Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo diet making it worse?

Default Paleo diet making it worse?

Hi, I have kprf, so the name suggests it's just keratosis pilaris on the face right? So I saw many sites and people saying that paleo diet cleared their kp, so I thought I should give it a try.

I started doing paleo, and in day 1 I started getting those bad signs, like my skin got really dry, I was felling weak, having headaches, and my redness got worse, I kept the diet for 3 days and the symptoms remained the same, so I made a "break day" to see if my skin gets back to its regular state, and by break I mean drinking a lot of soda and eating a lot of cookies, chocolate and stuff, that was my regular diet for years, and my skins got a little better after those huge loads of sugar.

So, what does that mean? Is that a detox symptom or my diet is actually worsen my skin and I should stop it? Btw, I have like an allergy from eggs, olive oil and onions, every time I eat those my ear gets really red and hot, and the redness of my face gets a little hot too and redder. About the eggs and olive I don't know if that's because of the fat of those foods or its actually the food, I will try eat some fats from other sources and see if my skin responds.

The strange thing is that these bad signs happens right after the first healthy meal I make, like 20 minutes later, if I don't eat a lot of carbs, I got those symptoms, its like almost instant, and its really weird.

I really need help !

What your body is used to, is whats called an carb based metabolism. That is, it is used to dealing with a larger quantity of sugars. This is not healthy long term, as it causes the pancreas to over-produce insulin to combat the sugars. When the pancreas can no longer produce insulin, you get diabetes.

A glucose based metabolism, is what paleo gives you. Specifically, it processes proteins into glucose via gluconeogensis. This is the more proper way to deal with a balanced diet.

I believe sticking to paleo for 30 days is important. Yes, you will weaker, more hungry, and generally lethargic while your body adjusts. After 30 days, you can try incorporating small amounts of food and see if your skin worsens, or stomach/intestines get upset.

If you are still unsure and are worried, consult your GP who can schedule some blood work, and direct you to a nutritionalist if needed.

Brady Barrows, a regular here, wrote an excellent book on the subject: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00C6WFXR0/...22412850_TE_DP

Thanks man, I read about those detox symptons but none of then mentioned dry skin, and my extremities gets really cold, like my hands and feet, and other parts like my face and chest gets hotter, its really weird and I dont know if those things are to be expected or am i doing something wrong.and for those 3 days on the diet I eat very little (compared to what I used to) and barely dindt lose any wheight, like I wasnt peeing enough, even tho I tried lemons, orange and teas to help eliminating water and I was drinking a lot of water (I know that in the first week of paleo u lose a lot of water) so again I dont know if those things are supossed to happen

The only time I eliminated a lot of water was when I eat a fish, 2 hours later I started to go to the bathroom alot, like 7 times in 1 hour. Do you know it this hapenned because of the fats of the fish, or its because the omega-3?

And another question, I know I should eat a lot of fats when doing paleo, but I cant eat olive oil and eggs, those make my skin burns, as I said on the other post, so how can I get some large amount of fats ? eggs was going to be a huge part on my diet

Quote Originally Posted by Heizen View Post
    Thanks man, I read about those detox symptons but none of then mentioned dry skin, and my extremities gets really cold, like my hands and feet, and other parts like my face and chest gets hotter, its really weird and I dont know if those things are to be expected or am i doing something wrong.and for those 3 days on the diet I eat very little (compared to what I used to) and barely dindt lose any wheight, like I wasnt peeing enough, even tho I tried lemons, orange and teas to help eliminating water and I was drinking a lot of water (I know that in the first week of paleo u lose a lot of water) so again I dont know if those things are supossed to happen

The only time I eliminated a lot of water was when I eat a fish, 2 hours later I started to go to the bathroom alot, like 7 times in 1 hour. Do you know it this hapenned because of the fats of the fish, or its because the omega-3?

And another question, I know I should eat a lot of fats when doing paleo, but I cant eat olive oil and eggs, those make my skin burns, as I said on the other post, so how can I get some large amount of fats ? eggs was going to be a huge part on my diet
    Your extremities getting cold could be many things as well. The human body is a logistical nightmare. Personally, I have a syndrome that makes my hands and feet perpetually cold. They even get cool colors like purple and orange! lol.

I can't give you any suggestions regarding frequent, or infrequent urination, but paleo aside one should strive to drink 2L of water a day. This is most important during 30 days of paleo because the whole idea is that we are flushing the system, before incorporating other foods. I drink 1L when at the gym, then another 1.5L throughout the day. Totalling 2.5L (not counting herbal teas). I don't drink anything else.

Not to worry on the olive oil, butter is completely acceptable on paleo (in my opinion). Some people don't consume it because it comes from a cow, but butter is really all fat, which when being used for cooking is perfectly acceptable. Here is an article discussing why some people eat it, and others don't. Some diets like AIP exclude it entirely. Personally, I cook certain proteins with olive oil and others with butter.

Is it the whole egg that bothers you? Have you tried just the whites, or just the yolk? Granted, we want the fat from the egg (yolk) AND protein (white) but just for your bodies sake, have you tried them separately?

