper, put it in a clean jar or glass or anything and pour your oily mixture in the paper to separate the oil from any cayenne particles. Store your magic oil in a clean, well sealed jar. It's got a very beautiful red tone to it

Yeah, the fact that my nose isn't THAT good with this makes me start to consider nasal steroid sprays. Have you tried those? I'm reluctant because:
    1) What if it makes my face or nose worse? I haven't had the best experiences with meds :/
    2) The weather should finally soon be warm and at least the last summer my rhinitis actually cleared up! I think it was because of no more temperature swings when going in/out. So maybe shouldn't risk the side effects and wait just a lil' more.

Thanks so much Elegant. I'm going to try this when I get the time. Even partial help would be good!

You've probably already thought of this, but as to your nose reacting to the wind, do you wear a face mask of some sort when you are outside? Maybe it's a moot point as it is summer-ish already. I used some sort of face mask last winter (along with a UV visor lol, I know I looked odd but I just don't care anymore) and it was a big help.

I tried flonase nasal spray, but don't think I used it long enough to notice anything myself. Like you I was scared of the side effects of using it routinely.

Best,

Lizzy

Hi dear Elegant!

Good to have some update! And thanks for the recipe! I will try it and report my reslults in the thread later on this spring.

And a little annoying that the oil doesnt make you completely well.. I totally understand how it feels for something to almost help.. I think that the fact that you got better still shows that you can effect the condition, which is really, really good!! I think everything that has an effect is also a clue!

I was on the antiinflammatory med. for two weeks, now is my first week of and I am still feeling better then I did before it. My nose is less stuffed, I feel less fever like and my blushing is less. I am not completely well, my nose is still a little buzzy and get warm/redish and sore inside, I flush etc but I have started to think that the healing will take pretty long. I have decided to give it a year to try to get better without medications. Since I felt I got an improvement from the antiinflammatory med I think that indicates I need to work hard on healing general inflammation in my body. I also got my ANA-bloodtest (checking for autoimmunity) back and it was slightly positive. My doctor says its extremely low on the plus side - does not indicate any disorder/illness, but I personally think that my body is somewhat out of balance and I want to take care of it as good as I can! So I will keep on working on the paleo AIP. Since I stopped the antiinflammatory I have been drinking bonebroth daily and I feel it helps! I have also started walking 5-10 km a day and it also helps. The improvement is very subtle but I believe in it.

To your questions:

1. I have never tried steroid nasal spray and I want to wait with that until I have tried the natural way of healing. I have been careful with steroids for the same reason as you. So many people get rosacea from steroids and so I am worried to put that in my nose atm.

2. I think you should wait and see if the season makes you better. I have been so extremely worried about different side effects of my past rosacea treatments/medications the past months.. So from now on I will be restrictive, just wait for a while and see if there might be natural/lifestyle things that can help. Have you looked into your diet at all? And have you checked for allergies like dust or mold?

Take care

//V

Thank you guys a ton for all the kind words, it's really nice Update on capsaicin oil: I began using it undiluted so it's way spicier now and my constant left nostril congestion has been greatly relieved! I still get other nasal symptoms though but, phew, no more of the left nostril nightmare. Undiluted capsaicin oil though burns quite a bit at first and sometimes makes me sneeze or cough lol. I also tried putting it on my cheek but it didn't burn at all so I guess it didn't get absorbed.

laser_cat, yep, I've thought of using a mask. I always have a scarf around my neck and when there's strong wind or cold I sort of hold it in front of my face. That day I didn't use it though because it was warm and when I was outside the wind actually felt good on my skin and I really enjoy those moments. The negative reaction popped up later when I got home.
    Speaking of masks and stuff like that, they're pretty good for wind but don't work very well for me when it's cold. Either the frost just somehow creeps through or my face gets hot from breathing and basically I always still end up looking quite splotchy after being out in the cold. Tbh, I don't know how I'm gona deal with winters from now - I really freakin' hate them! Might even move somewhere warm all year round one day, I think I'm not kidding!

Violetsareblue
    , yeah, you're right that it's nice for me to be able at least somehow positively affect the state of my nose. I hadn't thought of it that way, I was just chasing complete remission.
    Speaking of diet and systemic inflammation, here's a link, it's a summary of lots of studies about how healthy lifestyle improves and reverses chronic western diseases which have chronic inflammation in common. I just thought it might apply to rosacea as well because it's inflammatory and chronic. The text is awfully long but you don't have to read it all. Inspired by all these studies I attempted to eat healthy and exercise moderately almost daily and tried to keep it up for months. But, alas, it just seemed to make me sad, and I couldn't always stick with the rules and that obviously made me even sadder. Most importantly, I didn't see any real improvement and perhaps living strictly healthy doesn't even help rosacea the way it helps diabetes or cancer. And when I look at the people around me and how unhealthy they live and how well they are I just get extremely confused and feel like I'm torturing myself for no reason. I think for me at least it's more important to keep my brain happy with some unhealthy habits.
    I've tried all kinds of funny diets but they just don't seem to correlate at all with how my skin/nose is doing. I have some acne as well and diet doesn't even affect that! I wish it did because then I could treat myself somehow at least.
    Speaking of allergies, I haven't been tested but I feel like they shouldn't be the cause because 1) I've never been allergic to anything; 2) I used nasal and oral antihistamines and they didn't help at all.
    Last edited by elegantsquatlobster; 1st May 2017 at 09:23 AM.

Sup, another update from elegantsquatlobster aka me!

So a bunch of days ago my period kicked in and it always really calms down my face and, turns out it also helps my nose I guess because it just really calmed down so much and I didn't even need to put the capsaicin oil in my nostrils anymore. My nose just felt *normal*, I was so moved. So I've been doing really well for a couple days now. But this relief will probably not last long because it usually goes away with my period. So I went to my GP and asked if I should start my nasal steroid treatment and she said that definitely, because I've had this rhinitis for so long and I really need to stop suffering. So she prescribed me Nasonex. I am currently on day 3 with it (1 spray in each nostril once a day). So far haven't felt anything unusual that might be a side effect. The weather is still pretty disgusting =(

How about you, guys?