Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does 'remission' look like?

Default What does 'remission' look like?

We all know the standard blurb written everywhere about Rosacea... including the bit that describes it as being partly characterised by "periods of remission". I've often wondered what a period of remission actually looks like for those who have experienced it. So I thought, if people told their remission stories here, it might be a useful thread for others to reference.

I was finally moved to start up such a thread because of my own recent experience, which I will describe below... But I would also like to invite any others who feel they have experienced remission to describe how it was for them, including any subsequent return of symptoms, if applicable.

I don't know if there is a required minimum period of time before a rosacean can consider they are in remission, but I suspect that a week might not be long enough! However, given that I haven't experienced a whole week without flushing since my Rosacea kicked in nine months ago, I will call my wee, week long experience a remission, even if it turns out to be short-lived (I hope not!!)

I would welcome comments in response to my story below.... and of course your own remission stories if you have them.

MY WEEK-LONG (so far!) 'REMISSION'

I can't give any definite reason as to why I'm currently having this lovely respite from both flushing and nerve pain (the latter symptom is absent because, in my case, face pain/discomfort always follows a flush). But here are some of the things that were happening in my life at the time my flushing subsided.

1 - It started exactly 6 weeks after my third in a series of IPL treatments. I woke up one morning with several spots and little whiteheads across my treated areas. This is unusual for me, as I have been 100% subtype 1 so far. Of course it did cross my mind that I had suddenly been 'promoted' to subtype 2, but how could I be sure... it was too soon to know anything. In any case, the spots mostly faded away by mid-day and reappeared next morning, only to slowly fade away again every day for the next three days or so. I wondered of the spots might have been due to IPL-zapped caplillaries finally being expunged by my body??. This process began a week ago, the spots are less frequent now, but are still coming and going, just one or two a day, in new areas where there have been visible capillaries. Background redness is also breaking up, looking more blotchy, revealing pale areas between... so it does feel as though my face has been been some sort of IPL-related process, although the nurse who does my IPL said that she had never heard of anything like this before....

2 - the day before my flushing stopped, I went for hypnosis to try and deal with the increasing anxiety that has been building up in relation to my Rosacea, specifically the fear of flushing, which has been significantly impacting on my life and work. I've been working with self-hypnosis twice daily since then. I really do feel much calmer. I recommend this.

3 - en-couraged by my self-hypnosis, I finally decided to try the "warm-room flush" theory. I raised my home heating from 17C to 20, with no ill effect. I'm not sure that this is relevant to my sudden lack of flushing, as I would have expected to go through a period of increased flushing, or at least near-flushing for a while, but this didn't happen. All I know for sure is that, since a week ago, I am able to be comfortable in temperatures that would previously have caused a flush within minutes.. In my case that was anything over 18C.. Although sometimes I would even flush at lower temps, if my own body temp rose for any reason, or if I was concentrating or slightly stressed.

That's my wee story so far. I am prepared that I may slip back a little over the next weekmor so, as I had my 4th IPL just yesterday... we'll see... I'm also a little confused today as to whether I should reduce the temps at home again for a while, as my skin will have extra heat in it after the treatment... God, it's at time like this that I WISH there was some solid, incontestable source of Rosacea-knowledge to refer to when questions like this arise... If I flush today, or tomorrow, or next week, how will I know if it's just a postIPL reaction OR if it's because I'm keeping my face too cool and my neuropeptides are building up?

I'll try to not get anxious (time for more light trance-work! :-) and I'll feel my way...

Sorry this is so long... But I think it's all necessary. Comments and other's experiences are invited.

All the best,
    Fiona
    Last edited by Fiugs; 15th March 2017 at 11:34 AM.

Default PS

Ahh.... Thanks to Brady for pointing to this definition of Remission.

So... Does that mean what I had been experiencing from June 2016 until last week was a flare up? That's some flare up....

I had Rosacea back in 2002/3 for three years, I went into remission for ten years, no flushing, redness, lived a normal life. Now the best advice I can give you is never think you cured it, I made that mistake, I thought my Rosacea years were well and truly behind me, but I now know it was a period of remission because my Rosacea is back and far more brutal than last time. So if you go into remission and I really hope you do, please be careful. It lurks in the background.

