Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super impressed with this dermatolgoist and new skin regime (so far)

Default Super impressed with this dermatolgoist and new skin regime (so far)

It's been a while since I've been on this forum. I have quite a lot of things to post but will do so in separate threads over the next few weeks.

This post is about a visit to a dermatologist last week. After a relatively okay-ish two years I foolishly tried an experiment on my skin. My scalp had been really itchy and I decided to see if changing my shampoo could help. While researching this on the internet, I read that some 'cured' their rosacea with selenium sulphide shampoo, supposedly because it has an anti-fungal effect. So I bought some, washed my hair with it and, as an experiment, put a tiny dab on each side of my nose. Mistake. BIG mistake. I guess we are all looking for that one magic potion, aren't we?

What followed was what can only be described as an 'oil slick' on my nose and on the skin around my nose and later a series of nasty long-lasting pustules emanating from the nose outwards towards my cheeks. Plus intense skin flakiness mainly around the nose area. I have always been a flusher/blusher with the occasional blemish occurring when I stopped and started doxycycline. So, a face full of permanent redness and pimples was a bit of a shocker for me. It also came at the worst possible time - I had just started a new job in a new city.

Anyway, to get to the point of my post, after four months of dealing with my skin in this state (because it just wasn't improving and my mood was getting darker and darker) I decided a visit to the dermatologist was necessary.

After suffering with rosacea for almost twenty years I have seen my share of dermatologists. None would even consider a skin mite theory.

The dermatologist I saw last week completely blew me away because he said right from the start that I had a skin mite overgrowth. He said that a couple of years ago he changed his approach to rosacea and has seen great success with his new treatment regime. Have I missed something? Is this the new trend among dermatologists? Let's hope more dermatologists will be more open to fresh ideas.

He has prescribed the following for me:

A cream made by a compounding pharmacist containing metronidazole, ivermectin, hyaluronic acid, vit PP(vitamin B3) in a base of glucidal cream.

7 milligrams of isotretinoin taken once a day

metronidazole drops for my ocular rosacea

SPF 50 (he said it was important that it was in gel format)

and a gentle oatmeal milk face wash for sensitive skin

So, I will starting this skin regime on Friday (tomorrow). I am literally TERRIFIED to start, especially about taking isotretinoin, even if it is a low dose, but I'm really trying to stay positive and hope for the best.

If anybody has advice or comments for me I would be very grateful to hear them. Or if anybody wants more details about the treatment or doctor, let me know.

Default South Africa Compounding Formula for Rosacea

Thanks for the report. Another compounding formula for rosacea. Maybe someone will come up with something that really works. I have put your formula on the RRDi so all you do is go to our site and use the search box and type in kalamazoo. Please keep us updated on your experience using this for rosacea.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 13th January 2017 at 06:40 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default Dermatologist in Spain

Thanks Brady.

Note that this was given to me by a dermatologist in Spain.

Kalamazoo,

Thanks for the clarification. I changed it to Spanish. I see you removed your South Africa location.

If you could give some more particulars regarding this formula, like the percentages or amounts for the metronidazole, ivermectin, hyaluronic acid, vit PP(vitamin B3) in a base of glucidal cream that would prove helpful since without a doubt someone will ask. What does PP stand for. I know you put in parenthesis Vitamin B3 which is niacin, so what does the PP stand for? I googled glucidal cream and didn't come up with much. Is this glucidal cream misspelled? What is the amount of glucidal cream used to prepare the formula?

And we sure look forward to your reporting back the results. Please don't be like Deansm who posted an incredible compounding formula who said it did wonders and then disappears. This thread probably won't be very popular unless you report back that you have good results. So please report back your results.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default Here are the specifics of the compounded cream

Here are the specifics of the cream:

30 gram 'crema glucidica' for sensitive skin containing:
    1% metronidazol
    1% ivermectin
    0,5% hyaluronic acid
    5% vitamin PP (vitamin B3)
    0,5% glyceral acid

Apply 1 to 2 times a day.

(According to Wikipedia Vitamin B3 or niacin ''has historically been referred to as vitamin PP . . . derived from the term "pellagra-preventive factor"''. Pellagra is a vitamin deficiency disease most frequently caused by a chronic lack of niacin.)

The base is 'crema glucidica' in Spanish. I'm really not sure what the exact translation into English is. Glucidal cream is the best I can come up with.

Yes, I will report back regarding results (or lack of results).

Default Results of Days 1, 2 and 3 on low-dose isotretinoin

Day 1 - no reaction
    Day 2 - looks very slightly worse, with one new pustule
    Day 3 - a major flush about an hour and a half after taking the isotretinoin, red swollen nose, red cheeks etc

I know it supposedly gets worse before it gets better so I'm trying not to panic!

Mood in general = low

How are your eyes on the drops?

Default Metronidazole eye drops

Hi Faith1989

Actually my eyes are doing surprisingly well with the drops.

There's definitely a reduction in irritation and itchiness.

Default Day 11 of isotretinoin

A bit of an update:

So far, eleven days on the isotretinoin.

I have been continuing with my treatment and I've seen some blemishes resolve but also a couple of new breakouts. My skin is feeling slightly calmer and maybe a touch paler, although still pinkish in general with a few red blemishes.

I think I have also seen a slight improvement in texture. Throughout the last 20 years or so of living with rosacea my texture has always been perfect until about 2 and a half years ago. But that's another story for another post.

What I am experiencing now is very intense pain in what feels like my sinuses. The pain goes into the upper half of my jaw. I'm actually taking painkillers just to get through the day at work. It's kind of like an intense throbbing pressure. I have been feeling this sensation mildly for a few years actually but since starting the isotretinoin it has become intense. Well, Im hoping this will eventually clear as the treatment progresses.

Also, something else to note is that I'm not sleeping well at all. After doing a bit of research on the internet I discovered this can be a side effect of taking isotretinoin.

Default Urinary tract infection on isotretinoin

An update:

Day 13: I have a urinary tract infection. Burning, the sensation of always needing to pee and even a little blood in my pee. I decided to skip the isotretinoin tonight and started drinking as much water as possible and cranberry juice (sickly sweet, I wish I could track down one without sugar). After some investigation, I see that urinary tract infections are fairly common with those taking isotretinoin.

Day 14 and 15: Improvement in symptoms. Appears that infection is almost gone. Taking the daily isotretinoin again. Note to self: Drink water! Lots of water!
    As far as the skin is concerned, it's a little calmer although still blemished and a little flushed, especially in the nose area.

Trying hard to be positive.

Onwards!