I take supplements to help with my Omega levels, as well as probiotics and a multivitamin that has all the other minerals I am looking for (Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin D, etc).

My best advice would be to consult a physician. Especially when making such a drastic diet change.
    Last edited by Gazek; 25th March 2017 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazek View Post
    Your extremities getting cold could be many things as well. The human body is a logistical nightmare. Personally, I have a syndrome that makes my hands and feet perpetually cold. They even get cool colors like purple and orange! lol.

I can't give you any suggestions regarding frequent, or infrequent urination, but paleo aside one should strive to drink 2L of water a day. This is most important during 30 days of paleo because the whole idea is that we are flushing the system, before incorporating other foods. I drink 1L when at the gym, then another 1.5L throughout the day. Totalling 2.5L (not counting herbal teas). I don't drink anything else.

Not to worry on the olive oil, but is completely acceptable on paleo. Some people don't consume it because it comes from a cow, but butter is really all fat, which when being used for cooking is perfectly acceptable. Here is an article discussing why some people eat it, and others don't. Some diets like AIP exclude it entirely. Personally, I cook certain proteins with olive oil and others with butter.

Is it the whole egg that bothers you? Have you tried just the whites, or just the yolk? Granted, we want the fat from the egg (yolk) AND protein (white) but just for your bodies sake, have you tried them separately?

I take supplements to help with my Omega levels, as well as probiotics and a multivitamin that has all the other minerals I am looking for (Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin D, etc).

My best advice would be to consult a physician. Especially when making such a drastic diet change.
    Thanks, I will try this about the eggs and see if it works, but I think the burns come from the fats, its kind of a coincidence that these 2 high fat are giving me burns, I will eat like a lot of butter one day to see if I burn, if the problem is actually the fats I guess I'll push it to see if gets better and my body adapt to it. thanks for the replies, I will start the diet again on monday and post some feedbacks after 1 month

I would recommend trying an elimination diet before attempting to adhere to a diet plan. Eggs are a common allergen, so you may need to rule out a sensitivity to them.

Here's a link to the elimination diet I did: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/e...tions-to-food/

I recently had to do a fast to test for SIBO. All I could eat for 48 hours before the test were meat and eggs. This was to low carb for me, and my face and eyes were bad. I usually only eat maybe 50 grams or less a day which works but zero carbs and to much fat made it worse. I think it's finding your balance and it can take a long time. An elimination diet is a good idea. My triggers are : starch (any type), high sugar fruit, grains, dairy. This took a long time to figure out. I don't eat processed food at all. I can now work full time where a few years ago, part time was all I could do due to my ocular rosacea.

Give yourself time. You will figure it out. Brady's "rosacea diet" is very good as well. He allows 30 grams per day which is a good number for me, but most days I have about 50. This is from veggies, berries (low sugar) almonds and that's pretty well my carbs.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Heizen View Post

I did the full paleo AIP for six weeks a few months ago. I also experienced an extremely dry skin after about a week and a half. When going paleo the first weeks the body will loose a lot of water because your metabolism is changing. Carbs bind to water/hold water in the body and when you eliminate most of those you will loose water which I assume, in some cases, can result in a dry skin. I didn't loose any weight the first weeks either, but also went to the bathroom non stop and then at week 4-5 I lost a lot ow weight. So I guess it can vary some from person to person.

However when it comes to paleo I agree with others here saying that you will need to do the 30 days before determine how it works the first few weeks many different things can happen as the body is adjusting to the new diet.

I think that one thing is very important when you go paleo (or actually always) try to eat diverse. I really chocked my system when I went paleo and learned as I went on that for my body it takes time to adjust and its so important to eat diverse. The body needs a lot of different nutrients so just focusing on eggs for example is not so good. Its all about finding balance. I realized I can't be strict paleo since I lost so much weight I was getting ill. I need to add small amounts of startchy grains to my "paleo" lifestyle.

Fats there are several other good sources to good fats: coconut oil, creamed coconut, lard, avocado and ghee.

Also if you find yourself reacting to certain foods try to keep a food diary and I also agree with others here regarding an elimination diet (but try do that under supervision of a professional). You might find a pattern in your reactions. Some people get allergic reactions from foods rich in histamines (salami, sausages, red wine, matured cheese, strawberries etc) and some react to salicylic acid (a common preservative in cosmetics which also naturally occurs in things like olive oil, many fruits and berries etc). We are all different and our bodies are complex so it might take some investigation to find the right path for you (I am also working on finding mine ).

So much to learn yet

As Violetsareblue points out, when you change your metabolism using the Paleo Diet, it does indeed take time for your body to adjust. Your hormones change from an overproduction of insulin to releasing glucagon. That is why you need more water. Lots of water. At least drink two liters a day. There are others who have said that using the Paleo Diet has helped control their rosacea. Loren Cordain, Ph.D., professor at Colorado State University has graciously volunteered to serve on the RRDi MAC and responds to questions when he has the volunteer time.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Acutely I have tired Paleo diet and I find good in my body.