On a positive note, enjoy everyday you are Rosacea free, I would love a week without flushing and burning and being in constant pain.

Thank you so much for sharing this!!! It is definitely very helpful to read others' experiences with remission periods.

I'm currently a month into a remission myself, and I really hope it lasts...

A few things that really helped me:

#1. Switching to an AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) diet and lifestyle, tailored to my individual needs. If you are unfamiliar with Autoimmune Protocol, just Google and a lot of stuff will come up. There's plenty to read and learn. Phoenix Helix is one of the best resources to start with, and AIP is becoming more and more prevalent every day. This alone reduced my rosacea symptoms by about 85%.

#2. Getting rid of all cosmetics. I wash with my own homemade soap. Use raw honey as a gentle face wash, and moisturize with pure aloe vera gel. I also use the aloe vera gel as my hair gel. And, I finally started making my own toothpaste and deodorants (coconut oil and baking soda blends) to make sure they are as pure and gentle as possible. I never wear makeup or use perfumes of any kind. (Oh, and as a side note, I never wash or bathe in hot water... lukewarm).

#3. I try not to get overheated or get too much sun exposure. A big hat is worth the money... invest.

#4. Moderate-intensity exercise every day (hiking mostly)... and I switched my yoga routine to only doing upright poses... nothing with a head-down posture.

#5. Metrogel 1%... this controls the remaining 10-15% of my symptoms most of the time. I use it once daily, in the evening.

And, that's it. AIP is the hardest to get started, but it is sooooooo worth it! I can not say enough about how much it has helped me.

Blessings!!!
    Last edited by JennAdeleK; 15th March 2017 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JennAdeleK View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing this!!! It is definitely very helpful to read others' experiences with remission periods.
    I'm currently a month into a remission myself, and I really hope it lasts...
    A few things that really helped me:
    #1. Switching to an AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) diet and lifestyle, tailored to my individual needs. If you are unfamiliar with Autoimmune Protocol, just Google and a lot of stuff will come up. There's plenty to read and learn. Phoenix Helix is one of the best resources to start with, and AIP is becoming more and more prevalent every day. This alone reduced my rosacea symptoms by about 85%.
    #2. Getting rid of all cosmetics. I wash with my own homemade soap. Use raw honey as a gentle face wash, and moisturize with pure aloe vera gel. I also use the aloe vera gel as my hair gel. And, I finally started making my own toothpaste and deodorants (coconut oil and baking soda blends) to make sure they are as pure and gentle as possible. I never wear makeup or use perfumes of any kind. (Oh, and as a side note, I never wash or bathe in hot water... lukewarm).
    #3. I try not to get overheated or get too much sun exposure. A big hat is worth the money... invest.
    #4. Moderate-intensity exercise every day (hiking mostly)... and I switched my yoga routine to only doing upright poses... nothing with a head-down posture.
    #5. Metrogel 1%... this controls the remaining 10-15% of my symptoms most of the time. I use it once daily, in the evening.
    And, that's it. AIP is the hardest to get started, but it is sooooooo worth it! I can not say enough about how much it has helped me.
    Blessings!!!
    JennAdeleK,
    Thanks for your post about the AIP Diet. I found your post worthy of a post of my own on this subject. I am confident that anyone who is strong enough to actually follow the AIP Diet for thirty days will notice significant improvement in their rosacea. However, the vast majority of rosacea sufferers prefer to treat their rosacea with pills and topicals, so I doubt if many are tough enough to even try the AIP Diet for a week, let alone a month. By the way, if you want to understand the word remission better, go back for a week and eat all those sugary delights you have eliminated from your diet, eat all the fruit you want, and lots of carbohydrate and notice that your rosacea will return within a few days to a week. Remission really doesn't apply in this case. What you are doing is controlling your rosacea. The rosacea beast has only been tamed a bit, it will come out with a vengeance if you stop the AIP Diet and eat what you did before. Remission involves no symptoms or signs of a disease for at least five years (the cancer five year no evidence of disease [NED] example) There is a discussion of 'Partial remission' which may be used to describe what you are experiencing, but your rosacea is still just caged up.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

