Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have such a big red nose

Default I have such a big red nose

https://i.redd.it/kvqnvuoq6sdy.jpg

I'm not sure what to do, it is making my life so hard. I try to just ignore it and listen to my friends when they say it isn't a big deal and barely noticable but deep inside I think I know that it is pretty bad. A lot of people when they first see me touch their nose. I also hate how when I am hanging out I can never be sure whats going to happen and sometimes I can feel it throbbing when it is flaring up super bad.
    I recently had a mushroom experience that made me look in the mirror and really see myself and it has ruined my self esteem completely. I try to sleep most of the day now and have a hard time motivating myself to go to work and hang out with friends. I broke up with my girlfriend (so lucky to even have one) because I didn't feel comfortable in a relationship knowing that I was so weird looking and it was driving me so mad and I was so not comfortable with myself when my girlfriend was so awesome.
    I have tried a lot of different things and spend a huge portion of my day (maybe 80-90%) looking for things to possibly cure or help it and trying to find other people in similar situations to feel a little bit more accepted and in place.
    I feel so out of place and so unfit for society and this world. I really want to go back to not really thinking about it and having hobbies and being funny and close to my friends, but lately I just can't seem to get my mind off how horrendously huge and crimson my snout is. Like I could take it being super big, or super red but having both is just super super difficult to deal with.
    Here are some of things I have tried:
    -Cutting out dairy and caffeine and wheat -Exercise
    -Moistuirizing (currently using Cerave)
    -Not washing for a period of time
    -Taking colder showers
    -Zinc soap
    -Tea tree oil
    -Activated Charcoal
    -Hemp oil
    -Coconut oil
    -Topical steroids
    -Benzoyl peroxide
    -Satalyic Acid
    -Head and shoulders shampoo on da face
    Anyways, sorry for the rant. Just looking for someone to hear me out super deeply, I try to open up to my friends but they usually are quick to say something like "oh its not so bad" or like "well you are your harshest critic!" but then its like, I can look in the mirror and see it and its pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian97 View Post

I'm not sure what to do, it is making my life so hard. I try to just ignore it and listen to my friends when they say it isn't a big deal and barely noticable but deep inside I think I know that it is pretty bad. A lot of people when they first see me touch their nose. I also hate how when I am hanging out I can never be sure whats going to happen and sometimes I can feel it throbbing when it is flaring up super bad.
    I recently had a mushroom experience that made me look in the mirror and really see myself and it has ruined my self esteem completely. I try to sleep most of the day now and have a hard time motivating myself to go to work and hang out with friends. I broke up with my girlfriend (so lucky to even have one) because I didn't feel comfortable in a relationship knowing that I was so weird looking and it was driving me so mad and I was so not comfortable with myself when my girlfriend was so awesome.
    I have tried a lot of different things and spend a huge portion of my day (maybe 80-90%) looking for things to possibly cure or help it and trying to find other people in similar situations to feel a little bit more accepted and in place.
    I feel so out of place and so unfit for society and this world. I really want to go back to not really thinking about it and having hobbies and being funny and close to my friends, but lately I just can't seem to get my mind off how horrendously huge and crimson my snout is. Like I could take it being super big, or super red but having both is just super super difficult to deal with.
    -Taking colder showers
    -Zinc soap
    -Tea tree oil
    -Activated Charcoal
    -Hemp oil
    -Coconut oil
    -Topical steroids
    -Benzoyl peroxide
    -Satalyic Acid
    Anyways, sorry for the rant. Just looking for someone to hear me out super deeply, I try to open up to my friends but they usually are quick to say something like "oh its not so bad" or like "well you are your harshest critic!" but then its like, I can look in the mirror and see it and its pretty bad.
    How about going to see a dermatologist? Also, stay away from the steroids.

Default Re: Red nose

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian97 View Post

-Taking colder showers
    -Zinc soap
    -Tea tree oil
    -Activated Charcoal
    -Hemp oil
    -Coconut oil
    -Topical steroids
    -Benzoyl peroxide
    -Satalyic Acid
    Hi Sebastian:
    Have you talked to a Derm about Laser treatments? This looks like the early stages of Rhinophyma. Right now, it looks pretty undetectable but you may want to treat it before it gets any worse. At least, it looks like your nose is the only part of your face that has any redness.

Basically you look fine to me!https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea.../001_smile.gif

Your nose per se is not the problem, its color is in some way. Your friends are right, it is not so noticeable. If I were a gay, I would find you an attractive man.
    However as the color seems to be issue (the size of nose is gentically determined) I would just go for laser treatment. You are still lucky to have just redder nose, not whole face.

