Thread: Demodex Die Off or Bad Reaction?

Default Demodex Die Off or Bad Reaction?

I suspect I might have demodex on my face, trunk and hair. All the symptoms seem to check out. I started using sea salt twice a day for 5 days, as I read that it may be effective on demodex. This seemed to have brought some bumps to the surface. On Saturday, though, I stopped the sea salt and started to use Sulphur 10% soap and Sulphur 10% ointment once a day. I wash my face with the soap for 20 seconds and then apply the ointment for 10 minutes. I also wash my body with the soap and have been using 2% Sulphur and 2% Salicylic Acid shampoo for a couple of days.

I have noticed improvement at one point or another on all areas I've been trying to treat. In regards to my face, on the first couple of days my skin had great improvement, but I now seem to have had a setback and am unsure whether this is a reaction or die off. I woke up yesterday to burning, dryness, itchiness and a lot of red bumps (none of these have any pus, though). I know the red bumps will inevitably take a while to disappear, but the burning, drying and itchiness are still here. The constant burning and itchiness sound like a bad reaction instead of a die-off, particularly as I was applying more of the ointment onto my face than the first couple of days.

Can anyone else tell me about their experience with trying to treat demodex? This reaction has me worried and seems a little different to the norm. I think I might stick to just using the soap, but this begs the question whether the demodex can be killed in as little as 20 seconds upon coming in contact with sulphur.

To update my own post, I think that this is irritation due to overuse of the ointment. I had a think about what I did differently to my skin and I remember that I applied a lot more to certain areas. This was because I wasn't really focusing on them as much for the first couple of days as they aren't problem areas. Areas inclue my foreheard and sides of my face. The sides of my face in particular are bad at the moment because I have heavy stubble/light beard so was trying to really get the ointment onto this area.

This isn't to say that I don't think I have killed off some mites in these areas in the process, but I do wonder whether the ridiculously bad die-off people have is in some part due to using topicals that are much too harsh on the skin, like TTO, ZZ cream, Nu-Stock etc.

Plan of action will be to use the soap nightly, maybe keeping it on for a few minutes, and ointment once every few days. I'll update with my progress.

Sulphur has been used for over a hundred years to treat rosacea.

RosaceaWoman.jpg
    Margaret K., age 45, Ireland
    PATIENT AT the Skin Clinic of the Women's Medical College. Rosacea is a chronic disease of the middle period of life. These "rosy drops" sometimes present a central point of a somewhat darker hue. In severe cases a fiery triangle may be seen on either cheek. In the most remarkable form of the disease the nose may attain the size of the fist. The eruption had troubled her more or less for six years and had been much worse than usual during the last month. She complained greatly of discomfort after eating and often vomited her food. The gastric irritability having subsided under a restricted diet, she was ordered Aug. 6, 1878, a mixture containing sulphate of iron and sulphate of magnesia, and for local application an ointment of sulphur, four parts, cosmoline, ninety-two parts. This was followed by rapid improvement, and when seen again on Sept. 17, all trace of the eruption had disappeared, and she felt much stronger and better. Art and Medicine

If it is a die off demodex or whether you are simply reacting to the treatment my suggestion is to let your skin heal for a few days to see if it gets better. I overdosed on Soolantra and have let me skin heal for about a week now and I am doing so much better. Sometimes we simply do too much. Rosacea skin is sensitive and reacts easily to treatment. Sometimes less is more. I have used the ZZ cream for over ten years and only used it occasionally and on a regular basis and it works for me. The sublimed sulphur in the ZZ cream is good to me because I have oily skin. Some who have dry skin don't do well with sulphur since it dries out the skin. You will, in time, figure it out.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Glad to hear that you are able to keep your skin under control without daily application. You hear so many sufferers talk about pushing through with demodex, it's good to hear someone say that you can take your time and still get results.

My skin today is just as bad as yesterday, perhaps even worse. Besides the dozens of red and itchy bumps, it is also incredibly dry and tight at the moment that I have no other choice to stop treatment anyway and hope moisturising will provide some relief. On the plus side my trunk is looking quite improved - most probably because the skin is thicker and not as sensitive. I imagine my face would have had similar improvement if I hadn't abused it so much.