I get small remissions every month at that time of the month.
    My symptoms are pinkness of the butterfly area (used to be chin also, but it returned back to completely normal, thank god), blushing or flushing from the usual triggers, redness almost each morning after waking up, some really tiny visible capillaries and a stupid rhinitis which inflames my nostrils/nose skin seemingly randomly(I think I hate this one the most).
    So when this small remission kicks in my face becomes way paler - pretty much to what I used to look like, almost every morning I wake up beautifully pale like back in the day, then I see this magical change and obviously feel better about myself and therefore also more confident. I can still flush/get an inflamed nose while on my period but I just feel so much more contained and stable.
    No dr knows why this happens. Honestly, I can still get that paleness and feeling of stability sometimes even when I'm not on my period. This suggests that maybe my whole facial redness is just a nervous/anxiety thing. It's weird. I've been trying to pinpoint what's causing this quite amazing improvement but can't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by elegantsquatlobster View Post
    I get small remissions every month at that time of the month.
    My symptoms are pinkness of the butterfly area (used to be chin also, but it returned back to completely normal, thank god), blushing or flushing from the usual triggers, redness almost each morning after waking up, some really tiny visible capillaries and a stupid rhinitis which inflames my nostrils/nose skin seemingly randomly(I think I hate this one the most).
    So when this small remission kicks in my face becomes way paler - pretty much to what I used to look like, almost every morning I wake up beautifully pale like back in the day, then I see this magical change and obviously feel better about myself and therefore also more confident. I can still flush/get an inflamed nose while on my period but I just feel so much more contained and stable.
    No dr knows why this happens. Honestly, I can still get that paleness and feeling of stability sometimes even when I'm not on my period. This suggests that maybe my whole facial redness is just a nervous/anxiety thing. It's weird. I've been trying to pinpoint what's causing this quite amazing improvement but can't get it.
    Could it be hormones? Maybe when estrogen drops around your period, you clear up. I know I tend to naturally be a little more sensitive mid-cycle, when estrogen rises. Just a thought...

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought that maybe it's the estrogen dropping. Or maybe I have abnormally large amounts of it. I got my hormones checked once and the dr said they're perfectly fine. I even tried eating a really fiber rich diet because so you can flush out estrogen It didn't work... I've kind of given up on this idea. After all it would not be normal to have as small amount of estrogen as during period throughout the entire cycle. That just wouldn't work.
    Besides, ladies who go through menopause and start to flush a lot.. They actually flush because their estrogen drops.
    It's all really weird
    Last edited by elegantsquatlobster; 23rd March 2017 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elegantsquatlobster View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly what I thought that maybe it's the estrogen dropping. Or maybe I have abnormally large amounts of it. I got my hormones checked once and the dr said they're perfectly fine. I even tried eating a really fiber rich diet because so you can flush out estrogen It didn't work... I've kind of given up on this idea. After all it would not be normal to have as small amount of estrogen as during period throughout the entire cycle. That just wouldn't work.
    Besides, ladies who go through menopause and start to flush a lot.. They actually flush because their estrogen drops.
    It's all really weird
    Exactly! Oh, I'm so glad you said this! I was just talking with my husband the other night and saying that "I'm a woman and I have cycles and estrogen. There isn't a thing I can do about that... and really I need to cycle. It's healthy. It's just also annoying that it can negatively affect my rosacea every month."

Hi

Everyone, (with or without rosacea) has good skin days and bad skin days. I've never even thought about 'remission'. I have rosacea, I never used to have it and now I have it and one day I might not have it anymore but in the meantime I think it's healthy to have a day to day approach. A target of 5 years of good rosacea free skin to achieve remission seem's an extreme goal which I personally would find a bit soul destroying to strive for. Remission is just a word, I wouldn't get hung up on it. If I have a good day, or a run of good days I feel better and that's all that's important to me