I would try laser and metro cream. And I know it seems bad but it actually looks quite mild, which is a good thing! I'd still stay away from sugar and dairy. Also I work in makeup and I've sold tinted moisturizers to men who want a non noticeable coverage.. maybe not your thing but something to consider!

chin up, man, you look great, and I mean that. As for the red nose, I've had one for the last years as well. I tried Soolantra 6 months ago (containing Ivermectin, for killing demodex), and it made my nose normal again. Good luck

sebastian,
    Are you still around? We haven't heard from you for nearly a month. What are you doing now to treat your redness?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Hey wow, thanks for all the support and responses everyone it means so much.

I have seen a dermatologist locally about it, but he didn't even look at my face and was trying to prescribe benzoyl peroxide for acne, when I told him I didn't have acne and needed something for my snout, he prescribed steroid cream and when I told him I had already used it he insisted I tried it. I am going to try and see a dermatologist in a city that will hopefully take a closer look and can tell me about laser treatments.

Lately I have been focusing on not eating grains, dairy, or any added sugars which has been good for my health. I noticed I have pretty bad oral thrush which is linked to candida overgrowth and so I have been working on trying to clear that up as well in case my gut health is linked. I take a strong probiotic, drink a little apple cider vinegar, I take MSM, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Zinc, oil of oregano, grapefruit seed extract, a couple other things as well for helping gut health.

What is interesting is my nose is only slightly red when I first wake up, it is definitely when it looks the best. For some reason though shortly after brushing my teeth and moving around and thinking a bit my nose begins to flush up again and I can usually feel it doing it. It makes me wanna sleep all day honestly just so my face looks clear.

For topicals I tried zinc cream for a little while which didn't seem to help or hurt in any way, and this moisturizer that was made for red irritated skin called Zeoderm Salcura Skin but it made my skin flare up intensely right after using it sadly. If I don't shower my redness calms down a lot but the flakiness from my seb derm goes crazy. I was wondering if I should try some sort of caveman regiment where I don't let water touch my face and see where that goes.

Also really strange is sometimes if im super focused on a video game, working on art, playing an instrument it seems like the flushing goes down a good bit, but this is really hard to maintain because I constantly worry about it and get sad and check in the mirror. I also sometimes feel like theres almost a weird smell coming off the skin on my nose but it's really hard to tell and I don't want to ask my girlfriend to smell my nose for me to make sure . If it is making a weird smell on the skin I wonder if its some sort of fungal rash?

I really wonder if there's someway I can harness whatever happens in my sleep that is causing the flushing to go almost completely away. I try not to think about it most of the time or worry and just be in the moment, but sometimes when I am with my girlfriend and I catch my face too close in the mirror I can get really deeply depressed about how my nose looks.

Seems like soolanta is definitely something worth trying, do I need to go to a dermatologist and ask them to prescribe it to me?

Thank you guys so much, I was so stoked when I saw that I had any replies! I am so amazed at this communities genuine support and care.
    Last edited by sebastian97; 8th March 2017 at 09:33 AM.

I feel bad replying first here, considering the people with the real knowledge are those behind the other replies you have gotten, but I can at least give you my experience:

4 years ago started getting a red nose, much like you describe, best in the morning and worse as day proceeds. First thing was of course to try and fix my diet. God, I was so healthy, but didn't do **** with the redness on my nose. Tried treating it as seborrheic dermatitis, didn't do much. Accutane, didn't do much, maybe even made it more red. Sulphur, made it super, super read. 6 months ago I started spot treating it with Soolantra, and today was the first day at work for a really, really long time with no make-up on the nose (yes, man, straight and make-up). And yes, you need a prescription from your doctor. If you go this route, though, I'd recommend to not just spot treat the nose, but whole face. My eyes has just been a complete mess after starting Soolantra and perioral area has gotten really, really red (Ivermectin in Soolantra kills demodex mite, which some theorize can move all over your face, so when you spot treat, they move to a different place. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, guys!). So the Accutane and sulphur probably made my nose red because of a demodex reaction: what I'm saying is, if you get a reaction, its not maybe a bad thing...

Stay strong!

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    I feel bad replying first here, considering the people with the real knowledge are those behind the other replies you have gotten, but I can at least give you my experience:

4 years ago started getting a red nose, much like you describe, best in the morning and worse as day proceeds. First thing was of course to try and fix my diet. God, I was so healthy, but didn't do **** with the redness on my nose. Tried treating it as seborrheic dermatitis, didn't do much. Accutane, didn't do much, maybe even made it more red. Sulphur, made it super, super read. 6 months ago I started spot treating it with Soolantra, and today was the first day at work for a really, really long time with no make-up on the nose (yes, man, straight and make-up). And yes, you need a prescription from your doctor. If you go this route, though, I'd recommend to not just spot treat the nose, but whole face. My eyes has just been a complete mess after starting Soolantra and perioral area has gotten really, really red (Ivermectin in Soolantra kills demodex mite, which some theorize can move all over your face, so when you spot treat, they move to a different place. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, guys!). So the Accutane and sulphur probably made my nose red because of a demodex reaction: what I'm saying is, if you get a reaction, its not maybe a bad thing...

Stay strong!
    Good advice, and yes you are correct