Update:

My skin is looking better than it has done in a very long time. I say this even with the current dryness and outbreak I have just had. How is this possible, you may ask? Well, redness is improved, as is texture, giving my skin more of a normal look with patches of bad skin instead of bad skin all over. My eyes are also no longer red, which is another huge plus. I always assumed that this was due to computer overuse, but apparently not.

The dryness is inevitable due to the drying nature of sulphur, and I'm assuming that the outbreak is due to the second wave of die-offs. I'm trying not to use moisturiser because it may feed the mites and my skin has actually never responded well to moisturiser well in the past. I'm feeling quite optimistic about my skin for once.

As a heads up, if you're thinking about using soap on your face, don't. I used it for a couple of days and it made my skin horrifically dry and tight and looked terrible for a few days. Just use 10% sulfur ointment, leaving it on for 10 minutes and rinsing off with water. I use the De La Cruz brand. You can also apply it to your eyelashes without a burning sensation. So if you have red eyes, give it a go.

I use Grisi soap (10%) on my body. I leave it on my trunk for 10 minutes, step in the shower, wash it off, and just wash the rest of my body normally with the sulphur soap. I would prefer to do this everyday, but the smell of sulphur lingers. So I only use the soap if I don't need to go out that day.

In hindsight, the reaction I was talking about at the beginning of this thread probably was just a mass die off. People starting treatment need to know that it can be worse than you ever imagined and isn't necessarily due to a bad reaction, even if your skin does burn, itch intensely and is covered in hive like bumps. I would recommend starting treatment with sulphur if you can get away without being anywhere for a week for the first die-off.

Great that things are going well for you, and thank you for sharing with us. Another testimony to "hang in there" when treating for demodex will help people in similar situations!

Update:

It's been about 7 weeks now and things continue to improve. For the first time in my life, I believe 100% clearance or thereabouts is only a matter of time. There has been one key change that I think has made the world of difference.

As good as that sulphur ointment was and I'm certainy thankful that I found and started using it, my skin became horrifically dry. It was so bad that I looked better before treatment began. So for the past week I've been using Sulphur and Neem soap instead (I still use the ointment on my lashes).

I wash my face once a night and my body daily. I even used it on my hair a couple of times. It's packed full of ingredients that are effective in the battle against demodex: Water, Lye, Castor Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Olive Oil, Sulphur powder, Neem Essential Oil, Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Sodium Lactate, Aloe Vera gel, Cocoa butter, Stearic Acid.

I think Neem is a pretty special ingredient. Solely using the sulphur soap on my trunk, for example, led to some improvement but then things started to stagnate. Use of the sulphur and neem soap has managed to clear my trunk 80% in a week. In regards to my face, use of the soap has reduced redness and it seems to have an exfoliating effect too.

I realise that I'm approaching the period where my skin is actually meant to start clearing up for good, but I'm sure that my skin wouldn't look this good if I just continued to use sulphur. It's just so very harsh on skin.

I've also started using moisturiser on areas of my face where it is needed. This tends to be near the sideburns. Moisturiser always used to break me out and just generally made my skin look worse. I think that now there has been a significant reduction in the demodex population I can safely use moisturiser without feeding the mites.

I'll update in a few more weeks with hopefully news of complete clearance.
    Last edited by Pauly; 10th April 2017 at 05:03 PM.

Pauly,

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Update:

I think that the neem and sulphur soap and sulfur ointment have taken me as far as they can - about 80% clearance. I want complete clearance so I've been using ZZ Cream for the past 12 days with very positive results. I think that this will be the product that will finally get me there. Not just because of the added ingredients, but also because I can also leave the cream on my skin overnight without drying it out or burning it. Whereas the ointment was washed off within 10 minutes and the soap within a few weeks left my face with a waxy texture - as soaps tend to do. I still wash my trunk with the soap and also my hair every now and again.

I'm also going to start using ZZ Cream on my trunk at some point. Unfortunately, this is going to be quite expensive to do. My advice is to just use ZZ cream from the beginning if you suspect you have demodex. I estimate that a pot will last me a couple of months with once daily application to the face.

Default Sea Sa;t!

I've been using a sea salt "rinse" (sea salt and filtered water) on my face for a week or so and it has done wonders. I put away my washcloth, and was "gentler" w/my facial routine at night. ALSO: stopped eating all gluten/nuts or anything that might give me a stomach "upset". I really think gastrointestinal issues are related to rosacea... but, anyway. We are ALL different. This has really helped, for me. You?