Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Interesting piece about oxymetazoline

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondS View Post
    I tested I again last night and put in on without anything over the top of it or any product underneath and I lathered a fair amount in a area size of a coin and it definitely was white in the morning..but I had a white coin patch for a day ...so defiantly needs to be everywhere if you have redness a lot in your face.
    how much %? cream/gel?

.5 cream and I had no rebound but I just find this cream hard to use as I never know if it's going to work or not.

I also have 0.5 / but great effects I did not see.

I tested I again last night and put in on without anything over the top of it or any product underneath and I lathered a fair amount in a area size of a coin and it definitely was white in the morning..but I had a white coin patch for a day ...so defiantly needs to be everywhere if you have redness a lot in your face.
    "I put it on without anything over the top of it or any product underneath " . Its good to finally see someone using common sense .

Hey Fiugs, I've also read the warm room flush theory and it is very reasonable and even inspiring (reversing rosacea, woohoo) but do take it with a grain of salt because it isn't reviewed by any other doctors. And what exactly are these neuropeptides anyway? How do they work? There's tons of them but the author doesn't go into any more detail.
    Essentially, what the author of that article says is that it's important to decerase the "skin infrastructure" as he calls it. Basically capillaries that are probably too many in rosacea skin. Now that does make sense. I also made a post here about antiangiogenic therapy (angiogenesis is the growth of new capillaries). Maybe you can check it out and say what you think about it? https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...antiangiogenic

Can someone explain or link what the warm room flush theory is ? And what's it got to do with oxy?

Default It has reduced redness

Quote Originally Posted by julien420 View Post
    Hi Fiugs

I thought you said you were just going to rub it on a small patch , to see what happens , thats hardly going to do any damage
    Fair enough point :-)

OK, so I tried the 1% gel this morning... But please everyone, bear in mind that my background redness is pretty reduced lately - and I have also not flushed for almost two weeks now...

I did two patch tests of the gel.. one on a slight patch of background redness above my eyebrow and another on a patch of redness under my left cheekbone. After one hour the redness had faded, but it had a slightly blotchy appearance, which made it look as though I have little pimples in my eyebrow (who knows...maybe I have and they were previously hidden in the background redness). I think RaymondS may have reported something similar. Perhaps a regular user might get more expert at applying the gel evenly after several days.

I will report back tomorrow as to whether or not there appears to have been any rebound flush, but as my symptoms do seem to have abated quite a lot recently I may not be the best lab rat.

As I am unlikely to want to use this any more I would like to gift it to anyone here who would like to try it for themselves. It feels fair to me to offer it to Poppe first, as she has already invested money in trialling this... Poppe, if you are interested, please PM me your address. If you ould prefer not to try the 1% gel, could you let us all know by posting your reply HERE after which I will happily send it to whoever requests it first... For obvious reasons, it would make sense for me not to have to post it to someone who live closer to Australia than to me here in Scotland :-)

Default Warm room flush theory

Can someone explain or link what the warm room flush theory is ? And what's it got to do with oxy?
    Here a link to the article about the warm room flush theory.

I mentioned the theory to my derm and she seemed to feel it made sense. Perhaps it has not been taken up by many in the medical profession because it bypasses the need to purchase any pharmaceuticals? I know it has been mentioned here that Dr Crouch (God rest his soul) recommended it to his IPL patients.

Although the warm room flush article makes sense to me, I do think however that my reduction in symptoms is probably mostly due to the IPLs Ive been having starting to have an effect.. Ive had four now and exactly 6 weeks after the 3rd I felt like I had turned a small corner. Im there days after my fourth IPL and my usual horrible flushing reaction in the weeks following IPL just hasn't happened this time ... The other things I"m noticing is that my face doesn't get red after I wash it anymore. I am finally able to sit in a room that is over 18 deg C without flushing. I got a little pink but that was it.. I lit the wood stove last night and the room must have been at least 21 deg.. for me not to flush in that is a near miracle.

Default PS Edited version!

PS

How annoying.. I edited my post above to add more info - but I took longer than 10 minutes, so it wouldn't allow me to update it. Luckily I copied it before I submitted because Ive been caught out before

Here is the edited version:

Here a link to the article about the warm room flush theory.

Search 'warm room flush theory' here and esp on David Pascoe's forum and you'll see lots about it, including a detailed interview with the writer, Colin Dahl.

I mentioned the theory to my derm and she seemed to feel it made sense. Perhaps it has not been taken up by many in the medical profession because it bypasses the need to purchase any pharmaceuticals? Or is that too much like 'conspiracy-theory' thinking? I know it has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum that Dr Crouch (God rest his soul) recommended this article to his IPL patients.

In my wee, inexpert mind, the link between the warm room flush theory and Oxy is that they are both, in their own way, trying to reduce the hyper reactivity of rosacea vasculature.. in the case of the warm room theory, by keeping the face warm and therefore the capillaries un-constricted. In the case of Oxy by doing the opposite - constructing the capillaries. As I understand it, the argument for the former approach is that the agencies (certain neuropeptides) that cause flushing build up in the skin during periods of capillary constriction ...and are released when they finally dilate. In a 'normal' person, this is a minor event, in a rosacea its... well ... one of our beloved flushes, becuase we like to produce too many neuropeptides

I can't, therefore, see the counter argument for the benifit of constricting the capillaries, IF it is indeed the case that we are setting ourselves up for a flush somewhere down the line by doing so. I guess this is the rebound we hear about with topicals like mirvaso.. and the suggestion, it seems to me, is that going from a cold to a warm face too quickly is just another way of ensuring a rebound.

Of course the movement from constricted to dilated may be very slow in Oxymetazoline, compared to Mirvaso, which is why its probably worth trialling... but my question, really, is - is it a good idea to constrict the capillaries for a long period if this is when the flushing mechanisms are being produced?

Although the warm room flush article makes sense to me, I do think however that my reduction in symptoms cannot be down to my trying this for the last week or two, becuase its too soon, I would have thought, to see results from this (please correct me someone if I'm wrong) is probably mostly due to the IPLs Ive been having starting to have an effect.. Ive had four now - and exactly 6 weeks after the 3rd I felt like I had turned a small corner. Im currently three days after my fourth IPL and my usual horrible flushing reaction in the weeks following IPL just hasn't happened this time ... The other thing I"m noticing is that my face doesn't get red after I wash it anymore. I am also finally able to sit in a room that is over 18 deg C without flushing. I lit the wood stove last night and the room must have been at least 21 deg.. I got a little pink, but that was it.. for me not to flush in that kind of warmth is a near miracle.

@Fiugs, Your IPL is called "Ive"? IPL Ive?